PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

kakn7294
05-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Anyone see Iron Man yet? We went today and I have to say that I liked it. They did a good job of adapting the original Iron Man origins to modern day events and the costume was awesome - I especially liked his interaction with the suit and his robotic tools. I loved Stan Lee's cameo too. There were a few moments when I cringed since my 8 yo DD was sitting there with us but all in all, I enjoyed it. Let's here what the rest of you think!

Jeff G
05-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm planning on going tomorrow & I'm fairly excited with the rave reviews it's been getting. How was Robert Downey Jr? This is a role I can't picture him in.

I'm glad to here you had your 8 yr old with you. I'm taking my DS(9) & DD(11). They've been to all three of the new Star Wards, Pirates & Transformers which I'm assuming this is equivalent to?

kakn7294
05-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Surprisingly, Robert Downey Jr was great - exactly how I expected Tony Stark to be. Gwyneth Paltrow was very good and so was Jeff Bridges. I'd equate this to Transformers - more of a story in Iron Man though. There's a scene in the beginning with some very "adult" content but it's over quickly. The rest is violence and language but no worse than those movies that you mentioned. There's quite a bit of humor too - some your kids won't get. Both my 8 yo and 13 yo DD's liked it very much.

Jared
05-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm seeing it tonight, and I can't wait. The reviews have been excellent.

:D

kakn7294
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
BTW, I should mention to those of you who are seeing this movie - stay for the bonus scene after the credits (I hate when they do that) - comic book fans will appreciate it.

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
I think we are planning to see it this week. Glad to hear it's good. After the first trailer, I wasn't sold. It looked good but then it busted out with Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" in the background and I just started laughing, it was really corny. (Even though I do like the song).

Jeff G
05-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I saw it last night and enjoyed it except I didn't know about the scene after the credits.

Comparing it to past comic book movies I'd equate it in my opinion to Transformers last year or X-Men. I was glad I saw it and will rent it to see it again when in comes to DVD.

Jared
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
I loved this movie so much more than I expected. I was shocked. It is possibly my favorite Marvel adaption. At least, it's the only one closing any ground on "Spider-Man 2," which I thought was excellent.

Still, though, my favorite recent comic book film is still Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins."

Finally, the scene after the credits was worth the price of the ticket.

:)

Disneyatic
05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
DH and I saw this Saturday night and loved it. I think it is my all time favorite comic book adaptation movie.
I want to see it again! Robert Downey Jr. was great in his role! I loved all the humor in the movie very unexpected and fun.
I commented to DH that we should wait through the credits in case they tried to sneak something in, we waited a few minutes and then gave up. DARN! I wish we would have waited another few minutes to see the bonus scene! Oh well, guess we will just have to go see it again :blush:

TheDuckRocks
05-05-2008, 10:58 AM
We had the grandkids (DGS 13 & DGD 10) here over the weekend and we took them to see it. I'm not a comic book fan and usually don't get into this type of film, but surprisingly I really enjoyed it.
I am a big fan of Robert Downey's acting ability and it was really good to see him clear eyed and seemly healthly. Oh yeah, and buffed........that was a surprise!:blush: I wish him well in the future, it would be sad to lose him and his talent to his addictions.
I'm not happy to hear there was something special after the credits, the theater where we saw the movie started rudely herding the audience out as soon as the the credits began to role and they already were bringing in the next audience before we had all exited. :mad: What a nightmear!

kakn7294
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
:spoiler:

This is a text version for the bonus scene after the credits for those who are interested and missed it. Highlight the white text below to read it:

As Tony walks into his home, Jarvis (the computer) welcomes him home then another voice says: "I am Iron Man. Think you're the only superhero in the world? Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe, you just don't know it." - we see him from a distance standing in front of that wall of windows facing the ocean. Tony responds with a "Who the h*** are you?". In a face shot now, we see it's Samuel L. Jackson with an eyepatch on. He says: "Nick Fury, directory of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger's Initiative."

This leads us who know a bit or more about Iron Man and the Avengers to believe that an Avengers movie is in the works. It was a short scene but the implications are huge! If you want to see the scene for yourself, search Youtube for "Iron Man - Extra Credit" for the scene recorded with someone's cell phone. The quality is poor but you get the idea. I'd advise against searching the internet to find it - some of the websites had some decidedly adult content that had nothing to do with this movie and several others had features that they wanted me to download and if I didn't, it froze the screen.

