PDA

View Full Version : Im getting scared...Sci-Fi

*NikkiJ*
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
So this being my 1st trip to WDW I have talked to lots of people about my ADRs, however the more I read stuff about Sci-Fi I am beginning to doubt my pick and am seriously thinking about changing...:(

People say the food stinks, the seating is tough, etc.

I know everyone says Sci-Fi is good a 1st timer, but I still want to have good food & being to have a nice family dinner (from what I have been reading the seating is difficult because of the rows in the cars).

Should I change from Sci-Fi to something else??

Any help would be nice...

MuchLovedMama
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I was there in 2000 & although I don't remember exactly what I ordered I know that we didn't dislike it. We remember the set-up being pretty neat & a nice environment which is why we are going back this September with my 5yo, 7yo & my parents. I think everybody should experience this unique TS at least once. It may not be the best but if we didn't like it I would've remembered that. Good luck whatever you choose.

Tygger7
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I know Sci Fi gets a bad rap, but we love it. In fact, every time I suggest skipping it to try something new, both by DH and DD nearly start crying. :mickey: The food isn't fancy, or gourmet, but has always been very good for us. The onion rings are my favorite. :cloud9:

As far as the seating, you can request one of the tables at the back if you don't think the cars will work for your family. We love the cars...it's like going to a drive in movie. I would say definitely give it a try and decide for yourself.

SBETigg
04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Don't be scared! It's a fun atmosphere. I would say that lunch is a better bet than dinner. Sandwiches, soups, salads, burgers, and snack/appetizer things seem to be safe bets here. I haven't done dinner at Sci-Fi, but the majority of food complaints seem to be based on dinner choices. And even then, not everyone hates it. People who dislike something tend to be more vocal about it. Will it be the best meal ever? Probably not. But it could be a lot of fun, and why not give it a try?

You can see the seating here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/mgm/scifi_dinner.asp): Two in front, two in back, for a family of four. I think they have larger cars for larger parties, or maybe larger parties have table seating.

Gregandmel
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I just made my ADR for Sci-Fi for lunch. We've never been, and although I"ve read the same things you have, we are still going. I think the atmosphere is going to be very unique and our 2 boys will love it. We'll stick with sandwiches and onion rings and I think we'll be fine. Again - we are 1st timers, so I"m not too worried. I

Hayden's Dad
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Sci Fi is a must do for us!! We love the atmosphere, and we have always liked our food.
The cars are set up as three rows of two seats. Or they have cars in the back that have tables attatched to them and they have tables designed like round picinc tables it one of theses sounds better then request one of those. We really enjoy going here and I am sure you will too.

Have Fun!!:mickey:

Jasper
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
One of the things you have to remember is that the virtual world of the internet is just like the real world in that no person likes to be the odd person out. What I mean is that if I log into a thread and see that there are 15 negative comments about Sci-Fi and no positive then I am likely not to say anything for fear of looking like I don't know what I am talking about.

You also have to remember that people's impressions of restaurants is just like movies, everyone has an opinion and all of them are a little different.

For these two reasons I always say that if something interests you then you should give it a try. Of course, don't forget that your own notions going in can VERY definitely color your opinion so do your very best to keep an open mind and believe that you are going to like it until the actual situation on the proves you wrong. If you go into a situation with an open mind you are far more likely to have a positive experience than if you go in expecting it to be bad.

elmjimmlm
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
We loved it...Sci Fi is an experience...The food was good and the atmosphere made it a great meal...I think that you should give it a try...:thumbsup:

goofynmd
04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I thought it was very cool. My 2 yr old DS liked "sitting in a car" and watching "movies" while eating. The food was good. I highly recommend the Oreo cookie milkshake, BLT soup and Spinach and Artichoke dip.

Yes it was a little strange having my DH sit behind me, but it added to the charm. I would recommend browsing the menu ahead of time and if you like what you see, go for it!

Gator
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Compared to most other TS restaraunts, it has a rather plain menu. That being said, the burgers, fries, and shakes are great. And the atmostphere is really cool.

BluewaterBrad
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
We went for lunch a few years back and had a blast! The food was very good,our CM was a lot of fun, and overall atmosphere was really cool. Keep it!:mickey:

Magic Smiles
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
We ate there in 2006 and all loved our food. I had salmon maybe (it was definitely fish, but don't remember what kind of fish), DS a burger and don't remember what DH had. As we did not have a reservation we were seated at the picnic tables at the back which was perfect for us being 3. My only complaint was that it was almost a million degrees outside and very cold inside. Really needed a sweater in there. I would keep your reservation and give it a try.

HndrdPrcnt
04-29-2008, 04:56 PM
We have not been here as of yet, but the only reason for us is that during our meals, we like to have a conversation with our family to talk about what we have all done that day and what we have enjoyed the most, etc. So, for us, this restaurant just doesn't work. However, we will probably give it a try at some point in our Disney trips. I can honestly say, however, that Sci-Fi did not make it on to our ressies list for our upcoming Sept trip. There are simply too many other places that we want to return to or try for the first time!! So many places to eat, so little time.:mickey:

cal5755
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
We are excited to try this despite seeing some bad reviews. Everyone likes different things and our motto is try it at least once!!

#1disneyfan
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I too, think they get a bad rap. We visit almost everytime we visit WDW. We like the atmosphere and the seating arrangements, we think its fun. While the food is by no means gourmet, it has always been tasty and satisfying. IMO, I would go for it. You will have a great time and kids get a kick out of the old time drive in motif.

Jared
04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm not afraid to stick out. I think the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater stinks, and I would never recommend it, especially to a group larger than three people. My family of five could not have a legitimate conversation because of the seating arrangement. Somebody was always craning his neck to turn around and face the back of the row.

That could be forgiven in exchange for a good meal, but the food is truly terrible. I wouldn't dare try anything but an order of onion rings and a milkshake. Maybe the cheeseburgers are safe.

There are so many great restaurants to waste a precious dinner at a mediocre place. Honestly, there are at least three better table service restaurants at Disney's Hollywood Studios alone.

:tasty:

barnaby
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
We too read that the Sci-Fi food was bad.
We just ate there in March. The food was fine, and the car seating and big screen made it enjoyable.
I plan on going back next trip.

Jasper
04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Something I failed to mention in my previous post is that we have always found the quality of the food to be very good. I think there are two primary reasons it gets a bad rap and the first is the seating and the second are the menu options. However, I think that in keeping with the theme of the restaurant both the seating and the food choices are appropriate for the theme. Yes it is different than what you will experience elsewhere but that is what makes it fun!

biodtl
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
We love it - especially the kids. The atmosphere is fantastic - it's something you should try at least once. The kids love sitting in the cars and watching the movie clips.

I think it gets a bad rap because it's just your basic TGIFriday's type fare - nothing fancy or particularly different. That said, we enjoy it and plan to go back.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
We went on our Honeymoon in 2003 and LOVED it there. Hubby is a sci fi NUT! We went last September with 2 kids (then 7months and 3 years) and we just had a hard time with the seating arrangements... But my cousin, his wife and their 2 boys ages 7 &9 LOVED it. I think it is just easier if your kids are a little older and can sit in the seats by themselves and just be amused with the movies and the scenery. We will definately go back someday... We love burgers, artichoke dip, onion rings, milkshakes... (And hey the "glow in the dark blue Mama Drink" as my DD referred to it was REALLY good after a long day at the parks. )... We just need the girls to get a little older so it is easier to eat without facing each other.

Give it a try... If you are very nervous.. go for lunch... it wont be as much $$ and you can get an idea if you ever want to go back.

mkymouse0206
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
My ds is dying to eat at the Sci-Fi on our upcoming trip also. I am in the same boat you are not knowing what to believe or not. :confused: I understand everyone has different opinions of where they like to eat, and the Sci-Fi seems to be a love it or hate it. I have decided that I can't risk losing a table service when I am so unsure. The compromise...I have promised we will stop in for milkshakes. This seemed to satisfy him, he gets to experience the whole eating in cars thing and I don't lose a table service and we all get to enjoy a nice break in the middle of the day. So far the milkshakes are one food everyone agrees on being good.:mickey:

Natazu
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Should I change from Sci-Fi to something else??
Yes and no. The food doesn't live up to the amount of money they charge. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Like John said, sitting in a car makes it difficult to converse and the little tables are, well, little.
If you go for the atmosphere, that's fine, just don't expect great food.

One of the things you have to remember is that the virtual world of the internet is just like the real world in that no person likes to be the odd person out. What I mean is that if I log into a thread and see that there are 15 negative comments about Sci-Fi and no positive then I am likely not to say anything for fear of looking like I don't know what I am talking about.
S'ok Jasper, I'll take the heat. Everyone already knows I don't know what I'm talking about at least half the time.

momof3+twins
04-30-2008, 08:34 AM
GO! It is a really neat place. The food isn't as bad as everyone says. I don't know why it has such a bad rap. And the cars are fun.
Just make sure to go to Crystal Palace or Chef Mickeys to get the family sitting around a table together feel. And you will be happy.

castlelady36
04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
We have been there a few times and yes the food is not great but my kids love being in the car with the light up ice cubes in their cup and watching the cheesy movies on the screen. I think it is all in what you make of it...if you go thinking you may not like it...you won't..if you go thinking hey this is new and lets try to have fun and have a good experience.. you will...

prprincess
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
GO! It is a really neat place. The food isn't as bad as everyone says. I don't know why it has such a bad rap. And the cars are fun.I totally agrew with this poster. My family and I ate lunch there this past Wednesday, and had no issues whatsoever. I do think that the menu is limited, but I've also never felt that the food was horrible and I LOVE the atmosphere.

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
My best advice is try it once and if you don't like it you don't ever have to try it again. We've stayed cleared of some restaurants because of stuff we've read but, we've decided they only way to know for sure how it is is to give it a try. My sister-n-law tried it last yr and they loved it they also love 50's primetime and we hated 50's. We may even try SciFi this yr not sure yet.

KylesMom
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
We've only eaten at the Sci-Fi for lunch, but we have always enjoyed our meal there (LOVE the onion rings). It continues to be a repeat ADR for our family. If you review the menu & can't find something for everyone, then skip it. Otherwise, give it a try! Just like all restaurant reviews on the boards, everyone has their own opinion of what is "good" and what is "lousy". The only way to determine where you fit is to try it! :mickey:

chicklittlemom
04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
I was in the same position as you on our last trip. I had read so many negative posts that I was going to change our ressies. We hung on to it, though, and really glad we did! This is one of the two places the DH said I have to make ressies for again this trip (to the point he said he's not going unless we eat at SciFi!) My DH and kids are picky eaters and they ate so well. I loved the spinach and artichoke dip!

IMHO, I would at least try it. You never know, it could turn out to be a favorite!!:magic:

kathiep
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Go.

The atmosphere is definately fun and unique. We went on our last trip and I probably wouldn't go back but am glad I've had the experience. This was the one meal I paid for OOP and I thought it was overly expensive for not only what we ordered but also for food that was only OK.

I always try to take negative feedback about something and just use it so I don't have overly high expectations and end up disappointed.

But I really feel you should still give everything a try.

IamBelle
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
We went last trip and all 6 of us LOVED IT! The food was very tasty and they gave huge portions! The desserts themselves are worth going there!

garymacd
04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
...I always say that if something interests you then you should give it a try...

Absolutely! If you think it is going to neat and fun, go for it. Everyone should try something new and different sometime during their lives.

Except fish. yuck.

Mnchknbrat1982
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
my fiance and I ate here in September 07. If you are looking for a real nice dressy place this is not it. But if you are looking for a fun atmosphere then this is the place. Just remember that if you don't see something on the menu that you want you can always just order the burger even if its not on the menu. That is what I did when we went. It was good food. Really cool atmosphere. I will return again!

RAIDER
05-01-2008, 04:37 AM
I have always found the SCI FI a breath of fresh air restaurant wise ..It so unique ,not only in its seating but its atmosphere .... If you have a family and you want to chatter then yes sitting in the cars is not for you ..But from other posts they quite rightly say that you can have a table .

The food is average but its not awful however the milkshakes are to die for :cloud9:

Give it a go and make your own mind up i am sure the kids will love it :thumbsup:

Flower
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
We love the SciFi and I think we even at there twice this past trip!

If you are concerned about the car-style seating, ASK FOR ONE OF THE REGULAR TABLES AT THE BACK!!!! This way you can still have a conversation if you are that concerned.

lightyearfan
05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
no need to worry, go and have a great time with your family. me and dw have eaten at the Sci-Fi 3 times now and all 3 times it was really good, and our service was the best that we ever got at any WDW resturant. i'm not just saying this, because i'm the type of person that if i don't like what i'm eating i'll never go back a good example of that would be Mamma Melrose, we ate there and the food was soooo bad that we would never eat there again.

Victor

NJGIRL
05-01-2008, 11:49 AM
We like the Sci Fi food and have no trouble with the seating.

ellematt
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
We went there a couple years ago, and it was fun. I had read alot of negative comments about the food, so we went in as a "hot part of the day" break for some shakes and sundaes. The ice cream was great, it was nice and cool inside, and our boys (then 8 & 11) LOVED sitting in the "old fashioned" cars watching the movies! The food that others were eating nearby (burgers, etc..) looked good, but we didn't eat lunch so I can't comment on the quality. Go for the fun of it!

Tigerinvestigator
05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
You will have enough fun that you won't care what the food tastes like. I don't think the food is bad at all, kinda like a higher priced counter service restaurant with great theming!:thumbsup: I have a family of five and have never had a problem with the seating.

Ayndi
05-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Another vote for the Sci-Fi. We love it!

Cookie123
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I have always loved the Sci-Fi, and I have absolutely never had a bad meal there. I have eaten lunch and dinner at least once, sometimes twice, on every annual vacation for the last 10 years. It has always been wonderful.

Yes - it probably would be difficult to converse a lot. But when you really think about it - you will be on vacation ...together
You will be conversing a great part of the day, anyway. It probably would not hurt to have one meal that you don't converse as much as usual.
You might even find it unusually relaxing.

It is a "must-do" for every vacation for me.

hyper71
05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I am worried about my meal choices also. We have made reservations at Sci-Fi and Hollywood & Vine. We also are planning to eat at Boma. I have read alot of bad reviews on these places. :confused: I am just about ready to cancel all my reservations and take our lunches or eat in the room. :goodbad:

biodtl
05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I am worried about my meal choices also. We have made reservations at Sci-Fi and Hollywood & Vine. We also are planning to eat at Boma. I have read alot of bad reviews on these places. I am just about ready to cancel all my reservations and take our lunches or eat in the room.
Don't cancel everything. Remember that these are just opinions. And for everyone who has a good one, someone else has a bad one.

I've never done H&V, but I had a very good meal at Sci-Fi and Boma is my favorite WDW eatery EVER.

Think about your own favorite restaurant at home. I bet if you asked a bunch of people what they think of it, you'd find some that love it, some that say "eh" and some that absolutely despise it. But if it's your favorite, you wouldn't let it stop you from going back.

I'm not saying I'm right about these places and others are wrong, but you never know what your opinion will be until you try it. If you cancel and eat in the room, at the very least, you will miss out on some great theming and atmosphere and some fun meals. I say go and try these places - you may end up with a new favorite.

kmo84
05-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I am really surprised to see so many positive reviews for Sci-Fi here. I rarely see those.

I have eaten there a few times. Sometimes the food was less than great, but not so bad to keep us away.

The atmosphere is very cool. My kids love it there.
It is definately worth trying! Everyone has different tastes.

SandmanGStefani24
05-04-2008, 07:12 PM
we loved sci-fi also! we did get stuck in a backseat of a car, which was cramped for me, who stands at a massive 5'7". anyone else wouldn't be able to sit there. aside from that minor issue the food was great. it may not be on the level of Emeril's or Gordon Ramsay's, but it's good drive-in/table service food. plus the scenery is really cool IMO. you'll love it.

bmj721
05-04-2008, 09:22 PM
The Sci-Fi is one of the family's fav's. I prefer the lunch menu over dinner. However, the 50's movie clips make the whole meal. The first time I saw them my sides ached from laughing. I hadn't seen those movies since I was small. My younger son is totally enthralled with this restaurant and it is now a mandatory part of each trip. Since family member chooses one special place for an ADR, Sci-Fi is his.
:thumbsup:

lynnrapata
05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Sci Fi was the one restaurant my family was not totally jazzed about. It was very cold in there and we didn't even get to sit in the car tables due to too many ADR's -- but I was grateful we didn't sit in them -- it would have made it harder to eat and talk. The food choices were not plentiful -- but what we did order was very good. We are going back in October and I didn't make plans to go back to this restaurant.

thejens
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I think your choices are great. Hollywood and Vine offers a lot of great choices. Now, the Brown Derby is better, but I like both. Boma is my favorite. Even conservative diners would like the prime rib and other "safe" choices. The Sci Fi is not so much "a nice family dinner" as a fun and unique experience. I find the food mediocre, yet I go every time. My kids LOVE it. Stick to shakes and sandwiches and it's fine. If you really want a nice dinner with family conversation choose a more conventional choice. But if you are up for fun and a laugh, Sci Fi is enjoyable. Just my opinions!

Kidsmom
05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
When we go to Disney we are together 24/7 for a week or more. This restaurant is a little break.

This restaurant allows the kids to feel like the are eating alone and mom and dad eating alone. (the girls in a row, the boys in a row and mom and dad in the back threatening to "make out"...eeewww!)

Also....it is the quietest restaurant in WDW....the kids are watching the movie. It is cool, I always bring sweatshirts for the kids.

We love the ribs and usually get three orders and share (along with a bunch a sides and other things) They also have decent wine!

If you want a Family Dinner, this is not the place. Those round table in the back are very small unless it is 2 adults and a little one.

This is a nice break from the hectic pace of WDW and keeping the kids happy. We also do this as a comprise as we don't do Character Dinners, but the kids go to at least 2 or 3 signature restaurants with us.

crltkcagle
05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
We are going to try it. I too have heard bad things about it, but I think the kids will enjoy the atmosphere.

Wrigley
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
We absolutely love Sci-Fi. It is now a must-do for us on every trip. The atmosphere is very fun, and the food isn't bad either. We love the milkshakes and burgers!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-06-2008, 10:29 PM
We're trying Sci-Fi this trip, DH has wanted to go for a while, and since we have the Deluxe Dining Plan, we're giving it a try for lunch.

I'm glad to hear some good reviews, but I think a lot has to do with expectations. I'm not thinking this is going to be fancy, but more for the atmosphere, and that can be good enough too!

Tink#64
05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Sci Fi is a must do for us every trip! We love it! We have eaten lunch there every trip! WE just made a very last minute trip, very low budget (at least for us at WDW!) during Spring Break & I gave DS's their choice for one meal & they both exclaimed "SCI FI". It's not gourmet food, but we've always enjoyed it and the atmosphere is so fun & totally unique. So it largely depends on what you are looking for. If it's something fun & Disney, this should be a hit. If you are looking for more upscale or fine dining, you should look elsewhere rather than spend your time & money & be disappointed. My DS's are now 10 & 12, & have been enjoying since they were 4 & 6. I hope this helps. :mickey:

rnin02
05-07-2008, 01:29 AM
We ate there last year and enjoyed it. I can't remember what we had though:( We did sit at a regular table in the back, which was pretty comfortable, I'm not sure how comfortable a car table would be. Oh, and to the other person who posted about Hollywood and Vine, we liked that and we love, love Boma! Its fanatastic, so much variety, our service was great, and you get the bonus of walking around AKL before and after.

dizneynut
05-07-2008, 08:39 AM
We like the Sci-Fi! We try to fit it in each time we are in WDW. The seating is fun! We have been seated in the cars and we have been seated at the picnic tables. We prefer the cars.

We (DH, DD18, DD15, and myself of course) have an ADR for this July. I cannot wait!

The old movie clips are neat and the cast interaction has been great fun.

We have not had any problems with the food. We usually have lunch so I cannot speak for dinner.

You should try it, as the others have mentioned.

The atmosphere alone is worth the time.

Have fun!
Gail

boobalk
05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
The food @ the Sci-Fi is just regular food. Burgers, dogs, fries, o-rings, etc...The cool thing is the setting. Drive-in @ night, outdoors in a 6-seater "car", w/the cheesiest old-timey horror movies/advertisments on the screen. We liked it and the kids thought is was pretty cool. Would do it again!:thumbsup:

Jared
05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I am worried about my meal choices also. We have made reservations at Sci-Fi and Hollywood & Vine. We also are planning to eat at Boma. I have read alot of bad reviews on these places. :confused: I am just about ready to cancel all my reservations and take our lunches or eat in the room. :goodbad:
Do not cancel everything, even though I would never recommend the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. For a standard buffet, the food at Hollywood & Vine is actually pretty good. We went there using the Fantasmic! Dinner Package and was pleasantly surprised with the fare, especially the dessert bar with soft-serve ice cream. Boma - Flavors of Africa is one of the best restaurants in Disney. Do not skip this meal. Everything is absolutely delicious.

Here we go again...
05-08-2008, 02:53 AM
I think everyone should go at least once and decided for themselves.

I can't tell you how many times I canceled reservations because someone said the food was bad or made reservations somewhere because someone said the food was wonderful... only to realize I do not like what everyone else likes.
(I am from Louisiana... we eat almost anything)

I likes Sci fi and LOVED Boma. Not every thing at Boma... some of the stuff people rave about are not for me - Zebra Domes being one of them. But I did find lots of great food there.

We all have different tastes. Try it for yourself. If you do not like it THEN put it on your "do not do" list.

Charlee
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I had the same worry as I made an ADR for Sci-Fi for dinner (which everyone says is worse) because I thought the menu looked good - its not fancy but looks like there is a few good options but we chose it mainly because of the atmosphere.

Me and my dad are big sci-fi fans and love the old 1950s black and white B-movies! I thought this was a perfect ADR for us so I'm sticking to it and we'll make our own minds up!

Though it is nice to see so many positive experiences on this post when it always tends to be so negative!

RALPH
05-18-2008, 07:32 AM
We went there years ago when DS was younger just so we could try it out. The experience is neat. I am a Sci Fi buff since childhood. I loved those movies that used to make me hide under the covers.

The food was just OK, but we were not there for fine dining. We have not returned, not because of anything bad; but we have so much we want to see. We don't want to waste time eating here compared with a quick CS.

I think it is a must do at least once, then decide for yourself. As a comparison, I would say the food is similar to Cosmic Ray's in MK, with a little fancier stuff on the menu. Just my thoughts.

smartinez1
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I have probably eaten here at least 5 times, and really have nothing to complain about! The atmosphere is really why you eat here, and the food is good as well! Last time I had the grilled Chicken sandwich and onion rings, it was great! I certainly agree that it should be visited at least once in your life. It is just such a neat concept! Anyway, the food certainly compares to a lot of other counter service places in the parks. We have only gone for lunch, and it was all sandwiches, apps, and soups/salads on the menu, but everything was great! I would say try it at least once!

joonyer
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
1) The atmosphere is really cool, so go at least once for that reason.
2) Stick to burgers and sandwiches, onion rings and milkshakes and you will be pleased with the food quality. We have always had excellent food when ordering these items. I think the onion rings and shakes are fabulous.
3) We avoid the "dinner" entree items when ordering. The one time we ate there for dinner and tried some of them, the food wasn't so good. We've been back for lunch since ordering the "lunch" items and have had no problems.
4) The service just like at any WDW restaurant, can be hit & miss, especially when the place is jam packed. Just chill and don't be in a hurry or have unrealistic expectations (Sci-Fi is not a four-star signature dining experience like Artist point, Cali-grill or V&A). We've only had poor service there one time out of our five visits and the manager was very apologetic (I think it was a brand new employee) and he gave us free desserts.

Giselle
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
the food is not great, but its not awful, think planet hollywood , the atmosphere is fun though and as far as HS goes its one of the better ones. I wouldnt cancel - its worth trying a new experience.

avantgardeinker
05-22-2008, 09:58 AM
The reason you're seated in rows is so you can see the movie screen in the front of the restaurant and have the feel of sitting in a drive in movie. There are a few cars that you can sit across from each other, but then you have to turn your head to see the screen. We went in '05 and we loved it. The food was good and the service was the best we've ever had in The World. Our CM was wonderfull. He had a great sense of humor, but wasn't over the top. We really enjoyed it and are probably going back on our next trip in '09.

:mickey:

pluto 77
05-22-2008, 10:02 AM
We just ate at Sci Fi on the first day of our trip, and it was really good. The food had no problems at all and i am usually a very picky eater. The only thing i can say is the service was a little slow, but we just watched the film clips and the time flew by.

lighteningqueen
05-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Just my 5 cents worth here. We ate there in Dec for lunch and paid out of pocket insted of using our TS meal. We or 3 of us ordered the Angus burgers and they were really good,I would suggest to save your burger meal for that restaurant. My daughter had the Turkey sandwich and said she has had better and was not worth the money. We really enjoyed the atmosphere there. Onion rings were good but only got 4 for the money... I did notice that a guy seated next to us was a little on the pooh side and he really was uncomfortable looking in the cars. But there are cars with a table in the middle of them and it looked more comfortable to talk to each other in. I would not do Dinner there for sure as there isnt anything I would eat. Picky eater here. I have to say though that I would give it a try for dinner. Anything other than San Angel and Boma.. I or we just couldn't stomach that food. It is not like anything you have every eaten. So I say try it. We each have different taste...

MickeyMousse
05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
We have never had a bad meal at Sci Fi. Of course, it's all about the atmosphere and we've never gotten anything more than burgers, sandwiches, onion rings and milk shakes. If I want a steak, I'd go to a steakhouse not Sci Fi.

Stick with the basics, sit back and enjoy the atmosphere and have a great time! :thumbsup:

RALPH
05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
We tried it years ago for lunch when DS was about 8 or 9. It was a neat experience. The food was OK, not something to rave about. But I was not looking for fine dining, just a nice lunch. I got that. We have not been back, because we usully eat somewhere else that does not take as much time.

If your concerned about having a bad dinner, change your ADR to a lunch , and find something less doubtfull for a nice family dinner.