PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with INTERCOT - May

Carol
05-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Share your recipes & tips, ask advice, get ideas...

It's all about Cooking with INTERCOT for May! :mow: :flower:

:eat: :pizza: :popcorn: :mcoffee: :stir:

MsMin
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I need a recipe for jam. We have a Japanese Plum tree and have bags of plums (those little yellow plums) so I figured we should probably make some preserves. Only I don't know a good recipe and have never made any jellies or preserves. Can I get some help? advice? My bread maker says it makes preserves and I didn't know if that was easier than the traditional way.. could just be messier.

offwego
05-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I need a recipe for jam. We have a Japanese Plum tree and have bags of plums (those little yellow plums) so I figured we should probably make some preserves. Only I don't know a good recipe and have never made any jellies or preserves. Can I get some help? advice? My bread maker says it makes preserves and I didn't know if that was easier than the traditional way.. could just be messier.

Plum jam is super easy. as you don't need to peel them like say peaches.

If your grocery store has jam jars it will have jam setting pectin pacs as well. (Bernardin is the brand up here but google jam making and I'd bet you'll get lots).

It's essentially this packet, sugar fruit and voila! I wouldn't use a bread maker as it will be hard to scoop out the little bit for the test batch.

For a non pectin one try this...

3 cups copped plums 2 cups sugar 4 tsp lemon juice 1/4 cup cystalized ginger.
In 8 cup container place plums sugar and lemon juce microwave on high for 7 minutes stirring twiceadd ginger microwave 15-18 minuts stirring every 4 minuts. Ladle into sterile jars and process to seal.

MsMin
05-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Plum jam is super easy. as you don't need to peel them like say peaches.

If your grocery store has jam jars it will have jam setting pectin pacs as well. (Bernardin is the brand up here but google jam making and I'd bet you'll get lots).

It's essentially this packet, sugar fruit and voila! I wouldn't use a bread maker as it will be hard to scoop out the little bit for the test batch.
For a non pectin one try this...
3 cups copped plums 2 cups sugar 4 tsp lemon juice 1/4 cup cystalized ginger.
In 8 cup container place plums sugar and lemon juce microwave on high for 7 minutes stirring twiceadd ginger microwave 15-18 minuts stirring every 4 minuts. Ladle into sterile jars and process to seal.
That sounds easy. I like the microwave idea. These are those little yellow japanese plums so I wasn't sure about the sugar I should add, it seems to vary so much in recipes. I'm just afraid I'll kill the family with botulism or something. :blush: The skin on these seems very tough too. I will have to let you know when I venture into the world of jellies:thumbsup:

offwego
05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
That sounds easy. I like the microwave idea. These are those little yellow japanese plums so I wasn't sure about the sugar I should add, it seems to vary so much in recipes. I'm just afraid I'll kill the family with botulism or something. :blush: The skin on these seems very tough too. I will have to let you know when I venture into the world of jellies:thumbsup:

botulism is the sterile jar and processing part. Follow the directions from the jars and lids and seals you buy and you should be fine..or get a recent jam/jellie book from the libary to find out more.

The only jelly I've ever made is grape...one issue with jelly is the quanity of fruit to results. It always seems like such a waste to me.

Bethis26fan
05-19-2008, 02:20 PM
This is a healty recipe I got from Alli it really is very good and filling. I also didn't use the sugar subs. I don't like it so I didn't put it and it was very good.

Broiled Fiesta Pork Kabobs
Serving Size : 4

Ingredients
2 corn cobs, fresh
1 pound pork sirloin chop, raw, boneless
1 bell pepper, red, medium
1 bell pepper, green, medium
1/2 cup salsa
1 tablespoon margarine, canola-based, trans-fat free
1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar substitute

Preparation
Cut corn cobs into 1-inch pieces. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, cut pork into 1-inch cubes. On a separate cutting board, cut bell peppers into 1-inch pieces.
On 4 long skewers, alternately thread meat, bell pepper and corn.
For sauce, mix together salsa, melted margarine, cilantro, lime juice and sugar substitute. Brush some onto the kabobs.
place kabobs on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 15 to 18 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink inside.
Turn and brush with sauce occasionally. Serve with a tossed salad and warmed wheat tortillas, if desired.

Calories from Fat 80
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 140%
Calcium 2%
Iron 8%

disneydrmr
05-20-2008, 09:08 AM
For all who like Frisch's Big Boys....

Big Boy Casserole...

1 can bread dough crescent rolls

1 jar Frisch's tarter sauce

2 lbs ground beef, cooked and drained

1 medium jar of dill pickle slices

1 bag shredded lettuce

16 oz shredded cheddar cheese

In a 13 x 9 inch pan, spray with Pam and spread the bread dough over bottom. Cook according to directions and allow to cool a bit.

Then spread the jar of tarter sauce over the bread. Then spread the cooked and drained ground beef over the tarter sauce. Layer pickle slices over beef. Layer lettuce over the pickles. Cover lettuce with the cheese. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Scar
05-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Anyone have any good "eggs for dinner" recipe?

I just bought 90 eggs for $5.00. That's right, I said 90 eggs for 5 1/2 cents an egg.

I, of course, know the basic breakfast stuff like omlets and such but I'm looking for dinner stuff like quiche maybe?

tinkerbell04
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM

I just bought 90 eggs for $5.00. That's right, I said 90 eggs for 5 1/2 cents an egg.

I, of course, know the basic breakfast stuff like omlets and such but I'm looking for dinner stuff like quiche maybe?

I have this one...

Hash Brown Quiche

Cooking spray
6 eggs, divided
3/4 teaspoon celery salt, divided
2 cups (about 12 oz.) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups (about 12 oz.) frozen vegetable blend
1/2 cup diced cooked turkey or chicken
1 cup nonfat or low-fat (1%) milk

Evenly coat deep 9-inch pie plate with spray. Set aside.

In medium bowl, beat together 1 of the eggs and 1/4 teaspoon of the celery salt.

Stir in potatoes until well combined.

To form crust, press potato mixture onto bottom and up sides of pie plate.

Bake in preheated 375° F oven 5 minutes.

Remove from oven.

Sprinkle with vegetables and turkey.

In medium bowl, beat together milk, remaining 5 eggs and remaining 1/2 teaspoon celery salt until well blended.

Pour over vegetables and turkey.

Bake in preheated 375° F oven until puffed in center and knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

offwego
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Deviled eggs? Hard boiled eggs, tuna and potatos boiled along with steamed green beans for a salad nicoise?

Omlettes can be varied hugely to inlcude things like potato and sausage in a spanish omlette type thing, aspergus and ham, spinach and feta with tomato.

Also baked eggs with cheese, fill pita's with scrambled eggs. French toast...

motherhamv
05-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Does anyone have a good slow cooker recipe? I keep making the same things in mine, I would like to try something new.

Dracula766
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM

:chef: If I was to cook an egg dinner I’d probably make the following…

Caesar Salad w/ Chopped Boiled Egg
Straciatella (Italian Egg Drop Soup)
Ham & Spinach Frittata
Chicken Carbonara
and
Creme Brulee for desert

that should use up about 2 dozen eggs

Caroleh
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
I've had a couple requests to give an easy bar recipe, so here it is:

Multiple -choice bar cookies

Preheat oven to 350

1/2 c. butter(1 stick)
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Column 1
(1 1/2 c.)
graham cracker crumbs
vanilla wafer crumbs
chocolate wafer crumbs
animal cracker crumbs
sugar cookie crumbs

Column 2
(2 c.)
chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
peanut butter chips
raisins(regular or golden)
M & M(without nuts)

column 3
(2 c.)
Flaked coconut(5 oz.)
Rice Krispies
Miniature marshmallows(2 1/2 c.)
Frosted cornflakes(crushed)

column 4
(1 c.)
chopped walnuts
chopped pecans
chopped peanuts
chopped cashews

Melt the butter and pour it into a 9 by 13 in cake pan. Tip the pan to coat the bottom.

1. Evenly sprinkle on ingredient from column 1 over the melted butter.

2. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the crumbs.

3. Evenly sprinkle one ingredient from column 2 on top.

4. Evenly sprinkle one ingredient from column 3 on top of that.

5. Evenly sprinkle one ingredient from column 4 over the very top.

Press everything down with the palms of your hands. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool thoughly and cut into brownie sized bars.

I've been reading some murder mystery books that have recipes in them and this was one of them. It's really easy to make and you can keep changing it up to what your family likes.

DisneyCouture
05-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Here's a good recipe for eggs
Mexican Quiche
4 eggs
1 1/4 c half & half
Soft Tortillas (Line the pan with the tortillas as a crust)
2 sm cans green chiles
1 jar roast red peppers
1 bag shredded cheese
Salt & pepper
Mix all together & fill baking pan
Sprinkle top with paprika
Bake @ 350 for 45-50 minutes until settled

Caroleh
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
I had a cooking class last night and one of the things we made was chocolate ravioli. A few people have asked for the recipe, so here it is:

Chocolate Ravioli

6 eggs
2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. chocolate syrup

1/2 c. mascarpone cheese
1 T. sugar

Dough: Place eggs in a bowl with flour and chocolate syrup. Knead until dough forms. Roll with a rolling pin until it measures a 4" square, 1/4 inch thick. Roll through a pasta machine until desired thickness.

Filling place cheese in a bowl. Add sugar and stir together. You could also add flavored liqueurs instead of the sugar...orange, cherry, etc...

Place pasta sheets on heavily-floured ravioli mold. Egg-wash the top of the dough: add filling with a piping bag. Place another sheet on top, flour heavily and press with rolling pin until formed. you can press until it is cut though or use a knife to cut along the lines.

In another pan, have oil ready. Slowly fry the ravili until crispy. Remove, drain on paper towel and toss in powdered (icing)sugar.