PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in Toronto in August?

alphamommy
05-01-2008, 09:21 AM
We're going to be in Toronto the first weekend in August. I called to make our hotel reservations yesterday, and was told that we would have to have wristbands to enter our hotel that weekend. No one without wristbands will be admitted, even to the lobby. She said that there is some event going on, but I couldn't understand the name of it.

I just found it on a Toronto website. It's called "Caribana" Does anyone know anything about this? Do we really want to be there that weekend? We're mainly going to Toronto to take DD to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Thanks!

Flower
05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Tammy, Can you change the weekend you come here?

We have never gone to Caribana (We live an hour away from TO), but the festival media coverage always seems so busy that we avoid going. The hotels will be packed too.

I hate to discourage anybody from coming to see our beautiful country! A lot of the festival happens near the waterfront and Toronto has SO much to see, How old is your DD and is there any other sites you are considering seeing?

alphamommy
05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
We're thinking of reversing our trip so that we go to Toronto at the end instead of the beginning, around August 14 or so.

DD is 8. She's really into science, so we'll likely do the science center, and will probably take her to the CN Tower. What else should we see/do?

We have reservations at Smuggler's Notch in Vermont starting 8/5 for 7 nights, so we have to plan around that.

Mickey'sGirl
05-01-2008, 01:16 PM
I just found it on a Toronto website. It's called "Caribana" Does anyone know anything about this? Do we really want to be there that weekend? We're mainly going to Toronto to take DD to the Hockey Hall of Fame.Caribana is a fantabulous festival that takes place over the first weekend in August -- and the city will be very busy with visitors -- but it will be so alive with the activity of it all! Don't be scared off by the media! If you are staying right downtown in Toronto, you will be able to use public transit to get wherever you want to go -- so driving won't be an issue.

There is a Toronto City Pass that you can get you into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Science Centre, the CN Tower and the Royal Ontario Museum for a considerable discount. Here's the link (http://www.citypass.com/city/toronto.html).

Toronto is a hugely multicultural city with so much to see and do that isn't run of the mill. If your daughter loves Hockey -- she will really enjoy the Hockey Hall of Fame -- and the Science Centre is great fun.

If you do decide to come later in the month, you will also get the opportunity to attend the Canadian National Exhibition "The Ex". It has been running annually for the past 129 years! It runs this year from August 15 to Sept 1.

I hope you have a terrific time!

alphamommy
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Since I've had replies from two Ontario residents, I'll ask another question.

We haven't been there since DD was born, but on our last two trips to Toronto we went to the Keg Mansion for dinner. I honestly don't remember seeing kids there. Can we take our 8-year-old? She LOVES steak, so I don't think the menu will be problem

Thanks,
Tammy

Mickey'sGirl
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Absolutely. We have taken our kids there and other Keg locations many times. :thumbsup:

ps.... I grew up in T.O. (I now live in the suburbs), went to University here, and work downtown each and every day. My family makes frequent use of everything this city has to offer! I have done just about everthing there is to do here -- I really love my city and love to help out future visitors when I can!

Verolovesdisney
05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Hello!! I live in Ottawa (about 250 miles from Toronto) and I can't speak directly for the Keg in Toronto, but the Keg here in Ottawa does an incredible job with the kids. The waiters always make our DD (7 years old) and DS (5 years old) like king and queens. They always bring them their own appetizers (veggies and dip) and sometimes even give them their own bill!! (0$ owing obviously...) It's the kids favorite place to eat here in Ottawa, too bad it's a few bucks more then McDonalds..

For Toronto, i'm not local, but have been dozens of times, there are two more downtown attractions you may want to know about; Ontario Place and Centreville Island Amusement Park. Ontario Place has a Water Park area as well as a few rides. You will need to drive there from downtown (about 5 minutes). Centreville Island is sort of an old style amusement park with mostly midway type rides, about 25 in all. Of the two, I prefer Ontario Place, the water park is different looking and gearded toward kids. Centreville Island is OK, but you need to take a ferry (extra $$) and overall I did not find it was worth the money they charged. And the day we were there, the service everywhere was horrendous...

One more things, albeit out of the way, is Canada's Wonderland, Canada's biggest theme park. It's about a 30 minute drive from downtown, and one of the former Paramont Parks. All in all, it's a really good park with lots of variaty including a great water park area. My only real issue with Wonderland is the crowds can get really bad, especially on the weekend and they really don't seems to be able to handle the slew of people. (huge lineups for rides and restaurants.) But if you can hit it on a Tues/Wed, then i'd make it a go.

Hope this helps, maybe next time you'll come to Ottawa, where they are building 2 water parks (including the biggest one in Canada!!) set to open summer 2009.

Richard

Sep 1976 - Offsite
Feb 1989 - Offsite
Sep 1999 - ASMusic (Honeymoon)
Jan 2001 - ASMovies
Sep 2004 - Pop Century
Mar 2006 - Disneyland
Mar 2007 - Universal Orlando
Mar 2008 - Pop Century

alphamommy
05-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!

I discovered that "The Music Man" is playing at Stratford this summer, and called yesterday to order tickets. I'm quite excited, as this is probably the only musical I could ever convince DH to attend (he thinks "The Blues Brothers is a musical! :rolleyes: ).

We're going to a matinee on Friday, August 15. This will be DD's first real live play (other than the shows at WDW).

Since we've never been to a show in Stratford, we aren't sure about the dress code. I'm assuming no jeans or shorts, but just how dressed up should we be?

Thanks!

Flower
05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Yes, Ontario Place is great, the Toronto Zoo, I have not been to the Science Centre in a while but it was always good.

I LOVE going to the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) and the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario).

A short drive away is Niagara Falls and wine country in Niagara on the Lake, and the Ex.

Canada's Wonderland is fantastic for an amusement park & Water park. Don't forget the CN Tower!

Polynesian Dweller
05-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!

I discovered that "The Music Man" is playing at Stratford this summer, and called yesterday to order tickets. I'm quite excited, as this is probably the only musical I could ever convince DH to attend (he thinks "The Blues Brothers is a musical! :rolleyes: ).

We're going to a matinee on Friday, August 15. This will be DD's first real live play (other than the shows at WDW).

Since we've never been to a show in Stratford, we aren't sure about the dress code. I'm assuming no jeans or shorts, but just how dressed up should we be?

Thanks!

We have been around the Festival for most of our lives. DW grew up 2 blocks away, family worked at it. Anyway, the dress code could be considered to be like Disney's resort casual. You'll see everything from people whoe dress up to quite casual. Dress Disney casual and you'll be fine.

I'd suggest the Arden Park Hotel for accommodations by the way. Right by the Festival Theatre.

Mickey'sGirl
05-08-2008, 08:21 AM
You'll see everything from people whoe dress up to quite casual. Dress Disney casual and you'll be fine.
I agree. Matinee's are especially casual.

Enjoy!!!

NJGIRL
05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
We went to the Paramont Theme Park Wonderland in Toronto a few years back and it was very very nice. It was clean, beautifly landscaped and the rides were alot of fun.