PDA

View Full Version : How are the love bugs at this time?

snerd475
04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
September, they were ridiculous, but none in Dec or Jan.

We're coming up from Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, May 2.

How thick are they? Should I Pam my car?

TIA

Jeani

Ed
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I just saw the first few around here yesterday. Hopefully they won't be as bad as last year! I drove down to Miami in early May last year, and they were thick enough on the front of the truck that we had to pressure wash it - - twice - - after we got back.

Doesn't "love bug" seem a little oxymoronic considering how much people hate them ? :mad:

tadshome
04-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I have heard the name "love bugs" on Intercot but I do not know what they are, what are they and when do you get to see them?

snerd475
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I just saw the first few around here yesterday. Hopefully they won't be as bad as last year! I drove down to Miami in early May last year, and they were thick enough on the front of the truck that we had to pressure wash it - - twice - - after we got back.

Doesn't "love bug" seem a little oxymoronic considering how much people hate them ? :mad:

Ah, thanks! They were ridiculous in Sept. I'd never seen them that thick! My car was a mess, too. They were just landing on people at the parks, freaking those out who aren't familiar with the harmless little buggers.

I have heard the name "love bugs" on Intercot but I do not know what they are, what are they and when do you get to see them?

They are small black flying insects that are so named because they fly around in pairs, "engaged", if you catch my drift! (This is a family site, so I won't be too graphic.)

They get so thick at some times of the year, they just get caked on the front of your car.:mad:

brertosh
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
I Hate bugs!! Unless of course they are Flik or Dot or Jiminy Cricket or...... You get my drift, bugs and there little creepy legs and wings and eyes....disgusting!

wkanack
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi all, these little stinkers come out twice a year. Spring and Fall, they just started coming out this week in some numbers. I'd expect them too peak within two or three weeks and this should end the spring invasion. They tend to stick around longer for the fall invasion.

Yes, they are harmless to humans, just annoying. They come out of the ground to fulfill there last act, reproduction in flight. This is why they are called love bugs. When they splat on your windshield it's usually two of them coupled together. There little corpses are tough on the finish of your car however, so wash them off with in a day or so.

Good luck, Bill

MsMin
04-28-2008, 11:08 PM
We saw several when we were down there a couple weeks ago and they are getting bad around the house. So those traveling on I-10 should be running into swarms of them now:( I would definitely take some precautions w/ the hood of my car!

tadshome
04-29-2008, 02:48 AM
They sound awful, I hate flying insects:sad: Am I likely to have to deal with them on my next visit? I will be there late Mid August through to 4th September :(

Beast_fanatic
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
They sound awful, I hate flying insects:sad: Am I likely to have to deal with them on my next visit? I will be there late Mid August through to 4th September :(

It's possible that you'll see some. They are usually out the most in May and September, but the seasons do vary a bit (they were still around in mid-October when I went last year). It may still be too hot for them when you go though, so keep your fingers crossed that you miss them.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-29-2008, 05:56 PM
We were at the world last September (13-20th) and never saw them. We're going back this September and hope we get lucky again.

snerd475
04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
We saw several when we were down there a couple weeks ago and they are getting bad around the house. So those traveling on I-10 should be running into swarms of them now:( I would definitely take some precautions w/ the hood of my car!

Already got my can of Dollar Tree non-stick cooking spray!

We were at the world last September (13-20th) and never saw them. We're going back this September and hope we get lucky again.
You must've just missed them, as we were there Sept 25-28. Good luck!