PDA

View Full Version : What do people wear in December??

Dsnygirl
05-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Okay, this may be a bit compulsive.... but I have to wonder what kind of clothes people wear to Disney at Christmastime. Not based on the temps - I know what to expect there - but rather on the season. I've never been to Florida in the winter, and am so used to seeing everybody in bright, summer, tropical colors!

As I live in the North, I'm more used to wearing "winter colors" from November on, so most of my warmer stuff that I'd bring to Disney is muted, earthy tones... browns, blacks, navy, red.... I don't really own much in the way of warmer, tropical colored stuff!!

So - that's where my question comes from. Does everybody pretty much still wear the great, bright colors I associate with Florida and Disney trips, just in warmer layers, or do they also tend more towards Christmas/winter colors in December/January?

Thanks -- it may sound a little OCD to ask such a thing, but I'd love the excuse to have to buy a few new bright, warm, pretty things for our winter trip! :blush:

RockinRollerMom
05-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I was there the first week of December last year and I have to admit I really didn't notice. I can tell you that I was most comfortable it capris/shorts with a t-shirt. We would need a light jacket/sweater for early morning and evenings. Every-one does get into the christmas mood down there. Disney sells christmas themed hats which are great and really get you into the spirit. By husband bought a santa hat with light up goofy ears. They are a lot of fun. My daughter got a t-shirt at the MVMCP.

Bright or dark colors, you should be fine either way. The disney christmas magic is infectious no matter what you are wearing!! This is now our favorite time to visit the world. Have a blast!!!

dundeehunter
05-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I was in WDW this past December 5-11 and I saw a lot of reds and greens, X-mas colors. We also saw ALOT of matching outfits for both the children and then a lot of entire families matching...including extended families. I think maybe with all of the decorations, it would make for some GREAT Christmas card pictures with families coordinating their outfits. We were also at the MMVCP event and saw a lot of people in special made christmas t-shirts. I wouldn't make my hubby wear matching shirts, but my daughters did enjoy matching a few days this trip.

Aggie97
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
We visited WDW the past two Decembers, and I wore short-sleeved shirts and capris/shorts every day -- my usual summertime clothing, which tends to be a mix of bright and dark colors. We did add a light layer, such as a long-sleeved T-shirt, many evenings.

Many people were wearing festive Christmas T-shirts and hats.

On past trips, we have needed more wintery attire. I just wore my usual jeans/khakis and long-sleeved, generally dark-colored tops and jackets (we also lived up north until last summer).

So, you might not even end up wearing any warmer, wintery clothing when you are there. But if you do, I don't think you will feel at all out of place in your winter clothing from home. :mickey:

Taja
05-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Wear what ever is comfortable for you. You'll see lights and brights, as well as more traditional seasonal colours.

I had a cute holly embroidered long-sleeved t-shirt to wear for MVMCP last year. It was so warm that I wore a jewel-tone, multi-color tank top. Never did get to wear the t-shirt! :) When it cooled off, it was so cold I wore thermal weave shirts or sweat shirts!

My wardrobe is based on black, so no matter what the season or time of year, my basics are black! My professional wardrobe is made casual by switching out tanks and tees rather than more business appropriate shells and shirts. I don't have a vacation wardrobe--or much in the way of casual clothing. Definitely in the minority, I'm sure!

So if you see me in the parks in the summer, I'll be wearing black slacks with jewel-tone tanks or t-shirts. If you see me in colder weather, I'll be wearing black slacks with what ever is appropriate to keep me warm or cool! *LOL*

Edited to add:

Unless you're doing something formal, Florida tends to go for lights and brights year round. However, since WDW guests arrive from around the world, they wear what is appropriate for them. If you want to wear lights and brights, go for it. If you want to wear seasonal colours, that's fine, too!

Janmac
05-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't know what the rest of the crowd wears in December but it does seem to me better to wear brighter colors in Florida, even tho it's winter and even tho it might be very chilly.

What I've started doing is bring my tropical colored warm weather clothes and if the temps warrant another layer, use a Christmas themed sweatshirt. Preferrably even a Christmas Disney themed sweatshirt.

Talk about compulsive, a few trips ago I started hunting for Disney Christmas themed sweatshirts just for that purpose. Of course it helps to carry it a bit further to several Disney Christmas themed t-shirts too!

My favorite Disney Christmas sweatshirt is white - always a nice bright - with Santa surrounded by most ofthe Disney characters.

Our December 2006 trip was so cold I was was wishing I had thought to bring scarf, hat and mittens too. A big jacket wouldn't have been too warm, some of the evenings, that first week.

The week after we left, some of the overnight lows were warmer than the daytime highs had been the week we were there. It helps to be prepared, I just wasn't as prepared as I would have liked. We always bring a little of everything and plan on washing clothes.

Definitely, get some warmer clothes in brighter colors! Altho, with all the Disney Christmas theming all over the parks and resorts, you could easily go with reds. Come to think of it, we decorated my little grandnieces's stroller with lime greens and hot pinks - had no trouble finding all sorts of fun Christmas decorations in those colors. Those would be great tropical colors if you can something in those.

Now we're being compulsive about how do we decorate her stroller for September?!?!?

Enjoy your December trip!

Jan

disneylovinmom
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
We went 12-15 thru 12-22. It can be 85 one day and 40 the next. I wore capris and a t-shirt on hotter days and jeans and a sweatshirt (Indianapolis Colts, of course) when it was cold. I also had long sleeve Christmas tees for the days that it was warm, but not hot and wore a holiday sweater over it for the MVMCP. Most nights we were comfy in long sleeves and jeans. I think most others wore similar items. You would also see people in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops when it was 40 degrees. It's Florida. Just about anything goes. Check the weather forecast just a few days before you go so you can pack accordingly.

JPL
05-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I can tell you being there in December through i would say February is a tricky time to pack for. You can literally go from shorts and a tank top to a winter coat in the span of a day. This past January I had jeans and a light jacket in the morning wished I had shorts by noon and then needed my sweatshirt and heavier jacket for EMH's at the MK. The same was true the year before in December. I have seen it drop 40 degrees in a matter of hours. I would suggest bringing a backpack with a change of clothes to the parks and storing it in a locker just tio be safe. I wasted some valuable time going back to the room to change.

SAHDad
05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd wear whatever I normally wear - probably jeans and a T-shirt.

(Odd tangent - when we were last there, the weather report was telling people to wear long sleeves and bring gloves, just in case, because it might be "cold", ie 45 degrees or so. "Cold" around here doesn't happen until the thermometer starts reading single (Fahrenheit) digits.)

disneydeb
05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
The lasst time we were there at Christmas, we didn't bring enough cold weather clothes. I'm beinging a couple pair of jeans and some khaki's as well as a couple pair of capris.Some tee shirts and some sweat shirts in a Christmas/holiday theme.

Marker
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I can honestly say, I don't believe I have ever, or will ever, adjust the color of my clothing by what month, or what season, it is. I wear what I wear, if it's the "wrong" color, oh well.

Heck, I even wear shorts in the winter, and I don't live in a warm winter climate.

KAT1811
05-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Personally I would bring the lighter parts of my wardrobe. I live in the north and it does get quite cold here in the winter, that being said I do not have very many winter clothing options in bright, tropical colors. We are planning on traveling in November and I will bring the brightest of my cool weather wardrobe.

Taja
05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd wear whatever I normally wear - probably jeans and a T-shirt.

(Odd tangent - when we were last there, the weather report was telling people to wear long sleeves and bring gloves, just in case, because it might be "cold", ie 45 degrees or so. "Cold" around here doesn't happen until the thermometer starts reading single (Fahrenheit) digits.)

I have the same issue--in the opposite direction. We don't declare it to be "hot" until the temperature is 105 degrees Fahrenheit! *LOL*

However, cold is in the mid-sixties! ;)

DisneyDog
05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Just don't wear white shoes/belt/pants. :thumbsup: I would just wear what makes you comfortable.

Stitchahula
05-08-2008, 03:28 PM
When we went down in Dec. a couple of years ago I went from jeans, t-shirt and fleece jacket one day to tank top and shorts the next. Nights seem to be colder so you might want to bring a jacket with you.

meldan98
05-08-2008, 11:18 PM
My suggestion would be to be prepared for anything. We went in 2000 Xmas week for our honeymoon and I looked at all of the forecasts and was prepared for lows in the 40's and high's in the upper 60's. I packed a sweatshirt for me and the t-shirts, jeans and shorts (we did the cruise too). The first morning we walked out of the Beach Club Resort and the bell hopped looked at us and said we had better go back up and get more clothes. We laughed and walked outside. It was 20 - THAT'S RIGHT 20!!! We hit a freak ice storm. For the next 4 days, it never got above 40. WDW actually sold out of gloves, sweatshirts, knit hats, scarves...you name it. WE FROZE our mickey ears off.

We went the first week of Dec in 2007 and my dd actually got heat sickness from the heat and humidity. We aren't quite used to humidity and she is very heat sensitive. It was in the low to mid 80's, but by the end of the week, we were bundled up.

Best of luck, especially with all the current baggage restrictions. I would just pack for all weather and then just do laundry.

MsMin
05-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Since I live in the south I have a darker winter wardrobe; but, I don't expect anyone to go out and purchase special clothes. Typically we look at someone in bright colors summer clothes and say they must be from the north ;). We wear dark colors in winter but have many things like shorts and lighter clothes in darker colors. I don't bring my white capris in winter :nono: ;)