PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco - August

Luthien Tinuviel
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi,
My husband and I are planning a week-long trip to San Francisco this coming August. It's sort of my graduation present! We are taking the train from Denver to San Francisco and then flying back. We already have plans to see Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf as well as Chinatown. We are also renting a car for a day to do some wine tasting in Sonoma.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on other things to see and do, places to eat, and any other information of that sort. Thanks for your help!

NotaGeek
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Definitely take a trip to Muir Woods to see the Redwoods.

My favorite place for breakfast/lunch is Savor in Noe Valley (it's one of the neighborhoods that makes up the city). You will LOVE it. The best burgers in the city IMO are at Barney's Burgers, also in Noe Valley.

For a great dinner try Universal Cafe in the Mission. Great food and funky ambiance, reservations are needed.

TexasPrincessAurora
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Scoma's on the wharf...best seafood I've ever had...

There is a restored train in Napa that tours through the wine region and serves meals. Fantastic! Awesome way to see the entire area.

SBETigg
05-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm so glad you asked. I'll be in San Francisco at the end of July and I was wondering about that, too. I've never been there. Looking forward to it! How fun for you to take the train from Denver.

Luthien Tinuviel
05-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Thank you for the info! Scoma's looks really good. Do you know how far a drive it is to the Muir Woods? I'm sooo excited! Only ten more weeks of school and then San Francisco! What a great payoff!

joelkfla
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
If you're up for some light hiking, would like some picture postcard views of the Golden Gate Bridge and downtown SF, and if the fog's not too thick ---

Visit the Marin Headlands (http://www.nps.gov/goga/marin-headlands.htm) of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. It's at the north end of the GG Bridge.

Get a park map at the Visitor Center, and drive up to the hills overlooking the Golden Gate. If you've ever seen pictures of downtown SF framed by the Bridge, that's where they were taken. One of the most beautiful views I've ever seen.

Also, ride the Hyde Street cable car (http://www.sfcablecar.com/) from Powell, and sit in front on the left side. Even better, if they still allow riders to stand on the running boards, try for the front left pole. Spectacular views of Alcatraz and the Bay as you crest the Hyde Street hill.

If you're into historical technology, visit the Cable Car Barn Museum (http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/museum.html). You'll see the enormous electrical motors and giant pulleys (they're called sheaves) that power the system. (If you didn't know, cable cars are pulled along by a constantly moving cable under the street.)

MNNHFLTX
05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Loved the Cable Car Museum--very interesting! I would also recommend taking the evening boat excursion out to Alcatraz. You get to be at Alcatraz while it's still light, but by the time your return boat leaves dusk is falling and it makes the the island seem a little darker and spookier. And the lights going on in the city as you approach is very pretty.

If you go see the Golden Gate Bridge, make sure and visit Fort Point at the base of the bridge (actually underneath it). It is and old Civil War-era fort, run by the National Park Service, and has a great vantage point of the bridge and all the ship traffic coming in underneath it. We also enjoyed spending an afternoon in the Golden Gate Park--it's huge! There's lots of gardens, a conservatory, Japanese teahouse, Dutch windmill (and tulips), polo fields and even a herd of bison! It's a fun place to walk around or bike (they have bicycle rentals there).

As for restaurants, the main one that stands out in my mind was the Swan Oyster Depot in Nob Hill. It's a little hole-in-the-wall and is very popular for lunch, so we had to stand in line for a while, but they had the best clam chowder and oysters! We also tried out a dim sum restaurant in China Town called Miriwa and while I'm sure there are plenty of excellent dim sum places in SF, this was not one of them. So that is a recommendation not to go there, just in case. :)

mouseketeer mom
05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Isn't the Walt Disney Family museum on fisherman's wharf now???
Also, Bodin's sourdough bakery on the wharf is yummy. You can smell it a mile away! The sealions on the pier are fun to watch. We went in August a few years back and had quite a chilly week. 60's with strong breezes during the day and even colder at night. Pack some cozy things,especially for when you are down by the wharf.

joelkfla
05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Isn't the Walt Disney Family museum on fisherman's wharf now???
No, it's at the Presidio, the former military base at the southern end of the Golden Gate Bridge.

But it's not planned to open until August 2009 (http://www.presidio.gov/trust/projects/disney/).