PDA

View Full Version : Any reasons not to buy OKW?

ldc12377
05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
We have been considering DVC for a few years. We will be buying a resale because the price is so much less. Lately, we have been thinking about buying a OKW resale because they are the lowest price and we would be able to get more points for what we want to pay.
Are there any problems with OKW? We aren't very picky about where we stay and from what we have seen, we like it. We usually stay at values so any DVC resort will be a step up from that. Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to stay at OKW?

KineGirl
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
We bought OKW practically when it first came out and in our opinion its pretty much the best DVC resort - especially when it comes to villas. They are the largest of all DVC resorts. The theming is beautiful. The resort is beautiful. The villas are beautiful. Other then a musty smell one time (in the 20+ times Ive stayed there) in a studio I have had zero complaints. And they even moved us that one time. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed especially if youre used to staying at values - a world apart from each other. I think youll get to OKW and go - "why did we wait so long? THIS is living!!" Seriously though, its a very relaxing resort.

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-03-2008, 09:23 PM
We bought OKW via resale in the fall of 2003 and added-on last summer.
We LOVE it and wish we had done it sooner.

One thing that can be a negative is lack of elevators. If your villa is on the top floor and it's 90+ degrees out with humidity to match climbing those stairs at the end of a long day can be tough. And if you are dragging suitcases or groceries up it can be brutal.

Another thing I have heard people complain about that doesn't really bother us is how long it can take for the bus to make all the internal stops before heading out to its destination. Depending on your stop it can be 10 - 15 minutes. Again, not that big a deal to us, but it is an issue for some.

All in all we enjoy the huge villas, the theming, the laid back feel and the mature trees. You FEEL like you are at a resort.
To me, SSR feels more like a new subdivision.

I think you will like it!!:cloud9:

Phil

Horizon93
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't own at OKW, but have stayed there and loved it. As has been said, the largest villas, lowest points needed, beautiful resort, and great CMs.

There is also the boat to DTD and the buses worked well for us. We will definitely stay there again.

The only negative that i can see with buying OKS resale is that buying it direct gives you a 2057 expiration while the points available for resale have the original 2042 expiration date.

Maleficent's Dad
05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
The only reason(s) that I could think of that would make you not want to stay at OKW:
1. buses everywhere
2. very large, spread out resort
3. Far from any parks (which adds to its central theme!!!)

Other than that, OKW is top notch. The villas are enormous, and they are very comfortable.

The theming is excellent; the resort is mature with greenery and wonderful views from your balconies.

It's a relaxed atmosphere with lots of amenities. The rooms are very large, there are numerous pools. Love the resort, and the fact that it's "far removed" from it all... that really gives it a more relaxed feeling.

Jillpie
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, I have a different view. We are very happy BCV owners for five years now. After hearing so much about OKW room size, we decided on our DW trip last week to take a boat there to check it out. We didn't like the resort at all. The pool is very small, compared to the BC (which is huge). The lobby and community hall was really showing its age, esp. the comm. hall. I walked in there and it reminded me of a camp site hall for teens. It was very un Disney like to me. Not to mention that huge spread out size of this place! But just remember, its just my opinion. If size doesn't matter to you, and a pretty small pool is okay, then go for it. We didn't get to see a room, one wasn't available. But good luck with your decision, DVC is awesome.

slheflin
05-12-2008, 11:12 PM
We just purchased DVC while on vacation last week and we only had the choice of Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom. We were also told that SS will be sold out within a month. Unless you are buying resale and not directly from Disney you do not have the option of purchasing anything other than SS or AK (which the new ones won't be open until 2009).

DVC Mike
05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Unless you are buying resale and not directly from Disney you do not have the option of purchasing anything other than SS or AK (which the new ones won't be open until 2009).

This is not true. You can buy VWL, BWV, OKW, or even BCV direct from Disney, if they have the points available.

dlpmikki
05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Another happy OKW owner here, currently staying in a massive one bedroom apartment (much bigger than any other DVC one bed). You can't walk to any of the parks but Epcot and the studios are only a short bus ride away. MK is a bit further and AK is a long way from most places.

We have stayed at all WDW DVCs apart from Boardwalk and have to say OKW suits us best. We love the atmosphere, the choice of pools, the tennis courts, the sheer relaxed feeling here. Oh yes, value for money doesn't hurt either. This was the first DVC resort opened and Disney was more generous then - both in room size and points needed.

dephenn
05-17-2008, 09:23 AM
We stayed at OKW and found the atmosphere relaxing and pleasant. I saw it mentioned that it is not Disney like. I would have to disagree. Disney tries and replicate themes of many different places and if you have ever been to OKW the this resort captures the theme perfectly. There are also the hidden Mickeys. Although the main pool is a little small compared to other resorts its big enough that no one is bumping into each other and each section has its own pool area to make up for the main pool and if pools are important to you you can pool jump most seasons to other resorts. I would agree that I thought the buses ran behind, but we were there at peek season it may be better during value season. The restaurant Olivia's was really good. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Best of luck on your decision.

RedPanda
06-07-2008, 02:56 PM
We love OKW! Our next trip is in 15 days and I can't wait! It is relaxing, calming and lovely. One of the best decisions we've ever made!:cloud9:

vizsla
06-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Old Key West is our favorite DVC Resort and also where we call home. The rooms are larger than other DVC resorts, it has a nice quite atmosphere, and is just a nice relaxing resort to be at when you need that rest from the parks.

kalford
06-21-2008, 01:56 PM
The good and the bad:

The Good:
OKW has the largest rooms, best floor plan, full size washer and dryer with laundry room, lowest points per stay and lowest cost to buy.

The bad:
No elevator (a problem if you are on the 3rd floor), least favorite DVC pool, not next to amusement parks, Olivias restaurant is just ok.

Maleficent's Dad
06-21-2008, 09:43 PM
First off - Welcome to Intercot, Kalford!!!

The bad:
No elevator (a problem if you are on the 3rd floor), least favorite DVC pool, not next to amusement parks, Olivias restaurant is just ok.
I do have to disagree on two points. There are three buildings with elevators at the OKW resort - so if there is a disabled person in need of such services, buildings do exist with elevators.

Also, Olivia's is, at least in my opinion, more than "just ok." It isn't what it was ten years ago, but for a good meal - three meals a day - it will be more than okay. In fact, some of our best breakfast meals ever at WDW were at Olivia's. Does it rank up there with Cali Grill or Flying Fish? Nah. But it beats the pants out of numerous other places on property. :mickey:

Horizon93
06-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Another thumbs up for Olivia's. It is much more than OK. I have had breakfast lunch and dinner there and have not been disappointed.

And the Gurgling Suitcase is awesome!

Grace
06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
You can walk to Epcot from OKW? Who knew!!:confused:

Horizon93
06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
You can walk to Epcot from OKW? Who knew!!:confused:

??

Did someone say that?

diz_girl
06-25-2008, 03:48 PM
They needed a comma after EPCOT. How about this:

"You can't walk to any of the parks, but Epcot and the studios are only a short bus ride away. MK is a bit further and AK is a long way from most places."