PDA

View Full Version : DDE Cards?

WDWfeelslikehome
05-02-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm leaning towards gettting a DDE card for this trip. I haven't used one before. Any good or bad experiences that people have had with them? Also is it easier to get it before I go or when I'm there?

KylesMom
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
We've purchased the DDE card for the past several years, and have found it to be of great value. If you plan on eating at participating TS restaurants (or are staying at a resort than does not have TS dining) it's a good deal. We've never had a "bad" experience when utilizing the card. There are blackout dates when you cannot use the card (major holidays) and you cannot use the DDE card in conjunction with a package (such as Fantasmic Dinner Pkg). They have also started including an 18% gratuity, but since you'd be paying gratuity anyway you're still saving money. In the past we always tipped our 20% savings to the server, now it will be less if we let them do the "figuring".

We've always applied over the phone, but I think this year we're going to purchase the card at guest services when we exchange our vouchers for A/Ps. From what I understand, it is very easy to do and just takes a minute. Enjoy! :marg:

DDuck66
05-02-2008, 09:48 AM
We have had one for the past year and love it. We usually save anywhere from 10 to 20 bucks per meal (only 2 of us). Now that you can actually get the card at the parks, it is much easier. In the past, you picked up a temporary card and they would mail you the hard card several weeks later. Also since the card is good towards alcoholic purchases, we find it is a much better value. The only down side is that is not good for special occasions (Dinner Package at CP) and several others.

Crow
05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
this is the 2nd time Ive had one & found it to be a good deal esp getting it discounted as a Passholder
this time i got it at Epcot before I entered. That way you also have a later expiration, rather than ordering ahead of time & possibly losing a few wks before your trip. It also doesnt correspond to my AP expiration as I got it a few months after the AP.
Just in that 1 trip I made out good w it, figuring I saved $110 or so & it cost like $60.
Im also going to use it in Sept on the meals I wont be using my free dining credits
and it being good for:beer::marg:is a big plus.
I used it a few times in the Rose & Crown pub when i had a few:beer:
as stated its good in some food courts like Pop where I used it on a refillable mug & a few things.

mjstaceyuofm
05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
We've always applied over the phone, but I think this year we're going to purchase the card at guest services when we exchange our vouchers for A/Ps. From what I understand, it is very easy to do and just takes a minute. Enjoy! :marg:

Now that you can actually get the card at the parks, it is much easier. In the past, you picked up a temporary card and they would mail you the hard card several weeks later.Can someone explain the process of actually getting the card at the park when you turn in your vouchers for APs? Is this a new development? 2 years ago when we had APs you had to apply for the DE card and it took weeks for the permanent card to get to your house via USPS.

We're going in August for 9 days and will be purchasing APs (vouchers) later this spring.

Thanks.

KylesMom
05-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Matt, as I understand it, when you are exchanging your vouchers at any guest service window, you just mention that you'd also like to purchase the DDE. They issue you a card right on the spot.

It is a new development and has begun just recently. :mickey:

Piglet822
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I've had my DDE for about a year, in fact I just renewed it last month. I love it! I've never had a problem, either.
We live locally and sometimes my boyfriend and I will do a weekend at the World and it's helped save us quite a bit on meals. I know there's a lot of controversy with the tip being included but I like that I don't have to figure it out afterwards. And unless asked beforehand, I don't volunteer that I have the card until shortly before the meal is over but before our server has printed up our ticket. I know many people are concerned with getting poor service since the tip is pretty much guaranteed, as am I, which is why I don't tell if I'm not asked :)

mjstaceyuofm
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Matt, as I understand it, when you are exchanging your vouchers at any guest service window, you just mention that you'd also like to purchase the DDE. They issue you a card right on the spot.

It is a new development and has begun just recently. :mickey:Thanks - sounds like a definitive positive step. Sounds easy too....

Belle_0717
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
We have had the DDE for 3 years. We renewed in March at the MK Guest Services. Getting the card on the spot is a blessing.

The value is immense. We have found that the card pays for itself after just one visit to WDW for us. Not that we are drinkers but including alcoholic beverages helps. We used it at the bar at AKL this past trip.

They also include tip which helps. No need to do math but we also tip a little extra too.

Get it!!!:thumbsup: