PDA

View Full Version : Comedy Warehouse: Improve or Acting?

magoo1
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Ok...the comedy warehouse is not improvisational. It is acting at its worst. been there several times over the last eight years and each time it was scripted with plants in the audience.

Everything from the person sitting by the phone ready to answer it (remember there are 3but its the same one that rings each time...coincidence?)..to the person who "throws out" a phrase or an occupation....ALL plants...

sat behind the keyboardist...saw the pre-programmed cues for the show. It is sad. thought it might be scripted the first time i saw it but years later i am absolutely positive..notice the folks at the floor lever tables?

Sorry to bust your bubble, just trying to save you money...skip the comedy club...go to the Adventurers club @ 8:55...free admission before 9..then spend the rest of your money on drinks at House of Blues...sit outside and listen to live music for FREE.

Want to see real improv...go to the Cracked Claw in Urbana, MD!

TinksPixieDust
05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I actually went to the Comedy Warehouse and my sister was the one that had to answer the phone. Not scripted at all let me tell you. They asked her a bunch of questions and they made a song up aboutmy family from all the stuff she told them. It was pretty funny. And then my cousin went up on stage for a small part as well. While I understand that some of it may be scripted, they have to have some kind of plan to keep the show moving along. I thought it was pretty cool. Im sorry that you have had bad experiences. I do however want to check out the adventurers club sometime.

KAT1811
05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Scripted or not we did not enjoy it at all when we visited. I did not find there skits half as funny as the skits over at the Adventurers Club. Now there we have an absolute blast. Next time we will go with our instinct and stay at the Adventurers Club all night!!!!

Mary M
05-05-2008, 12:14 PM
It's been a while, but every time we've gone it's been a good time.

AdventurerKim
05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
CW is scripted only in that they use the same basis for the skits, like the phone interview and song or the "Up Your Ally" or the type of song they'll write about you if you tell an embarrasing story, but I think beyond that it's not scripted. I've been going to CW since it opened, and it's never the same in that the suggestions and the way the skits go are never the same. Although, I never sit next to a phone because I don't want that interview opportunity. Since I've been going, I've seen all the phones ring at one point or another, and the phone thing isn't even done at every show. We always have a good time there, and at AC! Kungaloosh!

Scar
05-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Want to see real improv...go to the Cracked Claw in Urbana, MD!Hmm... Urbana? Are you really John trying to plug something. :unsure:

Last time I was at The Adventures Club, we needed admission to get in when the doors opened at 7:00 PM.

Bluesky481
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I've only been once, but found the show to be quite entertaining. My sister was one of the folks who shouted out an idea, and they used it in the show :mickey:

DisneyDog
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
We were there this past Sunday night. It was definitely improv. This girl offered up a very embarrassing story, and her friends all cracked up when she did (she told about her first driving lesson and how she ran over her driving instructor! She was 19 at the time, as her parents had made her wait). Another time we experienced a young girl (about 14) shouting out an inappropriate suggestion, and they wouldn't work with it (said it wasn't "very Disney"). The phone didn't ring when we were there the other night.

Natazu
05-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Scripted... not scripted... whatever. We always have a blast.

hoop de do
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
We have always had a great time at the Warehouse. I think the performers are very talented. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AwPhooey
05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I can tell you from personal experience that the bit with the phone is not scripted. My family chose to sit in a row with a phone (not on purpose... we didn't know anything about it) and I was right next to it.

They came up with a song/jingle about the universities (and their respective towns) that my sister and I attended. The comedians are quite talented... anyone who can come up with a song about Selinsgrove, Susquehanna University, Mahway and Ramapo College pretty much on the spot has awesome improv skills.