PDA

View Full Version : Collections calls, but NOT for me!!!...ugggghhhh....what to do??

McGoofy
05-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I know we all hate sales calls, but collections calls are even worse. I know this how? Well, not because of my own financial status, but because of the financial status of two strangers whom I have never met. My DH and I have lived in our home for 5 years and have had our phone number ever since we moved here. Another thing that we have had since we moved here...collection calls for a husband and wife who evidently give this phone number out as their own. Since I work night shift, I am always home in the day time, therefore, I am usually the one that has to deal with the calls. I have to say the same speech every time a different caller calls, "Nobody lives here by that name, etc., etc..." Then because of the nature of the call, they generally don't believe me and start to quiz me like I am on trial or something. I repeat that I am not that person, and that I know nothing of his/her whereabouts. I usually end the call by asking that they not call this number again. So fast forward 5 years to this past week. GE Money called 3 different times during the week. Each time I became a little less nice as they called. Saturday rolled around. This was the first day in a long time that my family had a day where all 3 of us could sleep in. We were so excited about that. Alas...7:55am on a Saturday morning, I awakened to the phone ringing. Caller ID said GE Money. I am not a morning person and was even less thrilled to see GE Money calling me back. To start, it was one of those calls that said, "please hold." Well, they called me. Why should I hold? Shouldn't they be on the other end when I answer? That's another topic. So...they asked for the same name that is always asked for. I was livid.:thedolls:I sternly told her that I had already asked 3 times this week to be removed from their calling list. She continued to grill me again as though I was lying about who I was. I then YELLED at the lady because she wasn't listening to me. She said, "I do apologize." I said, "I do not want an apology. I want you to take this number off your list." She said again, "I do apologize." I sternly said again "DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER AGAIN." She never would confirm that we would not be called again.

I know that conversation makes me look like a nasty person, and I promise that I am really not. I am usually laidback and easy going with most people, but that repeated unwanted phone call at 7:55am on a Saturday just unleashed the beast in me!!

A fact that we discovered regarding these people in question, prior to moving here to South Carolina, they have used the same 7 digits in our phone number in Michigan and North Carolina but just changed the area code to match the state where they live.

Aside from the obvious of changing my phone number (which would be a pain), what can be done to make these phone calls stop?? I am determined to beat this!

tinkerbellybutton
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure as I have never dealt with this exact situation but I think if you asked for a supervisor and explained the situation to them they may be able to take the number off. I think that can be considered harassment. I don't think you sounded nasty, there is no reason for you to be continually grilled by these people.

I think if you keep the records of the phone calls on your caller ID and either bring it up to the police or even your phone company maybe they could stop them. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

Dakota Rose
05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
We had a similar situation once, right after we got married and bought our first house.

I had to call and talk to a supervisor because talking to the collection agents that make the phonecalls is pretty useless. It took some convincing, but they finally took my # off the account in question.

I'd try that first, and if it doesn't work, yes, change your number and make sure you don't have the "this # has been changed. the new # is ..." message.

medic9016
05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
That has happened to us before. There is not much you can do about it. Maybe the next time they call ask to speak with a supervisor. One thing I would caution you on. The people that your DH does a back ground check on for work consent to them. Him doing a unconsented background check and telling you the results is illegal.

McGoofy
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
That has happened to us before. There is not much you can do about it. Maybe the next time they call ask to speak with a supervisor. One thing I would caution you on. The people that your DH does a back ground check on for work consent to them. Him doing a unconsented background check and telling you the results is illegal.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that since anybody can pull the info up on the internet. Don't want to get anybody in trouble!

medic9016
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
If you are getting the info through public records there is no problem.

goofiecrazy
05-04-2008, 10:33 PM
We get calls once and awhile for the people who must of had our number before us.I guess our number was recycled and we get these calls and i have tell them we have had this number for over 7 yrs.We have had calls from delivery people wanting to know how to get to our house ready to drop stuff off for this other couple.

tinkwest
05-04-2008, 11:04 PM
We used to get calls for someone else and it went on for years. Not quite the same situation as you because they did not seem to be collection calls. We would just say the old "there is no one here by that name" line. And hang up. If we stayed on the line people would begin asking questions such as "well how long have you had this number?" or "do you know where I can reach him?" or "are you sure?"! It went on for years but finally fizzled out.

Although this does not ultimately solve the problem, it could help to turn the ringer off on your house phone. When I used to work the night shift and sleep while everyone else was at work I started turning off the ringer while I slept and that has evolved in to us always leaving the ringer off. It is amazing what a blessing in disguise this turned out to be.

No more political calls interrupting dinner. No more unwanted sales calls early in the morning. If we are in a room with a phone when it rings we can see it light up and if it displays a number we recognize we will answer. If we do not notice a phone call coming through, we always have the answering machine on to collect messages. And family members and close friends have our cell phone numbers, know our phone routine and call us that way if they need to reach us immediately.

It might sound drastic to you, and like I said, although it may not stop the calls at least you can avoid them.

Good luck with your annoying situation.

PirateLover
05-05-2008, 12:25 AM
We had a computer calling us multiple times a day for over a month. 9/10 times I'd answer and the message would never start. Finally it left a message on our machine... they were about to shut someones electric off and they are calling the wrong number! Finally my mom was able to hear the entire computer message and there was a number to dial to correct it. But having the phone ring all the time was getting very annoying. Don't feel bad for yelling at them. I think collections people are scum. (Sorry if that is the career of anyone on here but the stories I hear about these people make me very angry).

Here's another thought... is it always the same number or is like a gazillion different numbers for the same company. Because if it's one number, you could maybe put a block on the number.

BronxTigger
05-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Don't answer the phone from them anymore.

McGoofy
05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Here's another thought... is it always the same number or is like a gazillion different numbers for the same company. Because if it's one number, you could maybe put a block on the number.

Don't answer the phone from them anymore.

Unfortunately, it is different numbers. Sometimes the caller ID doesn't list a name, only a number. I could name several different companies (many of which you would recognize) that have called here looking for these people. That's often why I answer the phone because I think the call might be for me. My guess is that the couple using our number never paid any of their bills based on the phone calls that I get. Crazy thing though...not too long ago the same Wal-greens that I shop at to fill my prescriptions called my house. However, they called to tell me that this other person's prescription was ready. Evidently, they have even given my phone number to Wal-greens!! I think that's the phone number that they write down any time they fill out documents of any kind. So not answering the phone or blocking one particular number won't really work in this situation.

MNNHFLTX
05-05-2008, 09:48 AM
By law, if you tell collections companies not to call you again, they are not supposed to. This is true, even if the person they are attempting to collect the debt from is not you. If GE Money continues to call you, ask for a supervisor. Inform them (again) that you are not the person in question and any further contact should be in writing to the address of the person they are trying to contact (do not give them your address). Let them know that you will file a complaint for harrassment if they continue to call you.

As a last resort, I would just go ahead and change your number with no forwarding. I know it would be a pain, but it would certainly prevent similar problems in the future.

Gooftroop5
05-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry don't have any answers for you. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Dh & I've had our phone # for almost 13 years & when we moved into our new house 5 years ago 1 -2 times a year we get phone calls for a person with our same last name but a 1st name of someone I've never even heard of. They are collection calls.(there is another family that lives in our town with the same last name never met them & they are not related to dh) The phone calls start out sounding nice but when they ask if you know then they don't believe you because that is how so many people get around them. My best friend & my own brother use these tactics all the time. My mom still gets them for my brother & he hasn't lived there for 9 years. They ask her for the info she tells them they want to know look it up themselves. His telephone # is in the telephone book. They just go off the last known name & # hoping that they have the right person. Sometimes I think they just use whatever last name matches the zipcode & call all the #s that might be them.

I too get sick of the calls. I do all I can to keep my credit in good standing. Which is why it gets annoying to be accused of lying. The last time I got the call I hung onto the line to talk to a person (they were always computer to start with & I always hung up.) I actually got a nice guy. I kept my cool with him & he took my # off the list. I think because I didn't lose it I didn't give him any reason not to believe me. Try that. The more aggitated you get the more likely they aren't going to believe you because you seem like you have something to hide. They get rude ask for a supervisor & calmly explain your situation. You might just find that it helps until another credit agency contacts you. They seem to be using your # and unless they get caught there is no way for you to stop them without changing your number.

Good luck!

Ian
05-05-2008, 10:07 AM
By law, if you tell collections companies not to call you again, they are not supposed to. This is true, even if the person they are attempting to collect the debt from is not you. If GE Money continues to call you, ask for a supervisor. Inform them (again) that you are not the person in question and any further contact should be in writing to the address of the person they are trying to contact (do not give them your address). Let them know that you will file a complaint for harrassment if they continue to call you.

As a last resort, I would just go ahead and change your number with no forwarding. I know it would be a pain, but it would certainly prevent similar problems in the future.Yeah I'm sorry, but I read this completely baffled by the notion that you haven't just changed your phone number yet???

Also, Beth is right ... it's most likely against the law for these companies to keep harrassing you like this. You could check into it, but honestly it's so not worth it. Just change your number. There's no way it could be less of a hassle than answering all these stupid phone calls.

crazypoohbear
05-05-2008, 10:17 AM
you should question them. Find out their mailing address etc. then contact your attorney generals office and file a complaint.
Keep a log of all the times they call, get the name of the person you spoke with.
Gather as much information as possible.
With the economy being the way it is I'm sure that your collection calls will kick into high gear now! :(
you could also tell the local police about the calls and the incident at walgreens. Maybe they could trace the people down via address/doctor who wrote the script.
Or on a really BAD note maybe they stole the script and are forging scripts and using your name and address. Either way find out!

ncscgirl2005
05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
We once got calls that were for our neighbor across the street! Well he had moved by then but the agency would call and ask for such and such and once we told her there was no one here by that name, she would state the address and phone number (which was our address and number) to verify that she had called the right place. I have no idea how she was able to get our number or why our number and address was listed for his account. Thankfully the calls have stopped.

Now the only call we get is a pre-recorded call about once a week from the Hindu Temple inviting us to this week's service or celebration.

biodtl
05-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I have had similar problems and it took a while to get them resolved. However, the worst wrong number problem I had wasn't from bill collectors, but from personal calls.

My name is Gina and apparently there was another Gina with the same number, only one digit off (the last 4 digits were the same, and the exchange was one off - the other exchange from my town). Anyway, it seems that this other Gina was a bit...um..."friendly" with the men.

I would get phone calls at all hours, usually starting at around 11 and going all night (and 3:00 phne calls can scare the daylights out of you) that would go like this:

Hello?
Gina?
Yes.
Hey baby.
Who is this?
It's Bob
Who?
This ain't Gina.
Yes it is, who is this?
Baby, cut that out. What you doin?
Sleeping. Who is this?
Oh man, baby. It's me. I wanna come over.
You must have the wrong number.
Girl, I know your number.
No - you have the wrong number.
This ain't Gina?
Yes, but I think you want some other Gina.
Oh...click

And this would repeat with Tom, Jack, Dion, Carlos, Pete, etc.

At firstm, I would go through the conversation because I was entirely befuddled at 3:00 am, but eventually, I just gave them Gina's number and hung up. After a few months, it stopped.

meldan98
05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Do you have a tv station in your area that does a consumer help line? You may want to call them and see if they will help you. We have 2 in our city. One even did a story recently about collections calling the wrong number. What they said was that the collectors are doing illegal things by continuing to harass you. You should ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. If the calls continue, file a complaint with the Attorney General.

tinkwest
05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Do you have a tv station in your area that does a consumer help line? You may want to call them and see if they will help you. .

Funny you would suggest that . . . We get calls from people all the time thinking they have reached a local news station's consumer help line. Our number is only one digit different from theirs. This is obviously a case of misdialing so we always just tell the person "I believe you meant to dial xxx-xxxx".

Ok that was a bit off topic......

Aggie97
05-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I had a similar situation happen to me with my previous cell phone number: receiving collection calls for the individual who previously had the number. This individual had the same first name as my husband, which was a little confusing initially. I did demand every time that they cease calling this incorrect number.

I would have changed my number, but I had just done that due to the multiple nightly (1-4 a.m.) calls I was receiving asking for someone - very irately - in another language.

So instead, I just stopped answering calls that were unassociated with my phone's address book. The collection calls died down to 1-2 a week, based on the voice mails I received and deleted.

We moved out of state, and I changed my cell phone number. My new number is one keypad digit off (6 vs. 9) from the local service department of the largest chain of Chevrolet dealerships in the country. We no longer have a land line, so I tend to answer unidentifed calls now. At least these callers are polite and call only during the day.

I don't have very good luck with cell phone numbers.... :)

Ian
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
So instead, I just stopped answering calls that were unassociated with my phone's address book. The collection calls died down to 1-2 a week, based on the voice mails I received and deleted.This also seems like an obvious choice ... if you have caller ID just don't answer the phone if you don't recognize the number. If it's someone you should be talking to they'll leave a message and you can call them back.

There's also a service you can get that will basically require you to actively accept incoming calls that don't display a phone number. We had this before and it cut our telemarketing calls down to zero.

conorsmom2000
05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
We have a similar problem, except in our case, we do know who they are calling for! We have a woman who lives across the street and two houses down from us who, ironically, has the same last name as we do. We get collection calls from 2 banks for her all the time. My guess is that they can't get through to her, and via the internet, found out that we have the same last name, so they call us - what good that does, I have no idea as we just tell them she doesn't live here. We do not go to her about the calls as, to add another wrinkle, her boyfriend is registered pedophile, so we have nothing to do with them. The calls drive us crazy, but there's not much we can do about it - changing our number after all this time isn't an option! But, we feel your pain!

ncscgirl2005
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I would get phone calls at all hours, usually starting at around 11 and going all night (and 3:00 phne calls can scare the daylights out of you) that would go like this:

Hello?
Gina?
Yes.
Hey baby.
Who is this?
It's Bob
Who?
This ain't Gina.
Yes it is, who is this?
Baby, cut that out. What you doin?
Sleeping. Who is this?
Oh man, baby. It's me. I wanna come over.
You must have the wrong number.
Girl, I know your number.
No - you have the wrong number.
This ain't Gina?
Yes, but I think you want some other Gina.
Oh...click

And this would repeat with Tom, Jack, Dion, Carlos, Pete, etc.

Hilarious! :rotfl:

If I could "bug" my next door neighbor's phone, I'm pretty sure the calls would go like this.

Tinkermom
05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
The only other thing that I can think of is to call your state representative's office.

We had an issue many years ago where I was getting bills for a student loan that I never took out. The loan was for over $3,000. After many phone calls I found out that the bank that issued the loan made a typo and typed in MY social security number instead of the guy who was taking out the loan. Apparently our socials were one digit different. The bank admitted the mistake but said they could not do anything since the loan had been sold. The company that held the loan said they could not do anything since the only info they had was MY information! To say this was frustrating would be an understatement. I spent EVERY day on the phone for about a month trying to talk to various people at the loan company. The guy who was assigned to this loan would refuse to let me speak to a supervisor or he would tell me that someone would call me back. He yelled at me a few times and said that I was really getting him annoyed!:mad: Can you believe it?? He said he was going to have to turn me in to collections. He would tell me there was nothing that could be done. I would ask him if he thought I should have to pay a loan that was not mine and he would tell me that it WAS mine! I felt like I was in a bad movie.

My MIL suggested calling my state representative. We were in Delaware at the time and I contacted Sen Joe Biden's office. They have people to help with all sorts of issues. I was told to type up all of my communications and to send this in as well as any other documentation (loan documents, bills, etc.). I received a call within 2 weeks that the issue was resolved and the loan was taken off my records.

Contacting your state rep may be worth a try! Good luck!

beachbaby
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I would second the idea of talking to a supervisor the next time they call.
We used to get calls for some guy with the same last name as ours, and we were the only ones by that name in the phone book. I would tell them that he didn't live here, we didn't know him, and the calls still continued. My husband finally had enough when they called on a Saturday morning and the girl flat out accused him of lying, he asked for her supervisor and chewed him out, and they never called again.

valjane
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I had a similar problem, only it was someone with my maiden name. So of course they never believed it wasn't really me!

The funniest was once they said it was regarding an old Spiegel account, and I said "I haven't had one of those in about three years," and the guy replied, "Well, yes, this one is three years past due."

Doh! :crazy:

Eventually the calls stopped coming regularly after I argued enough. I also verified with one place that the last 4 numbers of my SSN were not the same as the person they were looking for. I worried about that for a while, but it did make the calls stop!

TheDuckRocks
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
For everyone out there that has run into any kind of incorrect contact from a collection agency the people you need to contact is the Federal Trade Commission! These phone calls are illegal and the only way they will stop is if they are reported. Get as much info as you can without giving out any of yours and then contact the FTC. They have a website ftc dot gov that will give you major info on what your rights are and how to go about reporting these things.
Off my soapbox for now and trying to erase from my mind why I'm so familiar with the process.