PDA

View Full Version : A Yankee Thread - 2008 Season

DisneyGiant
05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Here we go again Yankee fans.

As Yogi Berra would say - Deja Vu all over again?

What has happened to the offense? Its like they get paralyzed when runners are on the bases!

And poor Phil Hughes - actually I'm glad there's something to explain his poor performance. Hopefully, he'll be back to form after his rest and rehab.

As in the past year, this is intended to be a thread for Yankee fans to commiserate - and discuss the highs and lows of the season. Please keep the anti-Yankee comments to a minimum. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Here's hoping for some warmer weather and no rain!!!!!

BronxTigger
05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I just have to say that I was at the game today and had a great time. :D The Yankees won 8-2 over Seattle.

It was so hot though! I was told it was only 70, but it felt about 20 degrees hotter than that out in the bleachers!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
These past three games have been great. The offense finally seems to be clicking some more. As a big Damon fan I have been very happy the past two days.;)
Rasner looked good today. Mussina has really looked good too.

We are usually at quite a few games by this point in the season. Because of my knee surgery we haven't been to The Stadium since Opening Day Part 1 and 2. We have tickets for the first week in June against the Royals. I can't wait to get back!!

BronxTigger
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
We are usually at quite a few games by this point in the season.

That's funny. I work around 10 blocks from the Stadium and go past it every day, but I've only been to 2 games...one last season and then again yesterday. A coworker of mine has lived in the Bronx for over 20 years and has NEVER been! She says she HAS to go this year for the history of the Stadium.

It's been cool to watch the new Stadium go up. It's sad that the park was decimated, though. I really miss the mature trees that they took out. And I also wish I had more photos of the new stadium under construction.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
That's funny. I work around 10 blocks from the Stadium and go past it every day, but I've only been to 2 games...one last season and then again yesterday.

We go so much because my husband and I are not only Yankee fans, we have three kids that are too.;)
My parents only brought us in once or twice a season growing up. I love to see my kids at games. It is a great family thing for us.
We are only going to the games we really want to see this year with gas prices though. We drive a Suburban. With gas, parking, tickets, food and stuff for the kids each game it gets really expensive!
I wish we lived closer, I am jealous!!
The new Stadium looks awesome. My 10 year old is really upset that the old one has to come down. It really bothers him.
It must be really neat for you to have been able to watch the new one go up from the ground. We were amazed to see it on Opening Day from where it was the last game we were at last season!

JPL
05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Hopefully A-Rod will be back soon to jump start the offense.

kakn7294
05-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Man, last night was quite an embarrassment! I'm going to a game in July and actually wanted to get tix to the Subway Series but now I'm glad it was on my weekend to work and I couldn't go! I hope they can turn it around soon as they actually have a worse record than my favorite team, the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
I actually turned the game off last night. I can count on one hand how many times I have turned off a Yankee game.:(

Something has to start clicking soon. Pitching, hitting, everything!!

JPL
05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
The only good news is it's still early in the Season and the have some time to turn it aorund

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
The only good news is it's still early in the Season and the have some time to turn it aorund

From your mouth to their ears!!:thumbsup:

kakn7294
06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm so excited! Last night, for some strange reason I can't explain, I was checking around on the Pirates website and checked ticket availability for the Yankees series which has been sold out since they day they went on sale (and I missed it). They released standing-room-only seats earlier in the week and I was checking on availability and pricing for those, thinking DH and I could go to a game and stand. To my delight, I discovered that there WERE some actual seats available in a great location - the 300 level just inside of third base so I got 4 and we're all going! How awesome is this - we get to see the Pirates vs Yankees at PNC on June 26 then travel to NYC to see the Yankees vs A's at Yankee Stadium on July 20! No offense, but I'll be rooting for my Pirates on this one!

JPL
06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
A nice 5 Game Winning streak going too bad Wang had to get hurt right when they really took some big steps forward.

DisneyGiant
06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey Guys! Thanks for keeping this thread around!

Its been a while since I have been on intercot. My mom was sick, and unfortunately passed unexpectedly.

As I type this the Yankees have been "hot" winning 7 in a row - and are tied with Cincinnati 1-1.

Highlights in my mind so far:

Joba
Moose
A Rod
Matsui!!!!
Damon

Am I missing anyone?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-26-2008, 06:59 PM
We are heading into the Stadium on Tuesday night for the game. It is the first one we have been to since Opening Day Parts 1&2.;)

Last nights game was a great one to watch. Joba looks good and I have the game on now to watch Moose. I can't believe how well he is pitching!

kakn7294
06-27-2008, 12:06 AM
I was at that game - and got rained out! We stayed until they made the announcement that it was a rainout before we left. At least we get to go back on July 10! I feel really bad for all the fans who traveled to the 'Burgh for this game - it might be hard for many to travel back. I'll be sorely disappointed if it rains when we're in NYC next month. Hey Allison, I hope it doesn't rain for you on Tuesday!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Allison, I hope it doesn't rain for you on Tuesday!

Well, it didn't rain.

But, we lost 3-2. :(
Mo allowed the go ahead in the top of the 9th. I have only been to one other game when he has allowed a go ahead run.
My son looked at me and said "But Mom, that is Mariano Rivera??!!". He's only 8, lol. He is not used to seeing that.
We still had a great time though. Good seats and a great crowd around us who really got a kick out of my 4 year old daughter.
I hope you don't get any rain when you are here!

kakn7294
07-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Well, we finally made it to our Yankees - Pirates game, no rainstorms in sight! I'm sorry to all Yankees fans here but I was thrilled the Pirates won (gotta love the home team first!). Being a Yankees fan as well as a Pirates fan, I do have to say that I was disappointed in some of my fellow Pittsburgh fans though in their ant-Yankees chants and such - I know it's all part of the game, but I still don't like it.

I'm hoping for more great weather and Yankees victory for our upcoming game July 20 at Yankee Stadium! I don't know what's wrong with them but I hope the All-Star break fixes it. It's like there's just something missing - no fire or something.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm hoping for more great weather and Yankees victory for our upcoming game July 20 at Yankee Stadium! I don't know what's wrong with them but I hope the All-Star break fixes it. It's like there's just something missing - no fire or something.

I am glad you had a good time at your game.:)

I hope they come around after the All Star break too. They have games where I think they are clicking and then games like last night where they look like they have no drive at all.

Hopefully you are treated to a great game on the 20th!! No matter what, there is nothing like a game at Yankee Stadium.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-12-2008, 05:22 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Murcer family. Such very sad news right after the game ended.

:(

JPL
07-12-2008, 10:39 PM
A very sad day for baseball :cry: I saw him when he did a book signing at the Yogi Berra Museum and he didn't look well at all. I am glad I had a chance to meet him he was truly a special person. He will be missed :(

DisneyGiant
07-14-2008, 12:36 AM
I was so so sad to hear the news of Bobby's passing.

He had been my favorite broadcaster, and I have been missing hearing his voice in the booth.

I hope Bobby, Thurman and even Mickey are reuniting up there......... :(

DisneyGiant
07-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I am glad you had a good time at your game.:)

I hope they come around after the All Star break too. They have games where I think they are clicking and then games like last night where they look like they have no drive at all.

Hopefully you are treated to a great game on the 20th!! No matter what, there is nothing like a game at Yankee Stadium.

Ugh - today's effort - looked like they just wanted to get the heck out of Dodge!

We so need Damon and Matsui back ....... if we're going to make a run.

Also - Jorge needs to get over his lack of catching time - Molina is clearly better there when there is speed on the bases.......

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Ugh - today's effort - looked like they just wanted to get the heck out of Dodge!

We so need Damon and Matsui back ....... if we're going to make a run.

Also - Jorge needs to get over his lack of catching time - Molina is clearly better there when there is speed on the bases.......

I couldn't agree more. I read today that Johnny suffered a slight setback. Hopefully, it was just that, slight. He is one of my favorite players.

Posada is another one of my favorites. I really didn't think I would see the day when I would be wishing Molina was in instead of Jorge.:(

kakn7294
07-16-2008, 01:50 AM
I read today that Johnny suffered a slight setback. Hopefully, it was just that, slight.Yeah, I was hoping to see him on Sunday - his first day eligible to be back, but no such luck. They say he "needs more time" but I didn't see any specific timetable.

I read today that Matsui may opt for surgery - I have a very bad feeling that we won't be seeing him back in the lineup until next season.

Disney Yankee
07-17-2008, 08:49 PM
What do you all think the second half of the Yankee season will be?

Anyone think that Sexson will add that needed spark of offense?

kakn7294
07-22-2008, 10:22 PM
We had a GREAT time at our game Sunday. I do have to say that having a newer ballpark like PNC in the 'Burgh and seeing Yankee Stadium firsthand, I understand now why they didn't think it's possible to renovate the old stadium to make it user-friendly. I know it has a lot of history, but I found the walkways very narrow, the stadium in general difficult to navigate with 55,000+ other people crammed in, the concession selections lacking, and the place looking much more rundown than it appears on tv. However, it was a great honor to be there. Unfortunately though, Monument Park was closed by 11:40a and we never did get to see it but like the tourists we were, DH and I accidentally wandered around the outside of the stadium after the game right over to where the players came out. We got to see Jeter, Damon, A-Rod, Molina, Rivera, Pettite, and Sexton as well as a few others. As far as the game, Yankee fans are far more serious about baseball than Pirate fans. The atmosphere was much more intense than it is at PNC but in a good way. I'm certainly enjoying this winning streak of theirs since the All-Star break. Let's hope they've finally found the formula to put them back on top!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Kathy, So glad you had a great time at your game! I'm bummed you missed Monument Park though.

Can you believe the difference in this team since the All Star break??!! I was hoping Cano was going to come around. He is on fire! Good things!:D

kakn7294
07-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Awesome, isn't it? I am again totally bummed though. I really like Nady and I hate that he's been traded but at least he's still with a team I like. Things are really looking up - the whole team seems to have caught a spark.

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Another awesome trade for the Yankees... They are going for it for sure.... Farnsworth is now gone to Detroit for Pudge Rodriguez....

So, we rob the Pirates and get Nady and Marte... Now we raid Detroit and get Pudge... Gotta love the Yankees...

Disney Yankee
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Another awesome trade for the Yankees... They are going for it for sure.... Farnsworth is now gone to Detroit for Pudge Rodriguez....

So, we rob the Pirates and get Nady and Marte... Now we raid Detroit and get Pudge... Gotta love the Yankees...

I don't know - these trades don't seem to be working for us!

I seriously think they may not make it to the playoffs this year - they seem to lack the "fire" to get there........

I hope I'm wrong - but I may be paying more attention to Giants football in September......

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh well.

2009 + New Yankee Stadium = 27th Championship!

Girardi is already sick of his uniform number!