PDA

View Full Version : What's a good amount to pay for a pet sitter?

MuchLovedMama
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
When we go to disney this September we are having either my cousin or brother-in-law stay at our house to watch our chihuahua for a week. Either one we choose are 19 or 20 years old & are both college students & have a part time job. They will both be closer to school & work by staying at our place & our dog doesn't need walks or to be taken outside. Basically they just need to give her food & drink & change her "wee-wee" pad once a day. What do you think is a good amount to pay somebody. My husband & I are so far off from each other that I thought I'd see what you guys think.

DDuck66
05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
We look at what it would cost to board our pet. We are going on May 10 to the 16th and I have someone that is going to house sit and puppy sit. My dog is about 25 pounds so normally it would cost 15 to 20 dollars per night. Since we are close by to her work it will actually work out better but we are still paying her $150.00.

SBETigg
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
We have two small dogs. Our boarding kennel charges $16 per day per dog, with extra costs for things like baths and extra outdoor playtime. I would consider paying $12-$25 a day or more depending on convenience or inconvenience to your petsitter.

My sister would sit with my dogs for free, in fact she might pay me, but I would probably give her $25 a day for two dogs anyway (and it would still be a bargain for me).

kakn7294
05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Usually, my sister watches my critters for free and I repay the favor by watching hers. I've paid a kennel for the dog in the past and it's cost me about $80 - 125 for a week for a 16 lbs miniature schnauzer. We're going to NYC for a weekend in July and we're hoping we can get one of the neighboring teens to pet-sit (we have several options but they might all be busy on the same weekend). She'll need to feed all the animals on Sun & Mon mornings, let the dog out to potty 2 times on Sat - 3 times on Sun - 1 time on Mon, scoop the 3 cat litter boxes on Sun, and clean up any messes (aka presents from the cat). We plan on paying somewhere around $50 total for the 3 days but will talk to her and her parents first so that everyone knows what to expect in advance.

BTW, the critters include the above mentioned crazy dog, 2 indoor-only neurotic cats, an indoor-only caged and litter-trained rabbit, and a small aquarium full of fish and tiny snails who keep making more tiny snails.

A Mouse Fan
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I have an in home pet sitter for all vacations and business trips for my 80lb Lab. The sitter comes at noon, 5pm and then by 9pm and spends the night with my dog and she charges me $30/night. It's well worth it as I know she is well taken care of and I don't have to take my aging pet (she's almost 13 yrs old) out of her environment.

Disney Doll
05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
We usually just have a close friend or family member stop by once every other day to refill the food & water and scoop the litter. We have 4 indoor cats. We repay the favor, but don't pay any money. Although we usually do bring back a little gift. If someone is actually staying the night at your house that's a bit more inconvenient than just stopping by for a couple of minutes. Plus, if it's a young college kid they could probably use the money. My parents just boarded their miniature schnauzer because she needs a little more supervision than I could provide by just popping by after work. I think they charge around $13.00 per day. Although, to me it would be worth more to have someone at my home giving the dog personal attention.

coloradowendyl
05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I pay between $35 to $40 per day for a live in housesitter for my two sluggly dachshunds. She sleeps here (with them snuggled next to her), checks phone messages, waters plants/yard, and brings in mail. She has full run of pantry and freezer and I let her have a friend stay with her for company if she likes!

Little boy dog turns our housesitter into "mom" and does not leave her side the entire time we are gone. Little girl dog...is much more mature and doesn't have "mother deprivation"! If Chewy is extra needy while we are gone, I bring the housesitter a gift as well. Last summer, he howled everytime she left the house....who knows what he will do this year!

Jeri Lynn
05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Usually one of my daughters girlfriends will stay here and watch them, I give them around $150.

elmjimmlm
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
We are from a small town so our charge was 10.00 a day with food provided...She is a very nice lady that watched my cocker spaniel in her home...Now I have 2 and I hope she has recovered from the last time to do it again...:blush: