PDA

View Full Version : Miley Cyrus to skip scheduled Disney red carpet event

TheRustyScupper
05-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Miley Cyrus to skip scheduled Disney red carpet event

The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. — Miley Cyrus won't be attending her first scheduled public appearance since Vanity Fair published photos that have thrown her status as a role model for young girls into question, Disney said Thursday.

The 15-year-old star of "Hannah Montana" for weeks has been scheduled to appear at a red carpet event Friday, but is no longer expected, Disney confirmed. Cyrus was to appear at a media party in Orlando on Friday, along with dozens of other Disney Channel stars in town to film the "Disney Channel Games," a charity competition.

The photos, showing Cyrus' bare shoulders and back, were taken by renowned celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz. She and the magazine defended the pictures, saying the singer, her parents and her handlers approved of the images during the shoot.

Disney did not elaborate on the change in Cyrus' status for the party.

magicofdisney
05-04-2008, 12:18 AM
1) I haven't seen these photos.
2) They seem harmless enough.
3) What's the big deal?
4) Besides, her handler approved them.

Mickey91
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I think Annie Leibovitz should be ashamed of herself for taking advantage of a young girl through her pictures. Being celebrated by Disney herself, she should know the importance of upholding the goodgirl image that Myley and Hannah Montana represent to millions of young girls around the globe. Regardless of whether the picture was taken with consent, it is the responsibility of the photographer to see that photos of bad taste do not get published. I hope Disney will reconsider using Annie in the future. I for one have no interest in anything she does.

tinksmom02
05-12-2008, 10:37 PM
For some reason, I was more disturbed with the pictures of her and Billy Ray, than of her by herself.

The dad-daughter pics were a little...odd.

magicofdisney
05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
For some reason, I was more disturbed with the pictures of her and Billy Ray, than of her by herself.

I've now seen the pics. I had the same impression. Had I not known who they were, I'd have thought they were a couple. There was nothing overtly obscene, just, "a little...odd" as you say. :unsure:

AnnetteFan
05-19-2008, 03:41 AM

I think they're only seen as odd because Billy Ray is rather youthful and good looking for a dad. I think if he was an older gray haired man with a beard and posed with his daughter like that no one would have thought it strange. That's just my take on it though.

goofy for pluto
05-20-2008, 10:53 AM

I agree!
The ones of her and her dad were the ones that lacked good taste.
The one of her bare back just made her look sick. :sick:

GossipGirl
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I just don't understand how people consider her a bad role model all of a sudden.
Yes, the pictures of her are not what you would expect from a 15 year old celebrity, but they were her decision. Not to mention--her parents were there while she was taking them. It's not like she took pictures of herself, showing her bareback, and then posted them on the internet.
I was reading a recent article on the Vanity Fair pictures, and according to Miley, they were meant to be artsy. I don't think this is her fault nor her handler's.
Though Miley feels "embarressed and ashamed of the photos", I support her.

TheRustyScupper
05-23-2008, 08:41 AM
. . . I just don't understand how people consider her a bad role model all of a sudden . . .

1) As anyone in business knows, one Oh-S**t wipes out a lot of Ata-Boys.
2) How many oops does she need?
3) Bad taste is just bad taste.
4) One picture can inspire a lot of tween/teenage fans to imitate her.
5) Do you want YOUR daughter to wear that sheet?

LauraleeH
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
So what was the excuse for skipping out on Disney? That seems pretty...wrong, especially since they are the ones that got her where she is! And it was for charity?

I defended her over the pictures, but then I started watching The Miley and Mandy show on youtube and I realized that she's not a child, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's been making a lot of decisions that I don't agree with (Whether you do or not, it's your opinion) and I'm over her and the whole Hannah Montana deal.

laughingplace<3
05-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I think Annie Leibovitz should be ashamed of herself for taking advantage of a young girl through her pictures. Being celebrated by Disney herself, she should know the importance of upholding the goodgirl image that Myley and Hannah Montana represent to millions of young girls around the globe. Regardless of whether the picture was taken with consent, it is the responsibility of the photographer to see that photos of bad taste do not get published. I hope Disney will reconsider using Annie in the future. I for one have no interest in anything she does.

I disagree. It was Annie's idea, yes, and that could be questionable to why she thought of it. That's not the point. Miley and her parents, and her handlers, were all there at the time. She shouldn't have felt any pressure to do everything the photographer wanted her to do. The real entertainment business isn't about that. If there is something you don't want to do, then you don't do it. There is always going to be pressure but being a celebrity is about how you handle and deal with situations like these. The statement Miley gave out, I thought, was very careless. She can't blame the negative impact of the photos on Annie- they are just as much her fault.
Her parents were there too and could have objected. The fact that they went through with it at the time, the whole family being there, and then blaming it on the photographer , I think is a very big mistake in her career and very irresponsible.

Mousemates
05-26-2008, 11:02 PM
1) As anyone in business knows, one Oh-S**t wipes out a lot of Ata-Boys.....5) Do you want YOUR daughter to wear that sheet? Rustyscupper

Your right on the money with thought number one...I'm not saying she was/is not talented, because she certainly is...but Hannah Montana is a created persona...all image...it takes along time and a lot of work and talent to create a beautiful stained glass window, but just three seconds and a rock to shatter it. I'm afraid Hannah Montana has been rocked, as for Miley Cyrus who knows?

I do know this thou , my 15 yo DD (who was a big, big fan) saw the pics, was disappointed in her (her words, not mine) and moved on.

cgriff
05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
This is strange because there was actually an episode of Hannah Montana with almost this exact story line: Miley poses for a photo shoot, there's a highly-acclaimed female photographer in charge, dad is on-hand for the shoot and gives his approval, Miley and dad are outraged after the photos go public.

spooky huh?

cgriff

Young@Heart
05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I've never watched the show-thank goodness DD 4 is just under the age of most Miley fans. The very little I've seen is a bit annoying. :blush:
However, as a mom, if DD was a fan, the photos would definitely bother me. Whether or not she's 15, whether or not she or her parents or anyone else approved of the pics-her fans are very young girls (mostly)! When you have a young fan-base, you should act accordingly.

IMeagineer
06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm disappointed in Miley's decision. She is being a bad rolemodel for these 8 year old girls watching her show. This isn't exactly the first time she has gotten bad media. I'm not saying Miley is a bad person but she definitely needs to be careful. All these Disney stars who make bad decisions (Vanessa) make Disney look bad.

Queen Stephanie
06-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Miley Cyrus to skip scheduled Disney red carpet event

The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. — Miley Cyrus won't be attending her first scheduled public appearance since Vanity Fair published photos that have thrown her status as a role model for young girls into question, Disney said Thursday.

The 15-year-old star of "Hannah Montana" for weeks has been scheduled to appear at a red carpet event Friday, but is no longer expected, Disney confirmed. Cyrus was to appear at a media party in Orlando on Friday, along with dozens of other Disney Channel stars in town to film the "Disney Channel Games," a charity competition.

The photos, showing Cyrus' bare shoulders and back, were taken by renowned celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz. She and the magazine defended the pictures, saying the singer, her parents and her handlers approved of the images during the shoot.

Disney did not elaborate on the change in Cyrus' status for the party.

Where can you find information about Disney Channel celebs scheduled appearances at Disney? Dates, places, parks, etc. Thanks.

SurferStitch
06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I actually feel bad for Miley.

Come on...she's 15 for goodness sake!

Are we so perfect that we never did anything wrong, or not-so-right, at that age? Really, are we that perfect? I can say, I'm not, and I'm not too proud to admit it. I was a good kid, but I wasn't perfect.

I can tell you that what seemed innocent at the time of the shoot can look completely different once printed. It's amazing how a finished product can seem so different than it looked in real life.

Yes, the adults with her should have said no. AND, I feel Annie was completely wrong in wanting to do a shoot like that with a child, but then again, I've never been a fan of Annie's work, really. And yes, Miley is in the public eye, but if that shoot is the worst thing she's done, then big deal.

And, is that sheet worse than the tiny tank tops and micro shorts that you see teens (and pre-teens) walking around in? Please tell me that NOBODY here lets their teen daughters wear tight low-cut tank tops and the super short shorts. That's all you can find in Hollister, Aeropostale and Pac Sun. I know...my 13 year old niece shops there, and loves the tight clothing (to my dismay). I won't even buy some of the tops because they are way too revealing, and I'm a grown adult! BUT, the stores wouldn't sell them if the girls weren't buying them!

I think, before Miley is chastised by the perfect majority, we should probably look at ourselves and our children.....just an observation.

LauraleeH
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
The way I see it, the little girls who are fans probably don't read Vanity Fair and won't even see the picture. I don't condone her actions, but it's not the picture that bugs me. It's her attitude that I don't like, but maybe that's just a personal preference.

I think if this was someone older, with a teenage/young adult fan base, the picture would be more acceptable. It's the fact that just about every 5 year old girl out there wants to be Miley/Hannah. IF they did see the pictures, imagine your child wanting to do that because "Hannah did."

Young girls always have and always will idolize teenagers.

Marker
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I actually feel bad for Miley.

Come on...she's 15 for goodness sake!

Are we so perfect that we never did anything wrong, or not-so-right, at that age? Really, are we that perfect? I can say, I'm not, and I'm not too proud to admit it. I was a good kid, but I wasn't perfect.

I can tell you that what seemed innocent at the time of the shoot can look completely different once printed. It's amazing how a finished product can seem so different than it looked in real life.

Yes, the adults with her should have said no. AND, I feel Annie was completely wrong in wanting to do a shoot like that with a child, but then again, I've never been a fan of Annie's work, really. And yes, Miley is in the public eye, but if that shoot is the worst thing she's done, then big deal.

And, is that sheet worse than the tiny tank tops and micro shorts that you see teens (and pre-teens) walking around in? Please tell me that NOBODY here lets their teen daughters wear tight low-cut tank tops and the super short shorts. That's all you can find in Hollister, Aeropostale and Pac Sun. I know...my 13 year old niece shops there, and loves the tight clothing (to my dismay). I won't even buy some of the tops because they are way too revealing, and I'm a grown adult! BUT, the stores wouldn't sell them if the girls weren't buying them!

I think, before Miley is chastised by the perfect majority, we should probably look at ourselves and our children.....just an observation.

Total agreement from me!!!! The only thing I'll add, is where you say that what seemed totally innocent can look different later, I'll add my own spin and say that thing that ARE innocent, can ultimately come across differently once the media puts their spin on it, over publicizes it, and it's bought into by a drama/scanal hungry public. For me, a sad commentary.

Since when does a single action by a young teenager determine the entirity of one's character. To me, and that's just my opinion, it says much more about those doing the judging than it does about those being judged.

She's 15, she's human, and it's really none of our business, regardless of what she does for a living, or how much money she makes. My commentary - GET OVER IT ALREADY. But that's just my opinion, popular or not.

PirateLover
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
And, is that sheet worse than the tiny tank tops and micro shorts that you see teens (and pre-teens) walking around in? Please tell me that NOBODY here lets their teen daughters wear tight low-cut tank tops and the super short shorts.
This is a bit of a side rant, but I have to say that when I was 15 (Only 7 years ago) many people were indeed wearing those fashions, but I was NEVER allowed out of the house in revealing clothing. My parents didn't stop commenting on my clothes until I was in college. There are plenty of other stores for young girls to shop in and cover up a bit more. The average 15 year girl should not have enough money to shop at Hollister etc alone. Parents just need to learn to stand up to their kids. Sometimes you just have to be a parent.

SurferStitch
06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
This is a bit of a side rant, but I have to say that when I was 15 (Only 7 years ago) many people were indeed wearing those fashions, but I was NEVER allowed out of the house in revealing clothing. My parents didn't stop commenting on my clothes until I was in college. There are plenty of other stores for young girls to shop in and cover up a bit more. The average 15 year girl should not have enough money to shop at Hollister etc alone. Parents just need to learn to stand up to their kids. Sometimes you just have to be a parent.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but the fact is, A LOT of parents either just throw the money at their kids and let them go shopping, or some actually encourage their daughters to dress like that because "it looks so darn cute". I could puke when I hear moms in these stores telling their nearly naked daughters that they look awesome in that kind of clothing. I unfortunately see this on a much-too-regular basis. :ack:

When I was 15 (20 years ago), NOBODY dressed like that. The craze was baggy tees with the sleeves rolled up, and normal shorts. Hey, it was 19 eighty something (like the country song says).

Thing is, just about every teen/young adult store is stocked full of tiny camis and ridiculously short shorts....DEB, Macy's, JC Penney, Limited, Express, and the list goes on. And, if it's not revealing, it's skin tight. Same difference.

magicofdisney
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Please tell me that NOBODY here lets their teen daughters wear tight low-cut tank tops and the super short shorts.
I'm a modest dresser and my daughters will be also as long as I have a say. And I plan to have a say until they're married (or something like that ;)). We don't even let them wear two piece bathing suits. That's what we prefer and I'm not condemning any parent who does this.

One thing I'm grateful for right now are the bermuda shorts. Prior to this I was almost to the point that my girls were going to be stuck in capris because of how stinking short all the girls shorts have become.