Jeff G
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I read this just before reading your post Kathy, your assumption was righ on.

Marvel Comics plans more superhero films, plus an 'Iron Man' sequel

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
Fresh off Iron Man's imposing performance at the box office, Marvel Studios announced four new comic-book movies Monday, including an Avengers movie that will team Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor.
The new movies will include:

•Iron Man 2, reprising the tale of the man in metal, will be released April 30, 2010.

•Thor, based on the popular Norse warrior, is scheduled for release June 4, 2010.

•The First Avenger: Captain America is due out May 6, 2011.

•The Avengers, the story of the crime fighting team, is slated for July 2011.

•Ant-Man, about a biochemist who can control insects, is in development with no release date slated.

That is in addition to The Incredible Hulk, starring Edward Norton and due in theaters June 13.

No casting decisions were made at the announcement, made before Marvel stockholders Monday, though Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr. has said he's interested in reprising his role and co-star Gwyneth Paltrow has said she is signed on for two more installments.

The news came a day after Iron Man took in $100.8 million for the weekend, the second highest opening for a movie that was not a sequel.

"They've got so much cachet right now, it makes sense to take advantage of it," says Paul Dergarabedian of Media By Numbers. "The key will be to getting the high pedigree of actors they had for Iron Man. If they can do that, they'll push comic-book movies beyond being niche pictures and into a genre like romantic comedies or action-adventure — something that doesn't have a stigma."

Jared
05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Ant-Man? There is a character named Ant-Man? Is he supposed to be intimidating or funny? I thought Spider-Man and Batman were silly, but Ant-Man? This one I have to see.

Thor and Captain America, however, are awesome.

TheDuckRocks
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh, good grief! With this list of new movies being planned I may never get to see a romantic comedy again. My grandson is already bugging me to take him to see the Hulk and the new Batman movie.
Thanks for the info on the end credits Kathy.

2Epcot
05-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I saw the movie on Saturday and enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. I didn't really know the comic book character, but found the movie very entertaining. I was not surprised by Robert Downey Jr's performance at all, he is a great actor. It was also nice to see Gwyneth Paltrow back again in a film. I agree some parts seemed a little intense for younger ones, but that seems to be the nature of most of these superhero movies ... The villian has to be as mean as possible to make the hero look that much better. I did catch the part after the credits ... Most of the time I sit through all the credits anyway, but I also had a couple of guys behind me say, something was coming up.

PirateLover
05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Got to see it today, loved it! Will definitely own this one on DVD. There were a few moments where you had to suspend disbelief and remember it was a super hero movie (example, don't you think the US Army would've found the scraps of his original suit first? I mean he couldn't have gotten THAT far from where he crashed).
But overall another great Marvel movie. I love how the new crop of super hero movies are really trying to make these guys seem like they fit into the modern day real world. Although, I'm not sure exactly how Ant-Man or Thor will succeed in this same vein.

One minor bummer-our theater didn't show the Batman trailer. I really wanted to see the trailer on the big screen. We did get Indy, but we had to sit through an absolutely awful trailer for that Mike Myers Guru movie. When the trailer isn't even a bit funny, that's a bad sign (and I'm usually a Mike Myers fan).

2Epcot
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Got One minor bummer-our theater didn't show the Batman trailer. I really wanted to see the trailer on the big screen. We did get Indy, but we had to sit through an absolutely awful trailer for that Mike Myers Guru movie. When the trailer isn't even a bit funny, that's a bad sign (and I'm usually a Mike Myers fan).

I can't remember if the theater I was showed Batman or not, we got Indy. Not sure if this was worse then sitting through the Guru movie trailer (I guess it depends on if you're a fan or not). We had to sit through the Speed Racer trailer, not once or twice ... They showed the Speed Racer trailer 4 times in a row, yes FOUR. By the third and fourth time I was just laughing.

kaerbear178
05-08-2008, 12:45 AM
I loved it as well! I went in not knowing anything about Iron Man and he just me be one of my favs now! LOVED Robert Downey Jr. as well. We will definately own this one on DVD as well when it comes out. We were jipped on seeing the Dark Knight trailer as well...we got The Happening instead.

GothMickey
05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
For those of you who saw the movie, did you notice where they filmed the society party? Yep, Disney Concert Hall. They even mention it by name in the movie. Also, go see it again. The scene where they show the computer machine taking the irom costume off Tony Stark, there is a quick glimpse of what appears to be SPOILERS AHEAD: Captain America's shield.

Not sure if it really was it or not, but, it sure looked like it. I even found pictures online that showed that scene, and it does resemble it, a little bit.

PirateLover
05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
For those of you who saw the movie, did you notice where they filmed the society party? Yep, Disney Concert Hall. They even mention it by name in the movie. Also, go see it again. The scene where they show the computer machine taking the irom costume off Tony Stark, there is a quick glimpse of what appears to be SPOILERS

I think your spoiler could be real, given the bonus scene at the end and the announcement of various Avengers movies.:thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-13-2008, 01:41 AM
For those of you who saw the movie, did you notice where they filmed the society party? Yep, Disney Concert Hall. They even mention it by name in the movie.Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not sure DH did - I'll have to ask him.

2Epcot
05-13-2008, 02:06 AM
For those of you who saw the movie, did you notice where they filmed the society party? Yep, Disney Concert Hall. They even mention it by name in the movie.

The Disney Concert hall in downtown Los Angeles has been very popular since it was completed. The building is used for lots of events in addition to the music concerts that are done there. I believe last year it was used as one of the sites for the American Idol gives back show. This is the first movie that I can remember seeing it in, and having such a prominent part. There probably have been others films where it has shown up in the background. The building is often used in car commercials because of the unique architecture.

kakn7294
05-13-2008, 08:12 AM
The Disney Concert hall in downtown Los Angeles has been very popular since it was completed. The building is used for lots of events in addition to the music concerts that are done there. I believe last year it was used as one of the sites for the American Idol gives back show. This is the first movie that I can remember seeing it in, and having such a prominent part. There probably have been others films where it has shown up in the background. The building is often used in car commercials because of the unique architecture.Thanks for the info - it really is such a strange-looking building.

Melanie
05-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Loved it and so did my sons (8 and 10)! Wasn't very familiar with the character either, but now I'm a fan and Robert Downey, Jr. was awesome. I'm happy to see him do well. And in general, Gwyneth Paltrow bugs me, but I liked this role.

The ending was great. Very unexpected, for me at least.

And I really enjoyed Jon Favreau's bit part (loved him since his stint on 'Friends').

Looking forward to part 2!

DisneyCouture
05-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I saw it this weekend and we brought my MIL too. Everyone loved it. My DH is a huge fan of the Marvel movies. I thought Robert Downey did a great job and can't wait for the sequel.

DizneyFreak2002
05-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Iron Man was awesome... I am already looking forward to the DVD release...

RenDuran
05-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Loved it! It was truly entertaining from beginning to end. My 9-year-old daughter hated it, though.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was Gwenyth Paltrow. There was just something about her in that part that seemed so contrived.

I wish I had read this thread before going....I missed the bonus scene! But I had purposely not read anything about the movie, because I didn't want everyone's thoughts swirling through my head while I watched.

Disneyatic
06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
The scene where they show the computer machine taking the irom costume off Tony Stark, there is a quick glimpse of what appears to be SPOILERS AHEAD: ....
Not sure if it really was it or not, but, it sure looked like it. I even found pictures online that showed that scene, and it does resemble it, a little bit.

DH and I went to see this again last night and loved it even more the second time around!
We watched closely for the scene talked about above and saw it! I can't believe we missed that the first time around!
I think it was a definite clue to the future movies.
We also waited past the credits to see the bonus scene and it was really cool. I can't wait for the sequel!!!!

diz_girl
06-03-2008, 05:31 PM
And I really enjoyed Jon Favreau's bit part (loved him since his stint on 'Friends').

I'm a fan of his too. I always like seeing him onscreen. I guess that he can hire himself in the movies that he directs, such as this one and Elf.

As for trailers, we got The Love Guru, The Happening (which may be too scary for me-I'm a big baby), the Dark Knight, and Hulk. Edward Norton is a great actor, as is Tim Roth, but the trailer did not make me want to see the movie. It looks like it almost has the same Hulk CGI problem as Ang Lee's Hulk a few years back. The Dark Knight didn't look really inviting either. I'd rather go see Kung Fu Panda.