PDA

View Full Version : MTV / ANTM Network

Jeff
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Not that I would watch MTV videos anymore, but when I was in my 20's and MTV began I would have it on all day long. What happened to the premise of a TV channel that played music videos all day???????

MTV now plays "America's Next Top Model" for days on end, hour after hour. Of course, I do suppose it's better than the trash TV they were showing after first loosing their focus.

My point is, since MTV has lost all semblance of any relation to music and videos, why don't they just pull the plug and let the channel die???????? Do we really need an "ANTM" network? Do the program directors at MTV actually get paid to do this job? I can see the meeting now;
Suit #1 - What should we show this week?
Suit #2 - How about another ANTM marathon?
All Suits around table - "Great idea. Let's do that".

princessjojo
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I've wondered this for quite some time. Just as yourself, I can remember when MTV was first introduced and it was nonstop music. It was great. Now, you can't buy a music video.

Oh, wait! You can turn it on at something like 4am and watch music videos for about 2-3 hours.

NotaGeek
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
MTV is a huge money making machine, and thus it stays around, and it's geared to the new brand of kids, which means that some of the people that saw the 1st videos on the network have grown out of their present teenage and early 20's demographic.

Most cable companies offer multiple MTV/VH1 channels and some of them do still show videos.

2Epcot
04-28-2008, 08:56 PM
MTV has shifted its programming over the years the same as the Disney Channel. If you have digital cable or satellite there are several MTV and VH-1 channels playing music videos of all types as Michael mentioned. I agree though, I miss the old MTV, but the videos are still there, just in different places.

Jeff
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
A name change is still in order.
I suggest "The Chanel that shows only reruns of reality shows".

Dracula766
04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
MTV shows whatever the advertisers want them to show. I haven't watched MTV in over 10 years. I got really tired of seeing the same junk over and over. Once the original Headbangers Ball and 120 Minutes shows were gone, I knew MTV was a waste of time.

Its so sad that the majority of the population thinks that just because something is on MTV then it must be good. I wish more people would take the time to go out and discover good music on their own. There are so many fantastic bands that will never be on mainstream radio/mtv simply because they don't fit the "image" that some executive is looking for.
I have tons more to say on the issue but I'll quit now :soapbox:

RenDuran
04-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Wow...the first time I ever saw MTV was on a class field trip way back in ninth grade! I loved it! Those were the good old days, though. Now to get my video fix I have to watch VH1classics....I love watching the blocks of 80's videos. The kids think I'm nuts!

pink
05-03-2008, 07:04 AM
I don't mind that MTV shows reality shows as most of them are entertaining to me but I agree- they show ANTM way too much! I can't even watch it anymore, go away Tyra! :mickey: