PDA

View Full Version : 7 mo window, how easy?

nls721
04-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi - I am so torn between doing DVC or not. I like Disney but I also like alot of other places to vacation. I am not into the whole cooking while on vacay thing, so I have no desire to trade points and stay at a condo in Hawaii for example. I'd rather stay at a hotel. So, I would use DVC for studio only. I am tempted to pickup a Vero resale because it is so much cheaper then the ones at the World (even when you figure higher maintenance dues). I would have no intention of wanting to use it at VB. What's the reality I could get into a World resort though at the 7month window. I would only be interested in a studio. It's just DH and I so we like to travel when most families would not go and we would not want to go during a holiday. TIA! Nicole

Aurora
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Years ago you probably wouldn' t have had a problem, but DVC owners are now reporting much more difficulty getting into their desired resort at the 7-month window, and the opinions are that it will get harder and harder as Disney builds more DVC resorts. After Saratoga is sold out people will be buying hundreds more rooms at Animal Kingdom and then Kingdom Tower at the Contemporary.

I personally don't believe that people in the future will always be stuck at their home resort, because I think there will still be plenty of owners waiting 'til the 7-month window to switch around, but that also means the competition will be much greater.

Obviously your chances would be better in the off-season, but there are no guarantees. Also your chances would be better if your dates were flexible, but again, no guarantees.

If you're worried about that, why not buy at OKW? Resales there are not as cheap as VB, but some are just a few dollars per point more, and they're relatively cheap compared with other WDW resorts. At least you'd have a home resort at WDW for the 11-month reserve.

Plus if you buy at VB and you don't really want to, you might have double buyer's remorse -- for the location and the member dues in the future.

mjstaceyuofm
05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree with Aurora. Buy a resale at WDW if that's where you want to use it. Then you can book at your home resort in the 11 to 7-month timeframe and then call member services at 7 months to switch around your reservations if availability is where you want it to be... You can just have member services swap your points then all in one transaction. We've done that in the past, but I'm not sure how performing that transaction will work out with the increased number of DVC owners.

As far as cooking, et al. I agree with you. I'm not on vacation to cook, but those one and two-bedroom units are fantastic when you've got a family and want some extra space. What's also nice is the fridge for things like bottled water, orange juice, milk and cereal, etc. We typically use the kitchenette for a small breakfast in the morning (when we eat in or want to get a quick start on the day) or to make a cocktail (or two ;) ) prior to heading to the pool for an afternoon swim. If you don't drive to WDW, it's virtually impossible to cart a cooler with you to store apples, limes, milk, OJ, etc...

Owning DVC has totally changed our approach to any vacation. Hotels just seem so "confining" to us anymore. Our first choice is a condo, villa similar to a DVC unit or house anymore when we vacation outside of WDW. Try it a few times and you can't go back to a standard hotel room with king-sized bed, a little desk with a chair and a small bathroom.

MickeyMousse
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I have only been able to stay in our home resort (BCV) TWICE. I have tried and tried, with multpile dates to be flexible, and have yet to be able to book another stay there. Although we all enjoy our second choice (BWV) it bugs us to no end that we've been blocked out of our "home".:mad:

lockedoutlogic
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
called for october at 9 am on the date of the 7 month window opening......

was put on the waitlist at Beach and Boardwalk....

still no word on any movement on the waitlist....which means people must have been waitlisted at their HOME resorts prior to the 7 month window....

that is an incredibly bad sign.....it could be possible that people are now bombarding their home resorts and simply aren't bothering to go somewhere else on the 7 month window.....

incredibly bad sign...

nls721
05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will just look into one at WDW even if it's a little more. That way if I am "stuck" staying at my home resort I'm fine with it. And, I need to be in the mindset, I will stay at my home resort but if I could get someplace else, it's like a surprise.

Ian
05-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I just tried to do a 7 month booking for November 30th to December 5th ... no dice. No 1BR's available anywhere.

Although to be fair that is arguably the most popular DVC week of the year.

mjstaceyuofm
05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
called for october at 9 am on the date of the 7 month window opening......

was put on the waitlist at Beach and Boardwalk....

still no word on any movement on the waitlist....which means people must have been waitlisted at their HOME resorts prior to the 7 month window....

that is an incredibly bad sign.....it could be possible that people are now bombarding their home resorts and simply aren't bothering to go somewhere else on the 7 month window.....

incredibly bad sign...

I just tried to do a 7 month booking for November 30th to December 5th ... no dice. No 1BR's available anywhere.

Although to be fair that is arguably the most popular DVC week of the year.You're right Ian - you have to throw that week out of the window with the various association meetings being held at that time.

Logic - those resorts don't have nearly the rooms that SSR and OKW have.

There's no doubt the dynamics of DVC have changed. When we bought way back in 96 our rep told us that people booked at about the 5-month mark. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Our general approach is to book at our home resort between the 11 and 7-month window and we haven't had any problems.

I personally think that when you want to go and where you want to stay has a huge impact on availability at the 7-month window. Off-peak or low seasons seem to be a time when many DVC members vacation. They fill up fast.

I don't think there's any "bad signs" here, just the reality that this program that Disney has put in place is incredibly popular. With increased popularity and increased usage, the dynamics of how things work will change and this is no different. Fortunately for us, we love to stay at OKW.

Tinkermom
05-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Although to be fair that is arguably the most popular DVC week of the year.

If you even THINK you MIGHT want to stay anytime Thanksgiving through Christmas then book at your home resort 11 months out. You can always try to switch resorts and get on a waitlist. At least this way you know you have a room.

We are staying at SSR 12/18-12/23. I actually forgot to book at my 11 month out mark by about 6 weeks. I was afraid we would not get in but we have a 2 bedroom.:D

Aurora
05-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Logic - those resorts don't have nearly the rooms that SSR and OKW have.

I'm also thinking they're probably booked solid at that time (with probably a long wait list) because they are walking distance to Epcot's International Gateway during the park's Food and Wine Fest.

lockedoutlogic
05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm also thinking they're probably booked solid at that time (with probably a long wait list) because they are walking distance to Epcot's International Gateway during the park's Food and Wine Fest.

I'm sure you are correct.....

but it is still a bad sign.....that you don't have the "freedom to go where you want" that we were all sold on when we bought....

Now of course....we all know that timing and demand are gonna affect alot.....but it is an alarming trend that instead of having a chance at all times....as was the case before the Saratoga explosion......you now have to "resign" yourselfs that you can't get certain places and/or times....

Everyone ok with that?

I thought so.....

And yes....i know all the numbers of units and rooms at every location on property and realize that SSR and OKW pack more of a whallop.....as will AKV when completed....

I think Saratoga was a big mistake....not on Disney's part...but on the consumers......it has added memberships to an uncomfortable level......and that coupled with it not being a prime, sought after location....makes it much more taxing on the system....

to be honest, i wish there were no Saratoga....and i wish i hadn't purchased there....

the only place where they should put 500 unit villas are in prime locations...such as the contemp....poly...or grand

Buy next year....let's see...let me do a little math:

there will be 2,541 units spread out over 6 locations (in WDW)....

by my count....we currently have 3 "more desired locations" - Beach, Boardwalk, and Wilderness.....totalling 724 units....or 28% of the overall inventory....

the three "less desirable" - Saratoga, OKW, and Animal Kindom.....totalling 1817....or the other 72% of the property....

now...you can have your own favorites and gripe at me for my labeling system...but remember this: Beach, Boardwalk, and Wilderness will always be gone before the other three....mark that down....it is a fact.

and that's not even taking into acount Vero and Hilton Head....where i'm willing to bet owners spend 80% or more of their points in the WDW locations....

Animal is showing good interest now....but when they have all the units open....the same things that have kept people away from the lodge will creep in.....you'll be able to book there.....maybe not as much as okw or ssr...but it will be there.....

So basically....the bigger you are....the less the people want it.....at least....that is how it's been in my 2 years at DVC.....

The Contemporary will shift some of this demand....but it is really only likely to move some people out of all the others on a 7 month window.....creating a net gain of zero on the strained locations as they now stand....

the point? vacation club will continue to expand.....and as they do.....the are likely to repeat the mistake of selling off memberships at another bulk rate location on the fringes such as Saratoga again....causing more of a logjam in the reservations.....

so i find myself considering what i would have never done just a year or two ago: selling my saratoga for a Beach Club resale and forgoeing years on the contract......

Maybe the most important thing for me was the freedom to move around amonst the DVC properties?.....that is severely limited in this economy....

and Disney...in my opinion....forgot "location! location! location!" and built small units in the better spots.....then built the monstrocity know as Saratoga during boom economy at the site of several hotel failures.....great move

AKL has been a bookings disappointment for disney as a whole....so they timeshare it up there as well....

the contemporary is the smartest move since Beach Club.....as far as desirability goes....

We can hope they continue along that path....

so to answere the original question: yes....7 month does matter.....at least until the rug is pulled on the economy and WDW takes the inevitable hit......then it won't matter so much

Aurora
05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Locked out: I get what you're saying. Your beef is that you were told during the pitch that you could stay at any DVC resort, which in practice hasn't been true for you because the most popular resorts (the best locations and the smallest) are effectively, no pun intended, "locked out" for you because of solid bookings by the 7-month window.

I agree that if Disney keeps selling DVC memberships, they need to make this clear to new buyers -- that even though staying at other DVC locations is included in the membership, some locations and time periods may be much less available than others.

People who don't have access to these kinds of discussion boards can be misled into believing that availability is not a problem at the above mentioned resorts. Unless DVC is very clear to new buyers on this point, I think your complaint will become more common as DVC grows.

lockedoutlogic
05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Locked out: I get what you're saying. Your beef is that you were told during the pitch that you could stay at any DVC resort, which in practice hasn't been true for you because the most popular resorts (the best locations and the smallest) are effectively, no pun intended, "locked out" for you because of solid bookings by the 7-month window.

I agree that if Disney keeps selling DVC memberships, they need to make this clear to new buyers -- that even though staying at other DVC locations is included in the membership, some locations and time periods may be much less available than others.

People who don't have access to these kinds of discussion boards can be misled into believing that availability is not a problem at the above mentioned resorts. Unless DVC is very clear to new buyers on this point, I think your complaint will become more common as DVC grows.
I wasn't "told" anything at a sales pitch...I knew the product frontwards and backwards already....

the sales pitch was basically a 10 minute conversation about my wife and my own work experience in WDW resorts....followed by a quick description of our wedding in EPCOT....we did more talking than the agent....who sold us nothing.
But the reality of the sales at SSR and AKV did hit me a little hard.....

prior to about 2005....you were almost guaranteed to get any location via waitlist....provided it wasn't during a small window of heavy dates....

now the waitlists aren't coming through as much and the list of "blacked out dates" has expanded at an alarming rate....

the point is that the flexibility of DVC is now limited by their sales.....and that is a key advantage to it....

personally....if i wanted to stay at the same place everytime....go to the same pools....eat at the same restaurant.....then a more traditional timeshare can accomodate that....

just stinks a little.....and i might be ahead of the curve a little....but somewhere down the line when some of the luster of their purchase has worn off.....alot of DVC owners will become very frustrated if they are bound to a single location.....wait and see

Maleficent's Dad
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
but it is still a bad sign.....that you don't have the "freedom to go where you want" that we were all sold on when we bought....

DVC continues to use this sale's pitch (I just saw it being used THIS WEEK), and that is PLAIN WRONG.

My neighbors own at SSR and wanted to join my family at the BW in August... To make a LONG story short, they were wait-listed at the seven month mark, and JUST THIS WEEK, their wait-list DID come through.

This seems to be the exception more than the rule, unfortunately. Everyone seems to be getting on that darned wait-list, hoping for the best.

VERY few owners seem to be forgoing their "prime" homes in search of one of the others. And YES, I absolutely agree with LockedoutLogic's assessment of "more desired locations" versus "less desireable" ones... It's not speculation, it's "factual."

mjstaceyuofm
05-04-2008, 10:52 PM
by my count....we currently have 3 "more desired locations" - Beach, Boardwalk, and Wilderness.....totalling 724 units....or 28% of the overall inventory....

the three "less desirable" - Saratoga, OKW, and Animal Kindom.....totalling 1817....or the other 72% of the property....

now...you can have your own favorites and gripe at me for my labeling system...but remember this: Beach, Boardwalk, and Wilderness will always be gone before the other three....mark that down....it is a fact.

and that's not even taking into acount Vero and Hilton Head....where i'm willing to bet owners spend 80% or more of their points in the WDW locations....

Animal is showing good interest now....but when they have all the units open....the same things that have kept people away from the lodge will creep in.....you'll be able to book there.....maybe not as much as okw or ssr...but it will be there.....

So basically....the bigger you are....the less the people want it.....at least....that is how it's been in my 2 years at DVC.....
Locked out: You are definitely true to your name - Logical!

What a fabulous post! Hope you don't mind - but I condensed your post to capture some points I wanted to reflect upon.

It's really unfortunate that you think SSR is not working out for you and you are considering selling it. For us, OKW will always be home and because it is so large and so spacious - we typically never have a problem finding a room there when we plan 7-10 months ahead of time.

I really do think that Vero and HHI were a bust -and so did Disney after a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see these sold in the future and Disney offer owners there a deal or ownership at some future WDW DVC resort. I think as DVC expands at WDW (and it will) that the system will find a leveling off point and more ownership interests will be spread to "higher end" resorts.

Tinkermom
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
I really do think that Vero and HHI were a bust -and so did Disney after a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see these sold in the future and Disney offer owners there a deal or ownership at some future WDW DVC resort. I think as DVC expands at WDW (and it will) that the system will find a leveling off point and more ownership interests will be spread to "higher end" resorts.

I have to disagree some with this. I cannot speak for HHI but we are Vero owners and I do not consider it a bust nor do I think Disney considers it a bust. It is almost always sold out when we go (summer). I think the people who enjoy the beach are the ones who visit these resorts. Vero is a beautiful resort with so much to do.

I get frustrated when people dis Vero (or HHI) because it is usually those folks who do NOT own at these resorts and/or have never been. I have talked with a lot of DVC members during our many stays at Vero. Most all of them are repeats. Many families make it a tradition to visit at the same time each year. There seems to be quite a Vero following if you will.

With DVC building the new Hawaii resort I think we will slowly see DVC expanding out from just the parks. I think it would be a mistake for DVC to focus all of their efforts on just WDW resorts. Even though we all love WDW it would be nice to visit other places knowing we were getting Disney quality both in ammenities and in service.

lockedoutlogic
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
For the record: I don't think Hilton Head or Vero are "busts"....

....but I do think that they increase demand at the WDW locations.....

I've stayed at Vero.....and at Hilton Head.....and i enjoyed both....

But I don't see the average owners spending most.....or even half....of their points at the Vero of HHI.....

they're going to WDW......

perhaps that will change if they expand out a little more....hawaii and DL is a good step.....the long awaited ski resort and a caribbean location will be a nice expansion as well....

but at it's heart.....it's a piece of Disney World.....that's what packs 'em in