PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Prices

Jeff G
05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
WOW. My DW and I did our bi-weekly grocery trip today and I almost fell over when the total came up. I missed the last three trips so I haven't paid much attention to the sky rocketing grocery costs. Today I noticed that my DW was leaving out a few of my favorite snacks and being the child I am I pouted but she insisted we needed to to meet our budget. We'll when we got to the register I was given a reality check. For the same cart full that cost only $150 a few months back we payed $180 even skipping the snacks. We have a very set routine and our grocery bill is within $10 every trip.

After reviewing the receipt I can't believe the jump in costs. A dozen eggs $1.80 up from $.80 just a year ago and the loaf of store brand bread was $1.39 up from $.79 in January.

We already are very frugal at the grocery store and there really isn't anything more we could cut out. If the cost today is indicative of future grocery bills were looking at a raise of at least $60/month.

We also use about 16 gallons of gas per week and considering gas is up were loosing about $100/month there.

My old train of thought is well gas is up but it's only $20 /week but now coupling that with groceries I can say WOW between the two it's almost $200/month.

disneydeb
05-03-2008, 02:29 PM
It is getting really rough for many people to make ends meet. I am really having to plan out my grocery trips and my errands to save $$.

DD, her DBF and I were just discussing how we were all the 4 of us going to drive in one mid- sized car to save fuel costs and take less luggage and devote part of a day to laundry to save money when we try to go in December.

kakn7294
05-03-2008, 02:47 PM
We went shopping last night and it was $110 for a half cart of groceries - and that didn't include any fresh meats (I did get some deli meat and one package of kelbasi), the only snack was a box of Wheat Thins crackers, and I didn't get any staples like pasta and rice. It's getting harder and harder to figure out how to feed my family. I already try to limit my trips to the store since I no longer have one close anymore. I clip coupons when I remember but I'm going to have to do it more faithfully. I plan to plant a garden this summer but that's only going to go so far, especially since this will be a first attempt at gardening and we have tons of rabbits, chipmunks, and even a few deer in the area.

disneydeb
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Cicadas are nto be doing their 17 year mating cycle this summer in our area. I'm afraid they will eat more than our forest friends.:(

Gooftroop5
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
We are preparing the garden area & my mom bought plants today. I usually have the garden for the whole family. This year we are planting a few things at my parents so they don't have to stop all the time at my house to get the fresh vegetables. I make & can homemade tomato sauce & whole tomatoes. We freeze extra stuff. My mom makes pickle relish & pickles from the excess cucumbers. Even doing this I will probaly still spend 3-4 times more than I did last year.

I went the other night even taking advantage of great sales I still managed to spend $77. Don't ask me what I bought because we are already out of food. :mad:

mjaclyn
05-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I feel your pain... I have to shop at three different grocery stores every week in order to grab the sales where I can. I do my best to stick to a $150 budget but most of the time it doesn't work. When there are big sales I try to stockpile a few things and then the next week's bill is lighter. I also get a few things at Sam's club (like paper plates, plastic cups, bottled water) that we go through quickly and are less expensive in bulk. I'm more shocked at how fast gas has gone up. Two months ago I was paying $50 to fill up and yesterday it cost me $63!!!! It's so incredibly ridiculous and all I can say is that I hope it gets better soon because I know we're not the only ones having such a hard time.

kakn7294
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I was sitting here trying to figure it out and if I spend $200 on groceries every 2 weeks, my stimulus check of $1800 will only last for 9 grocery trips or from Monday May 5 (when it's scheduled to be cleared by the bank) until Monday August 18. That's pathetic.

BronxTigger
05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
JeffG - If it makes you feel any better, your groceries are cheaper than mine. Eggs are $1.99 (med size) a dozen, milk is $4.49, and bread is $2.49. Cheese? Forget about it...8oz is around $5.

I can't tell you what our "regular" check amount is because we do several small trips to the store a week. We don't have a car so we simply cannot buy a lot at a time.

Honestly, it's cheaper to get the $1 burgers at Burger King or McDonald's then to eat at home. Of course, it's not nearly as healthy, but it's definitely cheaper.

ljv1975
05-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I know how everyone feels. I need to go grocery shopping as well. Like many others, I only have a certain amount of money to spend, so I have to budget what I buy very carefully. I have noticed on my last few trips that it is taking less and less items to meet my set dollar amount. If this continues we will have to cut back elsewhere, but I'm not sure where because we really don't go out to eat or spend money on too many "extras".

I'm not sure about everyone else's utility bills, but it seems like every month I'm getting a notice from someone saying that they are going to raise the cost of our utilities. This month it is the gas company raising gas a little over 8%, last month it was the water company and two months before that it was the electric company. :ill:

It's not easy especially with a baby due in 2 1/2 weeks and only DH's income to support the soon to be 4 of us. I hope better times are coming, but I won't hold my breath.

Jeff G
05-03-2008, 05:47 PM
JeffG - If it makes you feel any better, your groceries are cheaper than mine. Eggs are $1.99 (med size) a dozen, milk is $4.49, and bread is $2.49. Cheese? Forget about it...8oz is around $5.

:eek:

crazypoohbear
05-03-2008, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=BronxTigger;1620453]JeffG - If it makes you feel any better, your groceries are cheaper than mine. Eggs are $1.99 (med size) a dozen, milk is $4.49, and bread is $2.49. Cheese? Forget about it...8oz is around $5.

Those are the same prices I just paid here in MASS. for bread, milk and eggs. I thought NY was suppose to be the most expensive place to live:confused:

I just filled up my mini van (paying 3.39 per gallon, thanks to the discount of 20 cents a gallon from price chopper) and it STILL cost me $67.00 for 20 gallons.

crazypoohbear
05-03-2008, 06:17 PM
OH, and I forgot to add that the large 96oz of tropicana OJ that use to cost 4.69 now costs 4.89 AND the size was changed to 89oz!!! Only they don't tell you that. You are told that it is a new easy to grip container!!!!:mad:

BronxTigger
05-03-2008, 06:23 PM

Those are the same prices I just paid here in MASS. for bread, milk and eggs. I thought NY was suppose to be the most expensive place to live:confused:

I just filled up my mini van (paying 3.39 per gallon, thanks to the discount of 20 cents a gallon from price chopper) and it STILL cost me $67.00 for 20 gallons.

Those are BRONX prices. Mid-Manhattan prices ARE higher. My friend refers to Whole Foods as "Whole Paycheck".

The last time I looked at the gas prices in my neighborhood, they were $3.75 for the lowest grade. (Last week)

Massachusetts, from what I hear, also has a high cost of living overall, although I don't think it is as high as most of Manhattan.

OH, and I forgot to add that the large 96oz of tropicana OJ that use to cost 4.69 now costs 4.89 AND the size was changed to 89oz!!! Only they don't tell you that. You are told that it is a new easy to grip container!!!!:mad:

Companies do this a lot. Drives me crazy. Those Poland Spring eco-friendly bottles are the same way. The old size was 20 oz, the new size is like a half liter or something...NOT 20 oz. (Do you think this may be how they use less plastic??)

princessjojo
05-03-2008, 07:18 PM
We feel your pain here in NC as well. I used to try to take sandwiches with me to class for lunch, but at 2.69/loaf it really is easier to get something off the $ menu at McDonalds. I've cut out soft drinks and started making more tea and drinking water. Even the cost of fresh fruit is astronomical. We have a "fresh market" of sorts here and they by far have the best prices on fruits and vegetables. I bought some fresh squash the other day for .79/lb and a 10lb bag of potatoes for $3. But they're out of the way. It's a give and take and I seem to be the one doing the giving and they're doing the taking.

BTW, I bought items to make spaghetti from scratch last night (tomatoes, pasta, onion, pepper, pepperoni, and some bread) and it cost me $22. Not bad for dinner for a family of 4, right? I had the other ingredients at home and there wasn't enough left for leftovers. Go figure.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Our prices in Nashville are about the same. I paid $2.59 for bread and $7.99 for 35 trash bags yesterday. I think cheese was $4.89. It is ridiculous! There were a few things I was going to buy but didn't because of the prices. Some things I only buy when I have coupons now.

We went to Taco Bell for dinner the other night because it cost less than what we'd spend making a meal at home.

Terra
05-03-2008, 07:35 PM
We are in the same boat as well. In order for me to continue to be a stay at home mom [which we both feel for us and our own beliefs is right] we must stick solidly to a budget.

Our weekly grocery budget [including everything from diapers to toiletries and those "extra trips to pick up milk" is $150.

Normally for the basic shopping week I'd spend about $75. This past week I really noticed the jump, when it was $100 for pretty much the same list of items. And with my DH and DS who both LOVE milk that eats up money. I told DH he's on a milk ration!:blush:

I've enjoyed reading this thread though and gaining some more money saving tips! And it's really interesting reading about the prices of various items in different regions.

Here where I'm at in Florida I pay $3.88 per gallon of milk for DH. I buy the organic milk for DS and that is roughly $5.85 a gallon. I buy organic cage free farm eggs and they are $2.14 a dozen. [Regular eggs are $1.80 or so.] Bread here too is about $1.50 for the cheaper bread that falls apart!
Fresh produce and fruit are just crazy. It really burns me that the "healthier" items are so expensive. I used to pay about .70 per pound for green peppers. The last few weeks they have been roughly .76 cents PER pepper!

I went ahead and gathered some recipes to start making my own bread though to save money. And I too am thinking of putting out a little garden for our produce needs. Also I'm cooking more from scratch in general. Instead of buying frozen french fries for instance, I buy a bag of potatoes and make our own. As well as mashed or roasted potatoes all from scratch.

I also buy a bag of frozen chicken breast instead of the fresh meat. I also try to buy several packs of meat when it's on sale and freeze it.
Oy...sorry to ramble, but I do like discussing this type of thing:blush:

It's good to know I'm not alone though. And do you know I've had people that I know [not friends, just in passing or acquaintances] who are more "well to do"....well they are the snobbiest people ever and are always saying "Oh gas is no big deal or food is no big deal...it's only money!!" :mad: IMO, no job is truly secure and what we have today can easily be gone tomorrow...

princessgirls
05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Were feeling it too.

I just did a $200 grocery order and cut out some of the snacks and extra's. It's up from $150 last year.

My paycheck hasn't gone up in two years. I drive a Suburban, which I am trying not to make any unnecessary trips with. It's hard.

On a side note, I'm in Northern NJ, and pretty much people are living the same as they always have here. I was just out on a business trip to Michigan. They economic condition were I was was just sad. So many houses with FORECLOSURE signs on them. Business gone, companies vacated. Restrauants empty. It's not good at all.
Julie:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I plan to plant a garden this summer but that's only going to go so far, especially since this will be a first attempt at gardening and we have tons of rabbits, chipmunks, and even a few deer in the area.
I've been having a problem with a rabbit around my plants too. My older sister said to put crushed red pepper around the plants and that should keep the critters away. I haven't done it yet but it's cheap enough to give it a try, especially when I put my tomato plants out.

kakn7294
05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been having a problem with a rabbit around my plants too. My older sister said to put crushed red pepper around the plants and that should keep the critters away. I haven't done it yet but it's cheap enough to give it a try, especially when I put my tomato plants out.Thanks for the tip - it's worth a try! My Dad used to plant marigolds around the perimeter of his garden but I don't think it really works as well although the flowers are pretty.

disneydeb
05-03-2008, 09:42 PM
It's good to know I'm not alone though. And do you know I've had people that I know [not friends, just in passing or acquaintances] who are more "well to do"....well they are the snobbiest people ever and are always saying "Oh gas is no big deal or food is no big deal...it's only money!!" :mad: IMO, no job is truly secure and what we have today can easily be gone tomorrow...

Those that say "it is only money" are just too stupid to realize that it takes money to buy food and health care.

Sorry, that attitude of some people just burns me.

ckaranassos
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Just a tip and maybe many of you have tried this- but I sit with the grocery store flier and plan my meals for the week with what's on sale (plan meals like Robin Miller from foodnetwork ex: make extra on night to use for another) and I find I spend a lot less money. Food is still expensive but I seem to spend a little less. What is doing me in is my kids have lunch and a snack at school, that means two waters, two yogurts, two sandwiches and two types of yummy snacks. My supplies are going fast. Especially since my kids only like land of lakes american cheese @ almost 7 dollars a pound (ouch). Peanut butter is becoming our best friend. :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the tip - it's worth a try! My Dad used to plant marigolds around the perimeter of his garden but I don't think it really works as well although the flowers are pretty.

I think that the marigolds are to keep away certain insects not critters.

As for keeping critters away the guy at lowes told me that you could also put down plain white soap shavings and it would keep away rabbits and such.

BrerGnat
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I am so jealous of all of you and your CHEAP (by comparison) prices.

Here, in Southern California, are some of the prices I just paid for some groceries/gas today:

GAS: $3.95/gallon at COSTCO

MILK: $4.99/gallon at TARGET (Market Pantry brand milk)

Bread: $3.89/loaf at Target

Eggs: $1.99/dozen at Target

Butter: $2.69/lb Target Brand

OJ: 96oz Tropicana $6.59

Bananas: $0.19 each at Trader Joe's, but $1.99/lb at supermarket...guess where I got them...

It is getting to the point where I'm doing MOST of my food shopping at Target and TJ's and I'm still spending in excess of $150/WEEK for just me and my 2 kids (3 and 2 year olds). It's ridiculous. I don't buy soda, anything in a big air filled bag (chips, snacks, etc), cookies, ice cream (although that's $5.99/half gallon nowadays), bottled water, etc. I drink tap water, and so do my kids, at each meal. The only drinks I buy are milk and OJ. I cook less and less these days, because it is more expensive buy all the ingredients to cook dinner 5x/week than to eat simple things, like sandwiches, "breakfast for dinner" (my kids love this), soups, etc. The main problem we have is that my kids and I eat a lot of yogurt, milk, cereals (oatmeal included), fruits/veggies, chicken, rice, etc. This is the stuff that's going up in price, so we're always paying a lot. Have you seen the price of brown rice lately??? It's rough.

Terra
05-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Those that say "it is only money" are just too stupid to realize that it takes money to buy food and health care.

Sorry, that attitude of some people just burns me.

Exactly!! Me too...that attitude just gets under my skin and it seems lately I've run into that quite a bit...but then again I just hate when people thing money and material things make them who they are...
Not too long ago I was in Orlando at Winnie Palmer Hospital to get an ultrasound. They have valet parking for $1 more than it costs to park in the garage so we went ahead and did it.
When we came out to wait for our car, there was another couple there along with about 7 other families waiting on cars.
Well the husband was ranting and raving and pacing back and forth, all the while with the blue tooth in his ear **rolls eyes**...And he turns to his wife and finally says...."Where is our car??? Who else is waiting???" [Well hello we are all standing in the Valet lot!...Anyway, with such snobbishness and 'holier than though' tones she waves her hand at the rest of us standing there and says "All these people...these cows..." :confused::mad:

So my DH tried to lighten the mood and he joked and said..."Hey you should just hope in the next car that comes around..." And the rest of us kind of laugh trying to lighten the mood too...And then she replies in the same tone....No, I've seen the cars coming around here and they are not nearly as nice as our car!:mad:
I just figure there's coming a day when such people will find out what it's truly all about!

Just a tip and maybe many of you have tried this- but I sit with the grocery store flier and plan my meals for the week with what's on sale (plan meals like Robin Miller from foodnetwork ex: make extra on night to use for another) and I find I spend a lot less money. Food is still expensive but I seem to spend a little less. What is doing me in is my kids have lunch and a snack at school, that means two waters, two yogurts, two sandwiches and two types of yummy snacks. My supplies are going fast. Especially since my kids only like land of lakes american cheese @ almost 7 dollars a pound (ouch). Peanut butter is becoming our best friend. :thumbsup:

Oh I do this too!! Great idea and it really does save money [even though our bills have gone up]....I plan the weeks meals out and ones that will have leftovers so we can eat them for lunches the next day!

If we do buy soda we buy the cheaper store brand [only my DH even drinks it...] I drink mostly water and decaf iced tea]...it really does save money cutting out such things as soda that are unnecessary anyway...And a bottle of 100% juice for DS will last upwards of a month because I dilute it!

daparish
05-04-2008, 12:18 PM
I have learned to freeze all leftovers. I cooked a lasagna which we ate for a couple of days. I had probably about one slice left this week but I froze and did not throw away. It's not even enough for both of us for diner but enough for one of us to take for lunch one day.

Flower
05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Groceries are driving me crazy these days. I try to go a couple of times a week so the produce is fresh and it gets used as needed instead of sitting in the fridge and getting forgotten about.

I was going to make DH a cheesecake a couple of weeks ago. By the time I gathered the cream cheese I was up over $14. I ended up going to the frozen section and picked up good 'ole Sarah Lee for less than $5. I told my husband the idea was there and to remember that it was the thought that counts!

It is no wonder people are over weight from eating processed foods (me included), it is just so much easier and cheaper to purchase things pre-made. In Ontario we have a store called M&M's, they deal with frozen meals and are awesome! I can walk in, buy a meatloaf for $6 and it is cooked within an hour. To buy all of the ingredients would cost a heck of a lot more than $6. They have a ton of variety and I have never had a bad meal from them.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Those are BRONX prices. Mid-Manhattan prices ARE higher. My friend refers to Whole Foods as "Whole Paycheck".

The last time I looked at the gas prices in my neighborhood, they were $3.75 for the lowest grade. (Last week)

Massachusetts, from what I hear, also has a high cost of living overall, although I don't think it is as high as most of Manhattan.

Companies do this a lot. Drives me crazy. Those Poland Spring eco-friendly bottles are the same way. The old size was 20 oz, the new size is like a half liter or something...NOT 20 oz. (Do you think this may be how they use less plastic??)

Just an FYI, the old bottles of Poland Spring were only 16.9 oz and the new bottles are still 16.9 oz, just shaped differently.

JanetMegan
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Well I just walked in from the store from my weekly trip. I usually spend about $100 a week but I feed a lot of company (so I'm not just cooking for myself) and this includes food to stock our office with light breakfasts and sandwiches.

Here are the killers for me right now:
Broccoli-fresh-$2.49 a lb (I spent more on veggies than meat today.)
Green Pepper-$1.25 EACH
Lemons are now .50 cents
Limes are .50 cents

I am so with you guys re: the processed foods and eating out. I almost NEVER eat out but I tell ya it's getting cheaper to do just that. I just don't know how some of these restaurants (esp the small ones) will survive the jump in prices. I like to cook fajitas at home but by the time I buy beef (which is really high now) onions (which are up to $1.25 a lb) green peppers, tortillas, sour cream and chips and salsa I might as well get some to go.

It's sad that the cheapest things right now are bologna, sausages, mac and cheese etc.

Bagged salad is getting crazy high too.

Oh and I just paid $1.69 for gas.

ChipnDaleGal
05-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh and I just paid $1.69 for gas.

Janet - I am guessing that you didn't type the right number in there somewhere for your gas, coz that would have been a great price!!

JanetMegan
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I meant $3.69 and that was ith my grocery card and 10 cents off per gallon.:blush: