PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Disney via I-75 and Kentucky Derby!!

jennsky
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I just heard that the Kentucky Derby is this Saturday, and that's the night I'm planning on spending the night in Kentucky on our drive down. Should I be freaking out that I haven't got a hotel room booked? How crazy is it gonna be around Lexington? We were thinking of spending the night about an hour north of there in Dry Ridge, Kentucky. I just know that when I went to a Nascar race in Watkins Glen, the closest we could find a hotel room was Ithaca, so is the Kentucky Derby that insane as well for hotel rooms/traffic???
:(

Buttercup
04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Ugh - yes Jenn. It's going to be insane. Honestly? I would try and avoid the Derby by about an hour in each direction. That's a major, major event for the state - think of the Daytona 500 and how it impacts the hotels in a lot of Florida.
I didn't even think of that when you were planning your drive down.
Is there any way you guys can make a longer haul that day and get into northern Tennessee? It just means you'll get to FLA sooner! :thumbsup:

momof3+twins
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I would spend the night somewhere else. I have tried to get last minute hotels during alot less big of a deal type of things (like rodeos) and could not get them. I would try to stay somewhere else and maybe get online and make reservations somewhere. It is usually cheaper to book ahead of time in my experience.
GOOD LUCK!!! And have fun.

Strmchsr
04-30-2008, 08:16 AM
The Kentucky Derby is in Louisville (about an hour west of Lexington). Having lived in Lexington 5 years, I never noticed a traffic problem on Derby Weekend. I-75 shouldn't be any more of a headache than it usually is, so don't worry. If you want an extra fun stop on the way down, be sure to check out the KY Horse Park. It's incredible. Right off of I-75 north of Lexington. The further south you go in Lexington the better, as anyone staying at a Lexington hotel will probably stay near the I-64 junction (the road that leads to Louisville). You can go on further south, but once you get too far south of Lexington your choices become extremely limited until you get to Knoxville, TN. Get on Priceline and you can probably still get a great deal on a room in Lexington. However, I would expect the prices the be pretty inflated if you just go for the rack rate.

chicklittlemom
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I-75 shouldn't be any more of a headache than it usually is, so don't worry.
Amen to that! Done this drive too many times to count.
I don't think you should find any problem in Dry Ridge. Or maybe even try a little further north in Florence/Richwood area (there's the mall and lots of shopping there). Also, as Strmchsr suggested, if you want to stop and see some beauty, check out the Ky Horse Farm. Beautiful country, beautiful animals.

I live in the Greater Cinti/Northern KY area (wave at me on the way down 75 :hi:= better yet: stop and take me with you !!:drive: I'll take a turn at the wheel!) Have a magical journey.....

Strmchsr
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Or maybe even try a little further north in Florence/Richwood area (there's the mall and lots of shopping there).

That's right. Just look for the "Florence Ya'll" sign and you'll know you're at the mall. :funny:

chicklittlemom
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
That's right. Just look for the "Florence Ya'll" sign and you'll know you're at the mall. :funny:

Yep, that's the one!!! :laughing: It's a big water tower by the mall (and of course there's a story there).

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I cannot speak about the Derby but I have one suggestion from experience. We have been through Atlanta on our way to the world 2 times when a nascar race was there. The travel time was ridiculous. Rooms could be found just going a little further south about 30 minutes ,but it took us 3 hours to go 9 miles on I-75. We could not use the bypass and go around because of a major wreck on the bypass. My point is give yourself extra time because you do not want to get to your motel at 2 a.m. with kids. Trust me I know!!!