PDA

View Full Version : Chefs de France

KAT1811
05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
We are planning our dining for our upcoming trip in November and are having trouble picking a restaurant for our DD#3's second birthday (we have three DDs 11, 4, & 2 on our next trip). We are spending the day in Epcot so we will eat in or around the park. We were thinking of Tutto Italia but I have not been hearing too much positive feedback regarding the venue.

I was just poking around in the menus and was looking at Chefs de France. I was wondering what everyone thought of it. Did you enjoy it? I am looking for something different that we will enjoy.

gardenia
05-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Bistro is not really a place for young children. Why don't you try someplace the kids would enjoy and fit in, like Beaches & Cream (Beach Club) or Spoodles (Boardwalk) or Biergarten (Germany)? If I had to pick one for the younger crowd, definately B & C.

KAT1811
05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
My children are very used to fine dining and I am confident they would fit in just fine. I was more interested in the actual menu and service. They were excellent at the California Grill on our last trip.

TheRustyScupper
05-01-2008, 11:59 PM
1) As mentioned, Bistro is not a wise choice for kids.
2) Kids are actually discouraged.
3) In fact, there is no kid's menu at Bistro.
4) Cali Grille is OK for kids, but Bistro
. . . has more adult-taste and refinement to the food
. . . has a slower pace than other eateries
. . . takes 1/2-hr to 1-hr longer than Cali Grille
. . . has no great scenery, so kids do get bored
. . . they do not build special plates for kids
. . . it is far quieter and more serene that other WDW eateries

NOTE: One of the reasons we like the Bistro is that we do not see a lot of kids. Fortunately, the food is higher priced and is not on DDP, so this discourages people from bringing kids. I do not mind kids, but once in a while adults feel like more elegant dining and mainly with other adults.

KineGirl
05-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I noticed at the title of your post you wrote Chefs de France which is a seperate restaurant from the Bistro de Paris.

I would have to agree with the other posters re Bistro while Ive never seen children discouraged the 3 times Ive eaten there Ive also never seen children eating there. Not that your children wouldnt behave - my daughter has attended some of the finest dining establishments on the east coast since she was 5 and could hold her own (shes now 17) - however the Bistros menu is more for a highly sophisticated palate, very French and there is no childrens menu. If you would like to try French what about Chefs de France? Its still fine dining and theyre even doing a Rattatoui (the movie) thing with it for the kids. While its not the best French food Ive ever had its by far not the worst and I have yet to be even close to completely disappointed in the half a dozen times Ive eaten there. Id even venture to say it was fantastic 5/6 times. Other than that Germanys Oktoberfest is alot of fun with kids. Its more of a buffet though. Or maybe in Japans Teppen Edo or Tokyo Dining? Or Coral Reefs seafood menu and fish tanks abound? You know youre kids and their tastes and Im sure youll pick something everyone will enjoy.

So you understand what everyone is talking about regarding the Bistro menu - Items served recently ('06) included
-Thinly sliced Atlantic salmon cured with spices and dill, topped with its raw tuna tartar
-Layers of pan seared foie gras and crispy apples with peaches and a balsamic vinegar sauce
-Casserole of snails with Portobello mushrooms in a creamy garlic sauce

KAT1811
05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I noticed at the title of your post you wrote Chefs de France which is a seperate restaurant from the Bistro de Paris.

You are completely right. I must have been thinking one thing and typing another when I typed my post. I meant dinner at Chefs de France.

Anyhow, I would not hesitate to bring my children to Bistro if it were something we were interested in. They have more class than many adults I have encountered over the years. I'll worry about my children but thank you all for your concern.

KlineGirl, thank you for your feedback regarding Chefs de France. I will edit my original post accordingly.

KineGirl
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Please dont think anyone was doubting your childrens behavior (at least I wasnt and I dont think anyone else was either). Its really more of menu choices and how enjoyable they would be for your children. Our family is one that has several chefs and my daughter has been exposed to alot of delicasies from a young age. She tried everything but she still preferred Mickey Pasta at 5. I know alot of adults who are intimidated by Bistros menu. Please dont take offense - ppl just genuinely want to help here IMO

Again, youre right - you know your children better than anyone and if they liked the type of menu that is served at Bistro then by all means take them! But IMO as a family with such young children, you all would be much happier with the fare at Chefs de France.

Have fun on your trip! Say hi to Rattatoui for me if you see him at Chefs (they say hes under the Chefs hat);)

coloradowendyl
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Chefs de France is a great experience for kids, especially if they are used to restaurant dining. It has been one of my boys favorite restaurants along with Boma since they were little. My oldest son had his 9th birthday dinner there and still talkes about the beef tenderloin and the french waitress that kissed his cheek! Personally, I think the kiss is what he remembers the most! At 17...he can only wish he would get another kiss!

That being said, I have two "foodies" for kids who eat absolutely everything and always have!

As I tell my clients who ask about dining at Disney with children, there are very few restaurants at Disney that are not "child" friendly. It's Disney, "child" is what they specialize in! A few of the Signature restaurants,etc that have a very long,leisurely dining style may prove to be a bit much for a little one who wants to eat and then go play again, but parents know their children and pick restaurants that best fit their childrens dining styles.

As you mentioned, your children are used to dining out, so they should be fine.

Bon Appetit!
Wendy

SBETigg
05-02-2008, 03:56 PM
My kids love Chefs de France, particularly my daughter. It has a bright, lively atmosphere, kid-friendly. Service and food can be up and down, which explains why Chefs gets mixed reviews. When it's good, it's really really good. It's occasionally not so good. I've been there for both but more often good than bad for me. I would take a chance and give it a try.

Natazu
05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
While I tend to put Tutto Italia in the "average" column, I have to say it's preferable to Chefs De France, especially for kids.

:twocents:

castlelady36
05-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Chef's is a great place for kids. It is one of my fav restaurants!! That being said I think you are taking what everyone one is saying a bit too seriously...no one was questioning the behavior of your children as you made it quite clear how comfortable they are in "fancier" situations. I hope you enjoy Chef's as many of us do here.....just my opinion

Jared
05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
While I tend to put Tutto Italia in the "average" column, I have to say it's preferable to Chefs De France, especially for kids.

:twocents:
I'm absolutely no expert in French cuisine, but I actually enjoyed my one meal at Les Chefs de France in October. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad, especially compared to the other World Showcase restaurants I've tried. Cher even convinced me to eat escargot, which was slimy and slightly disgusting, albeit tasty, experience.

It is definitely appropriate for young children and families, so you shouldn't have a problem. If you do go, try the profiteroles, which were divine.

:tasty: