PDA

View Full Version : Just got back...some thoughts

Space Mountain Man
05-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Spent last week trolling all four parks with my two DDs, 11 and 14. Some thoughts for those planning a vacation anytime soon.

1. We stayed offsite for the first time in recent memory, right in Kissimmee, no more than 2 miles from the main gate entrance. While this made for quicker drives in to the parks in the morning, it lessened the experience somewhat. Not being wrapped in the "Disney feel" was a bit of a downer. And, paying $11 to park each day was annoying.

2. Driving from park to park mid-day is nice in theory, and we had access to the AAA lots, but it adds quite a bit of walking. Not sure if I would do that again.

3. Making the rope drop in the am is a huge difference. We made it three of our five days, and got much more done on those days, particularly by clever use of our fastpasses. I cannot imagine standing line for Kilimanjaro for over two hours--it's a great attraction, but by getting in early and heading straight there, it was much better.

4. Having not ridden Everest, Rock N, or Tower of Terror before (my kids were too young)...they're all amazing rides. I'm a coaster nut, so EE and RNR were incredible. Very well done.

5. Maybe someone can confirm, but last week there seemed to be a lot of school trips in the parks from local schools...and many/most were in Animal Kingdom. I think I'd stay away from that particular park on Thurs/Fri when the most field trips happen.

6. If you're planning to pack a water bottle each day (or a couple), go to the grocery store and grab some of the small single-serving packets of lemonade, or Kool-aid, whatever. Makes the H20 go down much easier with that off-taste you get in Florida.

7. We used the small 'string-strap' bags that many of the teenagers use for a quick trip. These were much better than a big backpack to bring along our daily snacks, water bottles, cameras, etc. And...they fit in the little baskets on many of the rides easily as they're flexible.

8. Ask for the front seat on any ride where it will matter. Adds maybe 1-2 minutes to wait times, and can be very well worth it on lots of the attractions (but not Kilimanjaro!)

Enjoy your time all, I may add more later.

pogo
05-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. :D

MickeyMomof2
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I love your drink packet idea! We always refill our own water bottles to save money, but I had never thought of adding flavor! Thanks!

BluewaterBrad
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

cal5755
05-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I love the little packets for water bottles!! Especially Crystal Light!!

Glad you loved EE and RNR!! Those are sooo much fun aren't they!!

Thanks for sharing :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip with your girls. Thanks for sharing your tips. I am sure a lot of people here will find them helpful. :mickey:

Tegrigg
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the water idea, I have three kids,and they are always thirsty. How was the lines for the rides?
Next trip May 24th 2008 Poly:lei:

Checkers
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
:mickey:Thanks for sharing the tips. We were there last week as well and, yes, there were a lot of local school groups visiting. One group even had Tshirts that said "(school name) Day at EPCOT". As you said, it was mainly Thurs. & Fri. but they were generally well behaved and didn't bother us. We didn't make it to AK this trip so I can't speak for that but Epcot had quite a few on Fri.

Dsnygirl
05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
:mickey: Thanks for the tips!! Sounds like you had a fun trip, and you solidified my opinions on a few things. Thanks!! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and tips. I love Crystal Light and take those packets with me all the time. Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

faline
05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds like you had a good trip! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

castlelady36
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I have stayed off site years ago and you are right it does not compare to being on site....just no magic!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

busterthebronco
05-07-2008, 03:29 PM
glad you got to ride those thrill rides!
nice post but i dont like your avatar! :ack:
;)

pdrlkr
05-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for sharing! :smickey: