PDA

View Full Version : New luggage Policy for NWA

Magic Smiles
04-28-2008, 07:21 PM
We leave on Friday May 2nd and I just happened upon a comment about the luggage policy for NWA. Seems the policy will change while we are in WDW. We purchased our airline ticket 16 Apr 08 so now when we depart for our trip we will be allowed 2 suitcases each weighing up to 50 lbs each, but on our return trip we will only be allowed 1 suitcase each weighing up to 50 lbs each. You will now have to pay an extra $25.00 each for the additional bags.
I have to say this is going to cramp my packing style. Overweight luggage fee has gone from $20.00 in Dec to $50.00 after May 5, 2008. I know that I will have extra luggage so I am now at least prepared for the fact that I will be paying upon our return trip.
Just another sign of the times to come for travellers.

TheRustyScupper
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
. . . so I am now at least prepared for the fact that I will be paying upon our return trip . . .

1) Or, pack less.
2) One carry-on and one-checked per passenger should last for WDW.

Nini
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Personally I don't like to do laundry while on vacation, so one checked bag per person is not enough for us.

As far as I know this hasn't hit Jetblue yet, but if it does we'll be paying the extra!

Denise :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
As far as I know this hasn't hit Jetblue yet, but if it does we'll be paying the extra!

JetBlue has announced a new checked baggage policy that will take effect June 1, 2008.

This new policy applies to customers traveling on/after June 1, 2008. Customers may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $20 USD fee ($40 USD round-trip). Subsequent bags will be assessed at $50 USD per bag. The fees may be higher depending on weight and dimensions of each baggage.

Nini
04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh well, guess we'll be paying it!

Denise :mickey:

Magic Smiles
04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
1) Or, pack less.
2) One carry-on and one-checked per passenger should last for WDW.

1) Do WHAT???

2) My carry-on is pretty much filled with cameras/ video equipment. We use a normal carry-on, not a suitcase that many people use. The airline is suppose to be enforcing what is being carried onto the plane also.

I could actually get everything into one suitcase, but then it would be over the 50 lbs and it will now cost more for an overweight suitcase than an extra suitcase.

TheRustyScupper
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I could actually get everything into one suitcase, but then it would be over the 50 lbs and it will now cost more for an overweight suitcase than an extra suitcase.

1) A major Catch-22.
2) Pack less or pay more.

Patti
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Spirit has been charging for the first piece of checked luggage since last June.

chick20679
05-01-2008, 07:42 AM
50 pounds is ALOT of stuff.

Keep in mind this is PER PASSENGER.
If you have Mom :bride:, Dad :groom:, little Joe :cowboy: & little Jill :cowgirl:, you can check 4 bags weighing 50 pounds each.

That's 200 pounds worth of stuff.
Not counting your carry-ons.

I would think that should suffice. Particularly for a one week vacation.

CanadianWDWFan
05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
We are flying to DLR in July and bought our tickets on Air Canada in February. A couple of weeks ago they announced a $25 fee for a second bag. What they have done is posted on their website, that tickets purchased before a certain date will be exempt from the $25 second bag fee. All tickets purchased after this date will be charged for a second bag. I plan on printing this page out and taking it with us just in case.

You might want to search NWA release and see if there is anything saying about tickets purchased before this was announced.

offwego
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
50 lbs can get used up in a hurry..my Dh has an aversion to carry on (which he is about to get over in a hurry apparently). By the time you include shoes (and DH wears a 12 & DS a 10 mens so those are not lighweight) and of course sweaters & denim for the December month where most of our trips take place and the suitcases empty weight it's not hard to get there trust me!

We have almost every time but normally only have 4 bags for the 3 of us so I guess with a couple of carry on's we will be fine. It seems like just a way to increase fares without really increasing them to me.

Nascfan
05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
You might want to search NWA release and see if there is anything saying about tickets purchased before this was announced.

There is Brian. If a ticket was purchased before March 30th for NWA, the passengers are exempt from the extra fee. Since Magic Smiles purchased in April, they're out of luck.

We've printed the page that states the "price break" dates also, and we'll be taking it right to the counter with us....in 43 days! :mickey:

Natalie, it's exactly what you stated. The airlines are going to recoop rising fuel costs any way they can. This is just one of them.

TheRustyScupper
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
. . . Natalie, it's exactly what you stated. The airlines are going to recoop rising fuel costs any way they can. This is just one of them . . .

1) I do not have a problem with this.
2) They are in business.
3) A business should be able to recoup actual costs.
4) If not, the result is bankruptcy.
5) Look for ticket prices to increase across the board.
6) It is fair and just.

NOTE. In the US, we have had el cheapo airfare for a long time. Probably longer than we should have. It is about time for ticket prices to increase. Business is business. We may not like it, but as a businessman, I can understand it and see it coming.

Nascfan
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
1) I do not have a problem with this.

FYI, I never said I did either. It's just that Natalie is right, it's raising fees without actually raising ticket prices. With the exponential jumps in fuel costs, they have to raise fees somewhere, somehow, or they'll be out of business, like you said.

It's another reason to book as early as possible, a traveler can hedge themselves against increases that way, once they're locked in and paid. I, for one, am glad we booked early, we get free luggage this way. :thumbsup:

Magic Smiles
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
50 pounds is ALOT of stuff.

Keep in mind this is PER PASSENGER.
If you have Mom :bride:, Dad :groom:, little Joe :cowboy: & little Jill :cowgirl:, you can check 4 bags weighing 50 pounds each.

That's 200 pounds worth of stuff.
Not counting your carry-ons.

I would think that should suffice. Particularly for a one week vacation.

Think again! There are only 3 of us (no littles) and we are going for 13 days, so that is only 150 lbs.

I did and this is where I found out that we would have to pay on our return trip. This was a last minute trip. Only started planning it Mid Apr 08 and we leave in a few hours.

50 lbs can get used up in a hurry..my Dh has an aversion to carry on (which he is about to get over in a hurry apparently). By the time you include shoes (and DH wears a 12 & DS a 10 mens so those are not lighweight) and of course sweaters & denim for the December month where most of our trips take place and the suitcases empty weight it's not hard to get there trust me!

We have almost every time but normally only have 4 bags for the 3 of us so I guess with a couple of carry on's we will be fine. It seems like just a way to increase fares without really increasing them to me.

My DH also has an aversion to carry on. His words were "I have my backpack and that is all that I am carrying!"

Well we are all packed and have 5 partially filled bags. Have to allow lots of room for shopping. It is now cheaper to pay for an extra bag than for extra pounds. 7 hours to take off!

myhappyplace
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
American Airlines has done the same.
"Customers who purchase tickets on or after May 12, 2008 for the lowest domestic economy fares, may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."
I purchased mine in November so I am good, this time anyway. I can travel light if needed, I don't want anything to keep me from My Happy Place. I will make whatever sacrifice i have to so I can get there. :mickey: