PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness or Poly?

wmdaddy
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Would you opt for 2 weeks at the Polynesian, or 1 week at Polynesian and 1 week at Wilderness?

We've never stayed at Poly. We stayed at Wilderness last year and loved it.

We'll have a party of 6. If we go with the split stay, we'll all have 1 room at the Poly, then have 2 rooms at Wilderness. If we go all Poly, we'll all be sharing a room.

3 adults
1 child
2 toddlers in cribs

castlelady36
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I voted for the 2 weeks at Poly. I don't like to have to do the switch in between---too much work--rather spend that time in the parks!! I know, I know some say it is easy...but still....not for me.

Also Poly is more convenient with the monorail and is just beautiful!!! And since you have never stayed there you have 2 great weeks to take it all in!!!

On the downside 6 in a room is a bit much.... :mickey:

Mrs.Mickey
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I voted a week in each resort. That is exactly what me and DH did for our honeymoon in October and it was great. I have to say that I prefer the Poly just a smidge more but the wilderness is just so beautiful and the service is amazing! In fact we are doing a spilt poly wilderness trip again! :thumbsup:

DDuck66
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I have never been a big fan of split rooms so i went for two weeks at the POLY. Would I go to the WL??? Yes of course, but luckily we live close by so we could go on another trip the following year and stay at the WL if we wanted too.

wmdaddy
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
We'll be back in January at the Wilderness Lodge for a week, but honestly, I can't see going there for that long and not staying at WL. We just loved it so much!

Jeff G
05-05-2008, 04:30 PM
We've stayed at both and since I preferred the Poly by a lot I choose both weeks there.

SBETigg
05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I love the Polynesian. I have a hard time leaving, so I would stay as long as possible.

maestrotim
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I think you should do a split stay. One week at each is sufficient. You will be able to settle in at each place. Plus, you will enjoy the added space of two rooms during the second week. As you said, you loved the WL last time around, so wouldn't you want to make that part of your trip?

There really isn't that much work. You just have to pack and unpack one extra time. You can leave the Poly, head for the parks and have bell services transfer the luggage between resorts, and return to the WL for your evening. I don't think that is too bad, compared to walking around in the parks in the hot sun all day long.

scootch713
05-05-2008, 05:57 PM
With toddlers, you are likely to be going to MK alot.. the monorail is tops. So I voted Poly. I do love the wilderness, but the convenience of the monorail can't be beat.

DisneyorBust
05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
My vote went for the POLY!:tikki:
As you can tell by my signature it is my favorite resort by far. Even as an 'adult' :rolleyes:, I love the convenience of the Monorail. Actually, for me the Monorail is an attraction unto itself.:thumbsup:
I have done the split stay before, not a big fan of that.
That all being said, if you loved the WL, give the POLY a try and enjoy your other week at the WL.
Either way, have a great time and let us know how your trip turns out.

iceicebritney
05-06-2008, 12:06 PM
i vote for poly the whole stay. besides the fact that the hotel is beautiful, my personal fav, and its on the monorail - switching resorts is a pain and a whole day lost practically that you could be doing much more with your time. my parents used to do 3 wk trips to disney when i was a teenager and we'd switch hotels 4 times... it was a mess. Maybe the parents don't mind, but (speaking from experience) the kids sure do!

wmdaddy
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
i vote for poly the whole stay. besides the fact that the hotel is beautiful, my personal fav, and its on the monorail - switching resorts is a pain and a whole day lost practically that you could be doing much more with your time. my parents used to do 3 wk trips to disney when i was a teenager and we'd switch hotels 4 times... it was a mess. Maybe the parents don't mind, but (speaking from experience) the kids sure do!

The switching part doesn't bother me. I found that very easy in the past. You just pack your bags the night before, head out in the morning for the park, and have the front desk get your bags to the next resort.

KAT1811
05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Okay I went with 2 weeks at the Poly for a few reasons.

1.) I really have no desire to ever split my stay. I cannot even imagine packing and unpacking just to do it all over again.

2.) I would hate to have a resort change and have my entire family decide mid trip that they would rather stay at the first resort or even worse figure out that they really do not care for the second resort (in comparison to the first as I cannot imagine my family disliking any resort in WDW)

3.) One word, monerail. With two toddlers the monerail is a huge vacation asset! You can push the stroller right on and off the monerail, no need to take the kids out, empty the basket underneath, and then fold up the carriage each and every time you get on and off. We have a side by side Combi and I just wait for a handicap car to be avaliable and push the girls right on, no hassel.

The added space of two rooms may be nice but how much time do you all expect to spend in the room together? I figure it will be used mostly for sleeping. Plus if your children are anything like mine when they are asleep they are asleep. You can turn on the TV (with the volume low) and watch a movie and they will sleep on. Plus I am typically just as tired as they are by the time we get back to the room. Hop in my pjs, a nightcap on the balcony and then off to bed. Chasing three children in WDW takes a lot out of you!!!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
05-06-2008, 11:10 PM
I voted 2 weeks in one resort.

We did a split stay on our last trip. Although the move was relatively smooth (aside from the resolution of ADR credits), my kids enjoyed settling in to one room for our stay. Also, I felt that I wasted time the night before since I had devote time to pack.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
About your comment on your family not liking the second resort as much - that's what happened to us. We almost decided to return to our first resort. It was not the way I would have chosen to end our trip.

I also have toddlers and the monorail access is the best!!!

KAT1811
05-06-2008, 11:14 PM
About your comment on your family not liking the second resort as much - that's what happened to us. We almost decided to return to our first resort. It was not the way I would have chosen to end our trip.

I also have toddlers and the monorail access is the best!!!

So my fear is not completely foolish!

Sinewiz
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
If I had the opportunity to stay for 2 weeks I would absolutly do a split stay. Both resorts are wonderful and will give you the feeling of going on 2 seperate vacations. I've done split stays in less time and while we don't have toddlers the switch for us was very easy and stress free. ;)

2Epcot
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I have stayed at both resorts and will say the Poly is my favorite, but I would also do the split stay ... especially if I had two weeks at WDW. I have split my time between resorts on several occasions, and it's never been a big problem. I enjoy experiencing different parts of each resort as much as the different theme parks.

King Triton
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I think I'd split it, and try to stay at WL for the first part.

Two weeks in a hotel room is a long time, and since they'll move your stuff for you, its not that big a deal. Plus, you should save some $$$ staying at WL for part of the trip.

jpH/keD
05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I didn't vote either way. I have never stayed at either place but I read your entire thread for my own information. We have only stayed at the values and next time believe me we will be staying at a MONORAIL resort! My DH LOVED the WL and I was very interested in what folks had to say about that resort. We had dinner there and LOVED the WCC and the lobby. We also visited the Poly for the O'Hana breakfast and I was awed by their lobby. While the WL does have the water launch I just am not sure about giving up the convienence of the monorail! The busses were just horrible! Never again!!! :(

Good luck w/ your decision! A 2 week stay at WDW?? What's not to like either way!! :cloud9:

KAT1811
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
. . . not sure about giving up the convienence of the monorail! The busses were just horrible! Never again!!! :(

We feel the same way. We have been fine for years at other resorts on property but now we have 3 DDs and the added convienience of the monerail is worth every penny. The busses were difficult to navigate with the two little ones (2 and 10 months on our last trip) and their "park baggage". Especially folding up the double stroller (side by side and even though it tri-folds it was still a royal pain. I can still hear DH muttering to himself).

GrmGrninGost
05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
My two favorite resorts! For me, the WL is the ultimate! But, if I had two weeks at WDW, I would do one week at each! Man, that would be sooooo much fun!!!! :mickey:

wmdaddy
05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Made our decision - We're doing 2 weeks at the Poly. Couple of reasons why:

1.We'll be staying at the WL in January. Although we love it there, I realize, this may be our one and only time at the Poly. Might as well take advantage of it.

2.I always feel like changing resorts makes vacation seem shorter. Harder to get settled in.

3.Watching the EWPageant and fireworks from the beach sounds awesome.

4.I think this trip, more than any other we'll take, we'll appreciate having the convenience of the monorail.

laward32
05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I haven't stayed at either yet, but I would love to stay at both. I went with a split stay. If I ever get the chance to stay in a Deluxe and for two weeks I would stay at both.:mickey:

Mickey91
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
:mickey:I'm jealous. I wish I had the problem of where to stay for two weeks and they are both my favorite deluxes! I would split.

CU Tiger
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Since each has something different to offer, it would be like being on two different vacations. I like variety, so I voted to split the two weeks.:mickey: