PDA

View Full Version : why can't kids be kids

4myprincesses
04-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Not sure if anyone else saw the pics of Miley Cyrus in the news this morning, but it makes me sad. My girls love Hannah Montanna and I really was impressed with all her talk about maintaining a good image and avoiding Hollywood pressures.

I'd link, but I can not remember if news links are allowed or not but you can find it on Drudge.

It's too bad really, she's still just a kid.

Tiggerlovr9000
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
I totally agree with you. She looked so bad in those pictures, not just the fact that her back is showing but her face just looked scary. What was her parents thinking? If we took pictures like that at home of our children they would arrest us. :confused::-:mad:

Von-Drake
04-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I agree, it is disappointing to see her choose to do this. You would think in her contract her (her manager, or guardian) would have some level of editorial privilege and ask for a new shoot, or hopefully select better pictures. I would hate to think this is just another celebrity publicity scheme. "Yea, I did it, but now I feel so bad about it, didn't think they would turn out like this..." I mean is the intelligence levels of these younger stars just not there. Maybe too much time on sets than in school. Granted I know young people do things without thinking all the way through (I know I did), but these people have more than one other experienced adult looking after their image, first in line should be mom and dad. She is still underage, not an adult, so unless she divorced her parents or became emancipated they could still put the stop to this, right?

Ed
04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
The article I read on cnn.com speculates that the pictures may be of a "look-alike". Always a possibility.

Since this really isn't "news" per se, I'm going to move this thread down to the Water Cooler; hold on.....and please remain seated until the thread comes to a full and complete stop.

murphy1
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I am praying this kid keeps her head on straight as she has done so far and not the path of Britney or Lindsey Lohan. I didn't like the dress she wore at the Country Music Awards, it just seemed way too mature, it had a big keyhole opening in the middle chest, just way too mature for a 15 yo. I haven't seen the article, I'll have to look at it.

PS Congrats on adopting your twin Mulans!! I was excited to read that in your sig. I always remember seeing your princess and prince tag and then saw the twins.

Ian
04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
As Ed mentioned, there is quite a bit of discussion out there as to whether these pictures are legit or not. I believe there have been instances in the past when people have put fake photos of her out there to try to make her look bad.

I think people just want to tear her down and turn her into the next Brittney Spears.

murphy1
04-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I just went and looked, that sure is an exact look-a-like if it's true. I really hate it if they are her.

ncscgirl2005
04-28-2008, 09:28 AM
The article I read on cnn.com speculates that the pictures may be of a "look-alike". Always a possibility.

Since this really isn't "news" per se, I'm going to move this thread down to the Water Cooler; hold on.....and please remain seated until the thread comes to a full and complete stop.

I'm really confused by all the pictures. The ones I saw this morning flashing on the news were done by Vanity Fair but Miley said in her released comments that there were some floating around the Internet of her that she was not proud of. I did see some other rather "suggestive" photos of her (taken obviously by a personal camera) a couple of weeks ago but I really thought it was a look-a-like. These particular photos showed "Miley" in a pic with her boyfriend and another one showed her with her shirt pulled partly down showing her undergarments. So in listening to what was reported this morning, I got the impression that she was not apologizing for the Vanity Fair spread, but was apologizing for the unofficial photos that were circulating a few weeks ago. Hmmm....maybe I was rushing this morning (well it is Monday and I did sleep in) but I think I had better go read up on this.

Anybody have any clue what I am talking about? I truly wish kids would just be kids also.

Hammer
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Miley Cyrus says Vanity Fair photo spread embarrasses her

Mon Apr 28, 3:40 AM EDT
Miley Cyrus is taking issue with a photo of herself that's going around, and it's not another amateur, truth-or-dare Internet snapshot — it's the handiwork of Annie Leibovitz.

"I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed," Cyrus said Sunday in a statement through her publicist. "I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."

The photos, appearing in the upcoming issue of Vanity Fair, were taken by Leibovitz, a renowned celebrity photographer whose edgy, silver-toned portraits have included subjects such as Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson and a naked, pregnant Demi Moore.

The Cyrus pictures accompany an interview with the 15-year-old pop star and her father, singer Billy Ray Cyrus. They include shots of the teen wrapped in what appears to be a satin bedsheet, looking over her shoulder with her back exposed.

The Disney Channel, which airs Cyrus' TV show "Hannah Montana," was also critical of Vanity Fair.

"Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines," a network statement said.

A phone message left for a Vanity Fair representative was not immediately returned Sunday night. But in a statement to the TV show "Entertainment Tonight," Vanity Fair defended its position.

"Miley's parents and/or minders were on the set all day," the magazine said. "Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley."

In a caption released by Vanity Fair with the photo last week, Cyrus expressed her comfort with how the apparently topless picture turned out.

"I think it's really artsy," she told the magazine at the time. "It wasn't in a skanky way. Annie took, like, a beautiful shot, and I thought that was really cool. That's what she wanted me to do, and you can't say no to Annie."

A handful of borderline racy snapshots of a girl who appeared to be Cyrus have appeared on the Internet in recent months, including images of a girl posing in her underwear and bikini last week.

Cyrus is one of the biggest — and most G-rated — acts in the country and is often considered a role model for young girls. Her "Best of Both Worlds" tour sold out arenas, and her successful 3-D concert film collected $31.3 million in its opening weekend in February.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Ian
04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I was just about to come back here and post that apparently these are legit.

What's sort of funny is that the photos were taken by Leibovitz, who did all those YoaMD photos for Disney.

Ed
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I did a little more reading from various sources, and Miley does seem to be acknowledging that it was her in those photos (the bare midriff and the undergarment exposure), and that she's very embarrassed by the whole thing.

And while it's not exactly the most wholesome situation, did she really do anything totally scandalous? Personally, I don't think so. The photos that I've seen are a far cry from being any more suggestive than, say, what we see many teenage girls wearing on the beach. They were presumably taken by someone Miley considered a friend in a non-public situation, and that "friend" decided to make them public. Some friend!

And the Vanity Fair photo was taken by one of the world's top photographers, Annie Liebowitz (sp?), and apparently shows little more than bare shoulders - - again, hardly scandalous. Perhaps her parents/grandmother/"handlers" who were present for the shoot should have nixed the idea. Only they can justify that decision.

Anyway.... the long and the short of it is, in my opinion, that the whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. The Vanity Fair photos, while of somewhat questionable taste given her young age, were made for professional purposes. The other two (in my mind, at least) simply depict a young teenager being exactly that - a young teenager.

As Ian said, heaven forbid that Miley turns into another Britney Spears/Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan! :eek: She seems to have much more class than to fall into that trap. Let's hope it stays that way.

Gooftroop5
04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Personally why anyone would want a photo like that & think its great is beyond me. I don't care how famous of a photographer is this just isn't right. She doesnt' look comfortable & relaxed doing it to me. Definitely not natural looking either. She looks like a child that was forced to take a picture that she was told by a respected adult that it would be a great shot.

I agree where was her father or another responsible adult? I'm sure she wasn't at this shoot alone. Shame on Vanity Fair for wanting it too. Its one thing for people over 18 but under 18 it shouldn't even be a thought.

The other ones that are around the internet wether they are legit or not. Those were something that most 15 year olds would hope woudn't really show up outside their friends. We've all had the pictures taken at a party that we regret later. Its typical 15 yo being a 15yo. No one would think anything of it if she wasn't a star. Well her parents might. Look at some of the stuff on myspace etc.

I thought she had a chance of beating the odds of these childhood star problems but sadly it doesn't look to be so. :(

4myprincesses
04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
PS Congrats on adopting your twin Mulans!! I was excited to read that in your sig. I always remember seeing your princess and prince tag and then saw the twins.

Thank you, talk about being blessed times 2! We've been one of the lucky few to experience children by birth and by adoption. Our older two are 12 months apart (nearly to the day) and that was hard, twins is easier than that no questions asked. (Of course, we missed out on the first four months and I imagine any twin mom could tell you that those first few months were sleepless and hard!) My poor husband, he just doesn't stand a chance with all the princess going on in our house! :tink:

Back on topic, though, the more I look into the more I get a bit sad about it all. Sad for Miley that she would so publicly make a mistake like this and have to publicly express her regret. With my girls reaching the age's where they really are noticing people in the media (in other words, moving past animation) I really had hoped that "Hannah Montana" was a safe way to direct them. Not saying she isn't, we all make mistakes.

It is something to keep an eye on. Do I shelter my girls? YOU BET! There is just too much out there not to.

DISNEY in SIX DAYS!!!!:mickey:

Dulcee
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can't say I find them terribly scandulous. While I understand she's a role model for young kids (my 6 year old nephew is one of her biggest fans) she is 15, which in todays world isn't really a kid anymore. She's still young but 15 year olds are in high school and are starting to grow up. I know when I was 15 (I'm 21 now..) I ran around on the beach in a bikini and wore halter tops in the summer that exposed my whole back.

Again, I realize she has a lot of exposure to young kids but then maybe young kids should be watching shows aimed to young kids and not ones for young teens/adolescents. Personally I don't understand why the show which revolves around middle/high schoolers (correct me if i'm wrong) is targeted to kids as young as 6 and 7.

just my feelings on the matter..

LauraleeH
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
It's sad...I hope she steers clear of the negative photos from now on and gets back on track. The Vanity Fair article underneath her pictures says, "level-headed enough to avoid being the next Britney or Lindsay" and I sure hope so, but it seemed a bit ironic that they'd put that headline under her semi-nude picture.

To me, it's not just the fact that she has a ton of young fans, but it's also that she's a pretty, 15 year old girl, and in today's world, there are some disgusting people out there. I wouldn't want my child being looked at in a magazine, and I can't figure out why on earth Miley's parents went along with this. The whole family usually makes better decisions than that.

murphy1
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
There is something disturbing about these pictures. I just don't like this whole thing and I'm not a prude by any means. Even when I was 15, I had the judgement not to do certain things, this would have been one of them not to do. Now I'm thinking, great, what's next.

ncscgirl2005
04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Miley Cyrus says Vanity Fair photo spread embarrasses her

Mon Apr 28, 3:40 AM EDT
Miley Cyrus is taking issue with a photo of herself that's going around, and it's not another amateur, truth-or-dare Internet snapshot — it's the handiwork of Annie Leibovitz.....

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

OK so that was the exact same article I read after leaving that first post. That cleared it up a lot for me.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
although it's sad to see her trying to act grown up lets face it she is not a typical 15 year old. She makes millions a year, has a stylist, a manager and the list goes on and on. Yes, I am sure most parents of 15 year olds would not allow your precious little one look provocative but you don't have a manager and booking agent steering your life. It's sad but maybe she was advised to take the pictures, after all she cannot appeal to 6-7 year olds anymore she needs to appeal to tweens. She is growing up, yes too fast but maybe that is how it is when you have someone in your ear telling you to change your childish image or you won't have a career. Bad choice, yes, maybe. Hopefully not, I hope she grows into her teens respecfully and tactfully, we don't need another horrible role model. Hopefully the bad press she got from these photos will change things, here's to hoping!

murphy1
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Something else, this is Disney we're talking about. Walt didn't even want Annette wearing a bikini for awhile! I know times are different, but it's kind of the last bastion of innocence that parents have been able to rely on. Me and my dh wouldn't stand there and let these kind of photos be taken of our kids, what were Billy and Trish thinking.

drummerboy
04-28-2008, 02:43 PM
A 15-year old has the ability and the maturity to say 'no'. I haven't seen the photos, but I can't imagine anyone thinking that a shot of a teenage girl wrapped in a satin sheet would have anything but sexual connotations, 'arty' or not.

I'm not willing to go along with the same old excuse that all her handlers, etc. 'made' her do it. She can make the decision to go for the fame and fortune, no matter what it takes, or to maintain her own sense of decency and take responsibility for what she does.

Jasper
04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I have seen the Vanity Fair photos but not the internet ones. The problem with the Vanity Fair photos is not what is shown, but rather what is implied by the entire setting - particularly in the one of her in the sheet and the one with her boyfriend. The only "skin" that you see in the photos is her back. But the problem is that the way the photos are staged makes you think of one thing only and that thing is sex. And that is why people are upset about the photos. Parents of children from age 6 through early high school had thought that perhaps Miley Cyrus was someone that was "safe" for their kids. These photos put that way of thinking in jeopardy!

crazeedizneefinatic
04-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm not willing to go along with the same old excuse that all her handlers, etc. 'made' her do it. She can make the decision to go for the fame and fortune, no matter what it takes, or to maintain her own sense of decency and take responsibility for what she does.

300% agreed, looks like people will choose money over their reputations or childrens for that matter. In the "real" (non hollywood) world parents would put their foot down and say absolutely not. I know at least we would. When Billy and company was presented with the deal he thought first of their mortgage, expensive cars and lifestyle they are accustomed to and need to make money to support. Maybe they though for a brief moment that it was okay because that is what they are surrounded with. I think the only reason Miley is saying she is embarrassed now is because they were caught being greedy and doing anything to gain fame and fortune. Her reputation is tainted, at least for now.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
04-28-2008, 03:06 PM
IMO...
I think this story should be a bigger issue for both Annie Leibovitz's and Vanity Fair's lack of judgement.

Do you think Disney should have had a representative present at the photo shoot since it is their "product" and company image at stake?

It's always sad to see the Disney kid stars do things like this whether it is in their personal or professional lives (i.e. Brittany, Lindsay, Anne H., and to a lesser degree Shia and Miley).

diz_girl
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
I have read other articles about this and it appears that her parents were there that day, but stepped out of the studio at the time that this photo was shot. However, her grandmother (yep, granny) and another "handler' were present when this photo was taken. Also, the other articles mention that these photos were taken digitally and could be instantly recalled on a computer monitor, and were shown to her and her parents and granny immediately afterwards and they all approved of them. So the argument that Vanity Fair and Annie Liebovitz are taking advantage of a young girl is a bit of a stretch. Miley's only now embarrassed because Disney is unhappy and that the pictures will hurt their, and subsuquently her, bottom line.

As for the other pictures in the Internet, those are pretty much an announcement to her parents of "Welcome to the realities of raising a teenage daughter in a Girls Gone Wild/Real World/My Space/You Tube world". Girls Gone Wild ushered in this era about a decade ago. MTV's The Real World (after season 4) brought it mainstream, and now with My Space and You Tube, teenage girls everywhere feel the need to go through this rite of passage of exposing themselves on camera. Of course, the men love it, until it's their daughter that they're seeing on the screen.

It reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit that showed a father (Will Ferrel), mother (Molly Shannon) and daughter in her early 20s (Kate Hudson, I think) sitting in front of the TV when a Girls Gone Wild ad appears. The ad then shows the daughter several times exposing herself in videos taken in various cities. When the ad for the New Orleans video comes on, the father asks the daughter if she has ever been there and she says no and the father is relieved. The ad then shows the mother exposing herself for some Mardi Gras beads. It's a funny skit, and I wouldn't be surprised if some father found himself in a similar situation.

crazypoohbear
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I guess I am just to skeptical.
If I were 15 and someone asked me to take off my clothes, wrap myself in a sheet and look longingly over my shoulder with a come hither look I think I would know that the picture would not be "disneyesque"
I sure as heck know that my parents would take me home as soon as the photographer said take off your top and bra!

I don't blame Annie L. she was doing what she was paid for, she is "cutting edge" and was going with what she was "Allowed" to do.

Her parents, grandparent AND hander were all there to say "stop, you've crossed the line" Miley is old enough to say no.
They all thought they would kick it up a notch but it backfired and now they are blaming everyone but themselves.
Welcome to hollywood! buckle up it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Dsnygirl
04-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Because my girls love HM so much (and b/c I've also enjoyed her & the show, with the hope & prayer she can stay away from what's happened to other Disney stars...) I looked at the photos when I saw this thread, too.

What's sad is that if you go to Vanity Fair's website and look at their video of the shoot and their candid shots of the shoot, they're TOTALLY different than what they've chosen to publish! The shots of her that they're showing on their website in defense of her complaints are great - cute, nicely done, tasteful for the most part.

But the shot they doctored up and are using for their magazine is so awful - the coloring and everything about it is so ugly - I don't blame Miley for hating it! She and her parents may have seen the photos, even this particular shot (which I agree, shows too much bare back to make me comfortable) but I doubt they saw the "end product", which is so totally different than the rest of the shots they're showing us.

It's sad - we'll probably never know the truth of who knew/saw what before the picture was published - but today's kids are so over-exposed on every level that they're becoming immune to it all. Regardless of what Miley and her parents were thinking, there is still an element to her that is too mature for her age - I've thought so since she appeared in Disney's Christmas Parade in that little white dress. Pretty, but way to short and tight for a 15yr old.

I still like the show, and have hopes for her - but I have to be honest - I've pulled my girls away from watching the show for the past few months b/c at almost 7 & 10, they just don't need to believe that they get to dress and act in such a "mature" way - they have a hard time seperating their age from hers, add to that the fact that even Miley at 15 shouldn't be doing/wearing some of the things she does/wears.

So - I do hope this turns around for her - I'd hate to see things continue they way they've seemed to be headed lately. :(

Dakota Rose
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can't say I find them terribly scandulous. While I understand she's a role model for young kids (my 6 year old nephew is one of her biggest fans) she is 15, which in todays world isn't really a kid anymore. She's still young but 15 year olds are in high school and are starting to grow up. I know when I was 15 (I'm 21 now..) I ran around on the beach in a bikini and wore halter tops in the summer that exposed my whole back.

Again, I realize she has a lot of exposure to young kids but then maybe young kids should be watching shows aimed to young kids and not ones for young teens/adolescents. Personally I don't understand why the show which revolves around middle/high schoolers (correct me if i'm wrong) is targeted to kids as young as 6 and 7.

just my feelings on the matter..

This is actually a very enlightening response. Dulcee is right. In our culture, 15 is not a child anymore. We only have ourselves to blame for that. I'm only in my 30s, but when I think back to being 15, I see a lot of differences. Teens are now a huge marketing target demographic, and unfortunately that means they are inundated with the same types of advertising targeted at adults (i.e. skimpy clothing, provocative poses, etc). I mean, I remember when Sweet Valley High and 90210 were "risque". By today's standards, they're cliche and old-fashioned. And, what's worse is Dulcee is also right about targeting 6-7 year old kids with tween and teen images. But we can't just blame the media, or even the child-stars' parents. We need to put the blame on ourselves too, because we buy the stuff they sell us!

That's just my :twocents: and I will now step off my :soapbox:.

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
The personal photos I don't care as much about. I mean yea is it a little "racy" especially since her bf is there... sure. But for the professional one, I think it's completely inappropriate, and not artistic at all. To be honest, she looks like a child prostitute from a third world country. She is FIFTEEN!!!!!!!! And it is not the same as a halter top. Her back is exposed almost to her buttocks in the full photo. The insinuation is definitely meant to be Lolita-esque - I am bare naked under this sheet come and get me. With the number of children who get abducted and molested or even murdered by men with sick perversions every year, especially in the era of the internet (hello? anyone watch To Catch a Predator) this just really makes me upset. Girls recreate poses of their idols all the time. Let's be honest, If any of your young daughters had a picture like that on their myspace page you would be very upset. The fact that her parents were on set and approved just boggles my mind. She had a perfectly nice image that is bringing in a billion dollars. Why on earth does she need to become "edgy" at such a young age?????

Dulcee
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
As for the other personal photos on the internet (I just got finished reading the article about them from CNN) I was surprised they even bothered to mention shots that involve her with a :eek: boys arm around her waist or her :eek::eek: cuddling on a couch with him.

Again correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't she kissed boys and dated guys on the Disney show? If parents are going to let their kids watch shows with teens in them, they need to be prepared for the realities that come with a teen's lifestyle. And yes, 15 is very much a teen. The reality of high schools now ( I was there three years ago, my 16 year old sister is there now, is that 15 year old girls date boys. They go out to parties, even the good, modest straight-A girls who stay out of trouble. ) I think we really need to give Miley a break here.

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Again correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't she kissed boys and dated guys on the Disney show? If parents are going to let their kids watch shows with teens in them, they need to be prepared for the realities that come with a teen's lifestyle. And yes, 15 is very much a teen. The reality of high schools now ( I was there three years ago, my 16 year old sister is there now, is that 15 year old girls date boys. They go out to parties, even the good, modest straight-A girls who stay out of trouble. ) I think we really need to give Miley a break here.

I think most people have more of an issue with the Vanity Fair shot, not her personal photos.

Jeff G
04-28-2008, 09:40 PM
The photo I am most bothered by is the Vanity Fair photo. In my opinion the photo suggests that she is naked under the blanket and for a 15 year old I find this very inappropriate. I wouldn't want that to be my DD nor do I want her thinking that is normal or OK in any situation at 15. The photo in question was taken by an adult with adult supervision and an adult editor allowed it into the magazine. The magazine and the people involved are exploiting her to turn a profit and it disgusts me.

thrillme
04-29-2008, 01:05 AM
I remember an old photo of my mother when she was probably about 17. She was wrapped in a satin top and photographed from that point up bare shouldered. Nothing was showing...but it was stylish then.

Photos have a way of being touched, angled and enhanced to a point that when they were being taken...it really didn't look like much. I think the parents made a mistake...I think Miley thought she was "pretty" and wasn't thinking anything else. I have no doubt they probably saw a softer warmer looking photo than the one that appeared. The photographer should have known better but her job was to start chatter.

It's a lesson for her to be careful because there are a lot of people who are going to try to make a buck off of her.

Other picts that are circulating are supposedly look a-alikes. Good grief. These days there are so many.

SBETigg
05-02-2008, 07:08 AM
I don't think the personal photos are look-alikes. She is supposedly straddling her confirmed present boyfriend. No two people are going to look that much like both of them, plus they are allegedly posted on her own Myspace page. The girl is fifteen. That's what a lot of fifteen year olds do now. The problem is with the hypocrisy. She wants to present an image to appeal to her audience that isn't in keeping with her behavior.

The Vanity Fair "topless" picture disturbed me a bit, but the ones with her draped over her dad were worse to me. Fifteen is a little old for that. They seemed pervy to me. Her parents have final approval on all shots. They had to have seen the finished product before it went to press. To blame the photographer and magazine for manipulating a fifteen year old is ridiculous.

Miley knew exactly what she was doing, and the "I'm embarrassed" excuse is simply to appease the younger fan base, which is insulting. If anyone is manipulating her, it would be her parents. But I think they're simply caught up in the rush and looking to have the best of both worlds- to appeal to Miley's current fan base while pushing her toward a more grown up career level. And the problem may be the same with lots of parents who can't take responsibility or say no to their kids.

Marker
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Amazing.

So many being so quick to cast negative judgement, with or without factual information, without both sides of the story, without even seeing the "offending" pictures.

And the blame being tossed around is of course aimed at the person who some might actually consider to be the victim. What about the photogapher?

I'd be willing to bet that if this was a story that wasn't about a celebrity, people would be in an uproar about the photograhper who would take advantage of a minor. But since it's a celebrity, the whole attitude of the story changes. Guess celebrities are automatically guilty, and could not possibly ever make a mistake.

WDWRox
05-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Personally I could care less, but I think Disney really needs to put the smackdown on these stupid kids. If it's not Vanessa Hudgins posing nude and having those photos all over the place, it's now the untalented, flash-in-the-pan Miley Cyrus trying to go down the route of sleaze. And I don't buy their claim of "oh we just though they were pretty photos and totally innocent" either. That's just garbage.

PirateLover
05-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd be willing to bet that if this was a story that wasn't about a celebrity, people would be in an uproar about the photograhper who would take advantage of a minor. But since it's a celebrity, the whole attitude of the story changes. Guess celebrities are automatically guilty, and could not possibly ever make a mistake.
It's hard to try to change the situation because it is what it is. Annie Leibovitz is a famed celebrity photographer who often takes "edgy" photos. I think one of Miley's quotes was "You don't say no to Annie." Well, really? I think a 15 year old and her parents can band together and tell a photographer that the edge is being pushed too far. I agree with Sherri. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. I mentioned in the Movies, TV, Music forum that her song "See You Again" is now being played in bars and on on regular top 40 radio. Her fan base is expanding and this was probably an attempt to appeal to an older crowd because lets face it, tweens don't read Vanity Fair. But the question is why did they feel the need to do that? She is still as huge as ever with her current fan base. She couldn't wait 3 more years to do something like this? When you purport yourself to be a role model, everything you do will be under scrutiny.

Disneyatic
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
The personal photos I don't care as much about. I mean yea is it a little "racy" especially since her bf is there... sure. But for the professional one, I think it's completely inappropriate, and not artistic at all. To be honest, she looks like a child prostitute from a third world country. She is FIFTEEN!!!!!!!!

This was exactly what I thought! The picture of her with the sheet looks terrible to me. It has almost a gray palor, her make-up and hair look terrible, like she is some neglected street child that was forced into taking the picture.
:ack:
Regardless of who was on the set, when the photographer said "take your clothes off, drape this sheet over you and turn your back bare back towards me" the adults should have said "hold it, no "bare" pictures" and the photographer, artisitic or not, should have known better than to put a 15 year old in bedroom type situation for picture purposes.

It's a sad demonstration of the loss of innocence that our children face so early on now.

beksy
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I am in agreement that this was definitely a bad decision on Miley, her parents, handlers, etc.'s part. She is a remodel for teens and needs to remember that. It's not like she is at a stage where she should be trying to increase her audience to older people by doing shoots like this. She could say no and should have said no. On the other hand, everyone makes mistakes and I think she should be given a little break, especially with the personal photos on the web. After all she is at the age where she wants to go out with her friends and have fun and experiment. These pictures were private, not like the Vanity Fair ones, and probably never meant to be broadcast. Yes she is a remodel but with these particular pictures she was also just being the kid that she is. Her image may not be squeaky clean but I don't think that irreparable damage was done (at least it wasn't sex tapes or Playboy or something). Everyone involved made a mistake with the photo shoot (it looks horrible without even considering the sexual aspect of it) but we need to move on and just keep an eye on her future moves and hope this has been a hard lesson learned.

GrumpyFan
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not trying to be extreme with this, but isn't this kind of bordering "exploitation of a minor" or in some places wouldn't this be considered close to child pornography? Whether or not it is, it never should have made the front page of a magazine. Those pictures do not belong there, and her parents and Disney should never have allowed them to be used. Vanity Fair took advantage of the situation by publishing these pictures and now stands to make millions off of what I consider exploitation, but then I'm not her or her father.

momof3+twins
05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Think back to when you were 15. Would you have felt comfortable being photographed topless even with the blanket? I feel bad for her. I think her parents need to think about what is more important, money or their daughter. I think she needs to get out of the business before it is too late.

Aurora
05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I've seen the pictures -- Vanity Fair and the internet ones.

I also took my 11-year-old DD to the Hannah Montana movie. When I saw the Vanity Fair photos I was reminded of a scene in the movie where Miley didn't want to do a stunt move on stage, where a group of young men catch her, because the first time they did it, they dropped her. She kept telling her mother she didn't want to do it again, and instead of her mother telling her she didn't have to, that they would figure out something else, her mother chastised her, saying that she had to do it and it was just like what they used to do in cheerleading.

That said it all for me. We're handling your career, honey, and you can't say no. Miley's quote about "you don't say no to Annie" fell right into that mold.

DestinationWDW
05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Just some bad decision making all around....and it saddens me as I loved all of A.L.'s YOAMD's work - so beautiful! And I also saw "spoof" of Miley's video "4 Minutes to Save the World"....how a 15 year old budding artist spoofs Madonna (I know, not a role model for our children) but a 40+ beautiful woman still making great music.........:confused: These kids today (in the spotlight and our own) grow up way toooo fast.......:(

Stich8818
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
For my wife and I feel the same way...while it was wrong...there are many parties at fault..

1. Parents...you think that they would not have left knowing the history of Vanity Fair (Demi Moore...naked...pregnant?)

2. Annie Lebowitz.. She is doing these YOMD photos and knowing the company and the values... something "edgy" may not go over well.

3.Miley..I know she is 15 and all but you have made your money with Disney and being around that enviroment common sense should have sent the red flags up.

But then I also look at it this way...the pics may be bad the Vanity Fair and the Myspace....but it could be worse...

I got 3 words....Jamie Lynn Spears

Little Round Bale
05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I did not see the photos myself, heard about them. I think the people that look after Miley had plenty of time to rethink and stop this all. My daughter is 15 and she is still a kid in my books (yes my princess is growing up :drama:). Although I do not agree, this maybe the celebrity way of moving onto the next step not wanting to be one set style. Very poor judgement. I am surprised her mom or dad did not stop this. I thought they were more protective.

BUT I think a person can learn and I doubt we see more of this type of thing with Miley.

motherhamv
05-13-2008, 09:22 AM
With 3 Miley fans in the house, I paid attention to those pictures. I was more offended by the one with her dad, then the one that kept flashing on the tv.

However this career mistake happened, was it really so bad to lower her value???

I walked through a Dillards store, and all of the Hannah stuff was %75 off. I find it real hard to believe that people could buy that killing game that just came out, but are going to complain about that pic.

Am I wrong???

BigRedDad
05-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, it is the stores that are determining what they are carrying. I think Wal-Mart has all Miley Cyrus things 50% and clearance. Is it really worth it for a 16 year old girl, making $1.5M per month, with all of the impressionism to take those photos? This is her fault and her parents fault. It was stupid to take such pictures without a clause in the contract that allowed her and her parents to choose which photos could be included in the magazine.

Is it deserved? I don't know. My DD is only 2 and I dread the day I have to worry about those discussions.

Gottaluvgoof
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
With 3 Miley fans in the house, I paid attention to those pictures. I was more offended by the one with her dad, then the one that kept flashing on the tv.

However this career mistake happened, was it really so bad to lower her value???

I walked through a Dillards store, and all of the Hannah stuff was %75 off. I find it real hard to believe that people could buy that killing game that just came out, but are going to complain about that pic.

Am I wrong???

I agree with you. I thought the one with her dad was kind of odd, but who knows. I think the media is just waaaaaay too involved in these people's lives. As long as she isn't doing drugs and partying like Lindsey and Paris, I don't see a problem. I think the media wants these people to mess up. They follow them non stop and print every ounce of dirt, or non dirt they can find. My girls still listen to her, but really, their favorites are the Jonas Brothers. I'm sure the media will find something about them to try to cause a stir. In the mean time, I am paying the $80 for their concerts...ugh!

Piglet822
05-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the photographer a well know woman known for tasteful photos? I think this was an idea that someone had that sounded real good in the beginning but turned out to be a big no no :nono:
Celebrities live under a microscope and yes, it comes with the job but at the same time we must remember they are people like you and me and they sometimes make bad judgement calls (I've not yet seen the photos, keep this in mind - I'm just trying to generalize)
I think Miley needs to hold her head up high right now because in another week or two, Brittney, Paris, or Lindsay will do something that will take the spotlight off of her.

elmjimmlm
05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
, their favorites are the Jonas Brothers. I'm sure the media will find something about them to try to cause a stir.

I think that the media is looking for things bad on them all...There is a picture out now of a girl that has cellulite on her legs...I mean really...Does that make her less of an actor because of that...I think that there is too much press about all of these people...I dont want to even start with the presidental race...:mad: Privacy is a rare gift that these people have and knowing that being a celebrity will bring this on, why do they still want this lifestyle?

baby minnie's mommy
05-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Remember, too, that Miley is still only 14 or 15. She's still a child, and very impressionable. Try not to be hard on Miley herself. I'm more upset at the adults who encourage kids to do questionable things.

Marker
05-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Just my own personal opinion... but I never did see anything all that outrageous about those photos.

I think the hub-bub is the result of sensationalistic media feeding a scandal hungry public drama that doesn't really need to exist.

I'd say that if this is all it takes to lose fans, then they weren't really fans to begin with.

People are people, regardless of who they are, what they do for a living, or how much they make. Yet so many people seem to insist on holding celebrities up to some kind of higher standard than they hold themselves too. If people were truly as appalled the media outlets wouldn't be able to sell it. I wonder if the people doing the fussing have ever done anything themselves that would be considered bad taste, or bad judgement. Especially if it were put up to the same public scrutiny.

Bottom line, they're people just like you and me, and people make mistakes (if this really even is one). And while some people gossip and cast judgements, good people refrain from judging, and are able to forgive.

Disnamic Duo
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Bottom line, they're people just like you and me, and people make mistakes (if this really even is one). And while some people gossip and cast judgements, good people refrain from judging, and are able to forgive.

I don't know much about Miley Cyrus, but I've seen the news lately. I don't think the hubub is about her being a "bad" person. I think it's that she's supposed to represent someone "wholesome". I don't think - and it sounds like Disney agrees - that those photos fit into the "wholesome" category. THAT is what she was being marketed as, and she blew it.

As far as judging, EVERYONE judges. In your post, you made the judgement that people who don't judge (no such thing) are "good". It's important to judge "things".

pink
05-14-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm just expanding on what others have said about Walmart and all of those stores putting Miley merchandise on sale... I read that her show Hannah Montana doesn't have as many viewers as it used to have. Her popularity was way to big to last a long time, if she doesn't change her image soon I don't think she is going to be around for much longer.:mickey:

disneylovinmom
05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Think how hard it would have been for us to have to make all of our mistakes while growing up in the public eye. Please remember that these people all are human first. Nobody is perfect.

GossipGirl
05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
That is correct that she has the option to say no, but did she? No. According to the article, the pictures are meant to have a sense of art included in them. If the pictures were too bad, her parents wouldn't let her do it. Seriously, if you're a 35-40 year old man or woman and you have a young teenage daughter, you wouldn't let her take raunchy pictures of herself. You'd ask her to rethink her thoughts on it. I don't see anything wrong with the pictures, whether she was showing her bareback or not. She's a person like you and me. And though younger children may watch Hannah Montana, I doubt such young kids would keep up with Miley's photoshoots and even understand why so many are against them.

murphy1
05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought the one with her dad was kind of weird too.

drummerboy
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Bottom line, they're people just like you and me, and people make mistakes (if this really even is one).
have to disagree about that one. If they were just like you and me, they wouldn't be making millions of dollars off of people like you and me. When I was 15, I wasn't on the way to becoming a billionaire based on a wholesome image.

The 'mistakes' that celebrities make are magnified to the nth degree and they know about that--it's part of the tradeoff for the fame and fortune. I've said before, they always have the option of stepping out of the limelight and becoming ordinary people like the rest of us that few people pay much attention to.

If you want a good example of someone who made the transition from kid star to teen star to adult star without getting raunchy, look at Ron Howard, for one.