PDA

View Full Version : Exploring POP

phatcatrun
05-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm taking my GF on her first Disney trip in September. Our plane is scheduled to land at 2pm. I figured we should arrive at POP Century about 45 minutes later since we are using DME. This would leave us with a little over an hour before check-in.

If we walk around the property during that time, is there enough to look at that it would fill an hour?

nyobabe2
05-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Don't bet on being there that soon! Both times I've used DME, which is great, we've had to walk to the Disney Welcome Center which is a long walk, then you have to wait in line to check in, then you have to wait in the bus line. So I don't think you'll need to kill ANY time before getting to the hotel!

BronxTigger
05-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't think you'll get to POP within 45 minutes of landing. You have to take a little train at the airport from the gates to the terminal, then walk to the DME desk, wait on line, check in, and then wait for the bus. Sometimes this process is very smooth, but other times you may have to wait for each component.

The DME drive itself takes about 30 minutes from MCO to WDW.

Also, don't worry if you are early for the official check in time. Check in right away when you get there. You will get your park entry passes if they are linked to your room key. Your room may even be ready early. If it's not, you can leave any bags with bell services and head straight to the parks!

SandmanGStefani24
05-04-2008, 07:07 PM
i agree, i don't think you'll be needing to kill that much time either. however, the lobby area is really cool and has plenty to check out. if that's not enough there is a nice gift shop and a pretty good dining area. lastly, the giant sized relics around the rooms are photo worthy. things should go smoothly even if you're early.

BMan62
05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
In addition to what was already said, take a walk along "Memory Lane" and see how many of the questions you can answer. It starts near the parking lot for the '50's buildings and runs along the lake. Take a break on the "Generation Gap" bridge. Walk over the bridge and take a quick look at what was to be "Pop Century: Legendary Years"

Disney Lynn
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree with everyone else that you will not really need to "kill time" before you check in. However, if you do plan on staying at the POP that day (rather than dash off to a park), pack your swimsuits (& 3 oz tube of sunblock LOL) in your carry-on bags. If your room isn't ready, change in the bathrooms and lounge around one of the pools. Get a take-out snack from the food court, a drink from the bar, sit back and start your vacation.

tinkerbellybutton
05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree with everyone else, you most likely won't have time to kill. We've gotten to Disney only once before our room was ready and that was because we arrived at 10 in the morning. There is a nice walkway and seating behind (or somewhere right in that area) the building with the play dough. I went out there several times at night to get some quiet (that trip we had 8 people total :crazy:) It looks out toward the hotel that the other poster said was to be the legendary years. It's beautiful with flowers and water and it's kind of romantic so it's worth checking out if you do happen to be early. Have a great and magical trip! It's also a nice place, as I stated, at night. I never ran into another human being there so it's peaceful.

Crow
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't think you'll get to POP within 45 minutes of landing. You have to take a little train at the airport from the gates to the terminal, then walk to the DME desk, wait on line, check in, and then wait for the bus. Sometimes this process is very smooth, but other times you may have to wait for each component.

The DME drive itself takes about 30 minutes from MCO to WDW.

Also, don't worry if you are early for the official check in time. Check in right away when you get there. You will get your park entry passes if they are linked to your room key. Your room may even be ready early. If it's not, you can leave any bags with bell services and head straight to the parks!

there you go! I agree as thats what i do. many times i get early morning flight. sometimes room is ready. either way i head to the park. and yes there is enough to look at at Pop anyway

phatcatrun
05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for the advice. This will be my first time flying into Orland and using DME. I guess I didn't consider the time it would take to get to the Disney Welcome Center, process thru there, and to get to the bus. :blush:

And since this will be our first trip together I definately think we will be taking a few strolls around the grounds at night to enjoy the quiet.

Young@Heart
05-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Check in right away when you get there. You will get your park entry passes if they are linked to your room key. Your room may even be ready early. If it's not, you can leave any bags with bell services and head straight to the parks!

This is what we do! You can check in before the "official" time. :thumbsup: Then, after you leave your bags with bell services, you're free to wander about the World!

TheMartellFamily
05-06-2008, 09:00 AM
You maybe lucky and as soon as you get to POP your room will be ready and you can get there as soon as you get there. Just make sure in your carry on you have a change of clothes and comfortable shoes as for your start choice is endless to your vacation. Your bags will arrive after you get to your room. Sometimes it is a couple of hours other times it maybe just a little while it is so hard to know. But I would say as soon as you get off the bus at POP from DME check in and have fun!