PDA

View Full Version : Proposal plans at Disney

disneydeb
04-30-2008, 10:37 PM
OK gang, Dustin has asked me to come up with some good ideas to propose to my DD Amy in front of the castle in December. Let him hear some ideas that don't cost and arm and a leg. :D

Thanks guys!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Fantastic! It would be hard to beat a glass slipper and a ring on the steps of the castle! :bride: :groom:

Tink&Goofy
04-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Obviously in front of the castle! If he could time it just before Wishes started, it would be magical! I would also see if he could arrange with a photopass photographer could be available to photograph the whole thing - with a couple of posed "engagement pictures" afterward!
Wow. I hope I can go and watch this in person!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-30-2008, 11:08 PM
If he could time it just before Wishes started, it would be magical!
Awesome!! I would be blown away! Can't help but be excited for them!

disneydeb
05-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Fantastic! It would be hard to beat a glass slipper and a ring on the steps of the castle! :bride: :groom:

Tell me more....

Thanks!

And they want to know if you have to have a marriage license to get the bride and groom Mickey Ears? Can anyone buy them in a disney store or just on property? I think they want to wear them when they leave for their honeymoon and they are afraid they won't be back to Disney before then.

wdwfansince75
05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Since DW and I will have been married for 44 fantastic years this June, I haven't really given this a lot of thought....but in the spirit of something Magical :smickey:...How about this suggestion....Would take a little help from cooperative Cast Members, but wouldn't it be Magical if, for a small group, on the Family Magic Tour, the "prize", carefully staged, would be the ring....Perhaps held by a character....maybe even the Big Guy....

prprincess
05-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I suggest he try to find out beforehand if he'll be able to access that area or not. When hubby proposed to me in October of 2001 he'd planned to do it in front of the castle, but it was blocked off becuase of a show. He ended up proposing behind the castle, which was fine with me, but the poor guy was so disappointed and upset. I wouldn't want that to happen to Dustin, too!

And no you don't need a marriage license to buy the ears.

ltam16
05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I would try to get an early adr or go at park opening and do it in the am when the park is not crowded. During the fireworks would be nice but it so so jam packed. Plus if it were me I couldn't wait a whole day for that kind of secret!!

CleveSJM
05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I would enlist the help of a CM for sure. Try to set it up in advance or something. Near a photopass guy would be great. Maybe a CM from Cinderellas Table. Go in and give her/him the ring box, set it up where she comes running out after him and her and she tells him he dropped this in there, then he drops to a knee...

CM could even over do it, yelling too loud, making a scene to initially embarrass DD...

mook3y
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Very fun. :) my first though was to do it on pirates. Just before the first plunge :D kind of symbollic ya know. :)

But for in front of the castle, my thought is if he would really like to surprise her and capture it. There is a photopass spot to the right of the castle (when facing it - towards tomorrowland). There is a little area where you stand and the photopass photographers get your picture with the castle in the background.

He could just say lets get a picture here tonight and after taking the first picture, he could turn to her, get down on knee and propose.

This way, the background is a great shot of the castle, you have a photopass photographer already in place in a regular spot to take pictures and the pictures wont include a whole mob of people in them either.

Would love to be in line waiting to get my picture taken there and see that!!!!

:party:

KAT1811
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I would try to get an early adr or go at park opening and do it in the am when the park is not crowded. During the fireworks would be nice but it so so jam packed. Plus if it were me I couldn't wait a whole day for that kind of secret!!

:ditto:

I would get an early ADR for the castle and head there when there are very few people in the park. Have your future DSIL stop your DD say something that means a lot to each of them. Or something like. . . I love you and since we are in the most macigal place in the world, a place where wishes come true, I was hoping that you would make mine come true and spend the rest of your life with me. Will you marry me?

Then DD could spend the whole day on :cloud9: showing off her ring and making all of the appropriate phone calls. Then maybe she'll get a chance to actually sleep that night! LOL!

Very fun. :) my first though was to do it on pirates. Just before the first plunge :D kind of symbollic ya know. :)

:funny:

DH proposed to me in Las Vegas in front of the Bellagio with the fountains doing their dance. It was so magical. No matter where he proposed I would have been on :cloud9:. The moment was amazing.

On our last trip we were eating at CRT when a man, part of a large party, got down on one knee and proposed. They were seated right in front of the windows, surrounded by family.

Good luck and I'll be looking for the description of the actual proposal. No matter what he does, it will be magical.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Since DW and I will have been married for 44 fantastic years this June, I haven't really given this a lot of thought....but in the spirit of something Magical :smickey:...How about this suggestion....Would take a little help from cooperative Cast Members, but wouldn't it be Magical if, for a small group, on the Family Magic Tour, the "prize", carefully staged, would be the ring....Perhaps held by a character....maybe even the Big Guy....
I think this is a really cool idea!

Is it just the two of them going in December?

mook3y
05-01-2008, 02:11 PM

We thought about planning a special event last year and made some phone calls and found out about getting a character(s) to be part of this event.

It is possible to get characters envolved in this kind of thing. However, 2 major things about getting this done.

1) they do not allow it in a public area. It has to be in a secluded or private area and these are pretty limited. For what we were trying to do (an unbirthday party) it had to be in a private dining room.

2) its pricey. Dont remember the exact dollar amount but it was somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000. I am pretty sure it was in the middle of that range, but not positive.

KineGirl
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I got engaged at the castle!!! I copied my story from another thread- maybe it will give ya'll some ideas

We used to take an annual family trip usually around my DD birthday in Oct (cant now b/c of high school) which included my (at the time) DBF(Craig) , myself, DD, my uncle, his wife & my parents. Well my then DBF always has this much more laid back style than I do about how one should do The World and I sometimes I feel like Im dragging him along when he'd much rather be back at OKW pool with a Turtle Crawl in his hand. This particular year (2004) was no exception and to boot he wasnt feeling well. We even went to the ER at Celebration to get him looked at a few days into our vacay. The doc said he was fighting a minor bacterial infection, gave him some meds and sent him back to WDW. The next day he was soooo sick and totally lagging. Normally any little excuse is enough to send him back to the pool but that day he would not go back. I hate to say it but I was getting a little (ALOT) frustrated with him. He obviously felt awful and I felt like we were literally dragging him from one spot to another. Mind you we had my DD birthday lunch planned at the Castle and this is always a big deal with the whole family but I felt she & the fam would understand if he couldnt be there.. he was really sick!! But he said he hadnt missed a birthday lunch yet and he wasnt about to start & how he wanted to give her his present himself - he'd go back to the room after and rest. So Im thinking to myself "PLEASE hurry up lunchtime!" so he could go and rest already. We get to the Castle .. and he cant even eat. Hes totally green Im a little more irritated now that hes spent this money, cant eat and wont just go back to the room! THEN the server brings out this silver platter for dessert - I look at him and said "Dont tell me youre going to eat dessert now!!" Now Im totally irritated. The server lifted the lid and inside was a glass slipper with a beautiful sapphire & diamond engagement ring (just what I always wanted!! ) surrounded by rose petals. All frustration flew out the window needless to say! He got down on his knee, I started bawling, he dropped the ring, found it (PHEW) and asked me to marry him. I said yes of course and the guy at the table next to him jumps up and says "She said yes!!" and starts shaking Craigs hand! The whole restaurant was clapping and cheering - it was great! When we left to get Craig back to the room, a CM (park mngr type) asked how our visit was. I told her we just got engaged at the Castle! She said "right now?!" I said "RIGHT Now!!" LOL She reached into her pocket and gave us 2 passes to MNSSHP! So cool! Craig stayed in the room that night but insisted me & DD go have fun. We did and the next morning I took Craig back to the ER and it turned out he had cellulitus! Poor guy!! They admitted him and we spent 3 additional days in FL! Thats how I know he must really love me - he couldve died just to propose to me in the most perfect way. LOL It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me and Im so glad hes ok because now we've been married 3 years and I cant wait to spend many, many more!!

My uncle had the video cam & my Mom had the camera going the whole time :cloud9:

KineGirl
05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=KAT1811;1618523]
On our last trip we were eating at CRT when a man, part of a large party, got down on one knee and proposed. They were seated right in front of the windows, surrounded by family.
QUOTE]

LOL was it in Oct of 04? :mickey:

KAT1811
05-01-2008, 03:41 PM

LOL was it in Oct of 04? :mickey:

I wish it were. Actually it was September 07. Poor guy. I am glad to hear that Craig is okay now. Maybe we'll see you on an engagement anniversary trip and he can give you an anniversary band to go with that saphire and diamond ring! (I too love diamonds and saphires. My right hand ring is an oval saphire surrounded by diamonds in the shape of a diamond.) There is something so captivating about saphires. Congratulations on your engagement and marriage. He sounds like a wonderful guy!

MissStyles
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Deb here's my idea. Maybe the wishing well right next to the castle?? Since it gets dark much earlier in December try to plan it on a night that has fireworks around 7.........do the proposal right before....watch the fireworks, then the two of them should head to the CG for an ADR around 8:30/9 and have a fabulous meal........they'll be :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

I just remember after my proposal we had dinner at the Ritz Carlton and it was a meal I'll always remember. Dustin must be so excited!!!!!

KineGirl
05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Ive also heard of other ppl proposing at the train sta. where you can see the castle during fireworks.

I like the wishing well idea too. Tell her to close her eyes, toss a coin and make a wish. When she opens them hes on his knee with a ring!

PirateLover
05-01-2008, 04:10 PM
There are many great things to do. It really depends on the personalities involved. I would've loved to have had the big proposal in front of everyone because I love being the center of attention ;) but my fiance is more reserved and would be too uncomfortable doing that sort of thing. He proposed to me after Wishes. He walked me down the the Rose Garden. We sat down on one of the benches and were alone. At this time the Christmas tree was in the Rose Garden and the Castle was lit up with the blue Christmas lights. It was a gorgeous sight. It was my birthday and it had been an exhausting day, and I was pretty worn out.(we almost didn't go to MK!) So we are sitting there and he says "Well it's time for your birthday present." He hands me a small wrapped box, I unwrap it and it's a large jewelry box. I open that to find a smaller ring box. Open the ring box, see the ring, start crying, looking at him, looking back at the ring waiting for him to say something and finally he took the box, got down on one knee and officially popped the question. I just couldn't stop crying. I think I just nodded yes, lol! Then, afterwards between my cousin and his gf who were also with us, everyone in the park soon knew we just got engaged and we got plenty of attention :D

Now, here is where my fantabulous idea comes to play. Towards the end of the night, after all of the fireworks and shows, we were walking through the castle. It was almost 1am, and the gates to the Castle stage were OPEN! We ran on the stage and started goofing around, he pretended to propose to me again (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/sweetanger/100_3803.jpg).
Now, I'm imagining that we probably weren't supposed to be there, but no one stopped us. Imagine if that were the real proposal! At the closing of MK, your DS gets his girl to come play with him on the stage, and then out of nowhere pops the question. He should probably talk to a CM in advance thought to make sure he can do it.

I should say that my boyfriend really had no idea how he was going to propose ahead of time, he kind of just went with the flow, and it worked out perfectly.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Tell me more....

Thanks!

And they want to know if you have to have a marriage license to get the bride and groom Mickey Ears? Can anyone buy them in a disney store or just on property? I think they want to wear them when they leave for their honeymoon and they are afraid they won't be back to Disney before then.
I've purchased glass slippers in the castle when there was a shop, but I know the store on Main Street with the glass and jewelry sells them. Got a small one (with date engraved?)for around fifteen several years ago. Engraving may be more now. Would need to sneak off to purchase and get engraving done.He could carefully place it on the step, then turn her around, pick it up and give it to her followed by the ring on one knee.....Check for a break in the crowd or ask a CM to field for you for a moment.....(Sigh:cloud9:) You don't need the marriage license--DD bought the hats ahead to use at her wedding reception.

KineGirl
05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
:mickey:

Arribas Bros at DTD have the slipper and will do the engraving

homeschool mom
05-01-2008, 05:16 PM
We were a part of a proposal when we were at WDW in May 2007. I asked the CM at the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS if my DD who was celebrating her 16th birthday could be a part of the pre-show with Four For a $. He said there was something already planned and he was really looking forward to seeing it. Well, after the group did their first song, they called up this couple and told the woman her BF had a very important question for her. The BF proceeded to get down on one knee, ring box in hand and make the proposal. It was pretty cool.

disneydeb
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
These are some GREAT ideas. Dustin is coming in this weekend so I'll show him your responses then.

Somewone asked if they were going down alone---NO!:D My husband and I are planning on being there as well as a group of JQ Intercotee friends.:thumbsup:

offwego
05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Deb, what about in the area where they do the Belle story book? It's a little more private in case that might matter to either of them.

I'd also say that with a morning time you may get clearer photo's and have less onlookers.

If it doesn't have to be the castle would Crystal Palace be an option? You could likely get the CM's to help you stage something there..I'm thinking with the parades maybe that they do during the meals? (you know make your DD run around the restaurant to come back and find Dustin on one knee with Pooh or Tigger or whoever looking on)

If it's got to be the castle at night see if Cinderalla's coach will be at the back one night and plan it for then..you may want to check the charachter meet section for other locations and ideas as well if you want that to be a part of it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-03-2008, 07:58 PM
This is so exciting!

DH proposed to me at Disney. In his case, it was at the end of Wishes. He came over to me, got down on one knee and told me that his wish was to be with me forever, so would I marry him? :cloud9:

I actually tease him a bit about it, because when he came over to me he was starting to tear up already, and I was worried he was hurt or something! :blush:

I loved it, it is a great memory, I do like the idea of having a photopass (or family) photographer there taking pictures, it would be great to have a pic of that night ;)

So, if I could have planned it, I wouldn't have changed anything, except having dinner or dessert planned afterwards. I wouldn't have wanted a huge scene (and this should be a big factor in the plans...does your DD want to be centre of attention, or should it be a more personal moment), although I'm sure more than a couple of people around us enjoyed watching :mickey:

No matter how he does it, enjoy the moment :bride:

PS. We had the bride & groom ears...you don't need anything to buy them...we loved having them. Maybe you could buy them for them, as a bit of a first engagement present :mickey:

JMTStone
05-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I like the wishing well idea too. Tell her to close her eyes, toss a coin and make a wish. When she opens them hes on his knee with a ring!

I love the wishing well idea too. Maybe you can have a Photopass person there for it?

You can look at disneyfloral.com. There are a bunch of cute items there, including glass slippers. And when she says yes, you guys can send a basket with the bride and groom ears.

disneydeb
05-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I gave these to Dustin this past weekend. He ran a couple ideas by me too. I think Amy is really lucky to have such a romantic boyfriend!

Thank you all! If there are more responses please keep them coming!:thumbsup: