PDA

View Full Version : Figaro's Flower Festival part one

dlpmikki
04-27-2008, 10:42 PM
The usual players - me Figaro the toy cat, my cousin floppy and this time beanie the stunt kitten came too. Oh and my two humans, Mikki and Andrew.

Sunday 20th April
We leave Lincolnshire about 2pm and Mikki drives to our bed and breakfast near
Gatwick Airport. Our room (actually 2 rooms) would sleep a family of 6. The cost, including breakfast and car parking for the whole of our trip, is less than the large hotels charge just for the night. The humans enjoy a meal at a local pub. That’s the last time for a few weeks that they’ll get hot chunky fried potatoes when they ask for “chips”.

Monday 21st April
We get a lift to the airport (yes, included in the room price). Mikki has used Virgin Atlantic’s online check-in but the check-in area is remarkably quiet anyway. Our trip through security is also reasonably quick. By contrast, the Departure Lounge is crowded – conjuring up images of “bad old days” of holiday charters.

When we are called to the gate, the line at the entrance to the gate area immediately tells us this flight is not going to leave on time. “Fast track” through security seems just to mean through the first set of security. They seem to be doing a complete second check of cabin bags but have cut that down to random searches by the time we get there. If they hadn’t, the flight would have been more than the hour late it was departing. However, the crew managed to make up most of the time in the air. I enjoy Virgin Atlantic’s Premium Economy seating where they provide a nice wide space for me between my human’s seats.

We have our first experience of the new escalators at Orlando International direct from the customs hall to the shuttle: very easy. We take all our own luggage to Magical Express. We spend very little time waiting in line and not much longer waiting on the bus. Old Key West is its first stop. We are in building 12: just across the road from the Hospitality house. Welcome Home!

The humans soon go by bus to Downtown Disney to activate their annual passes. They also enjoy eating at Wolfgang Puck Express. This now has expanded indoor seating and the line wasn’t too long (like it was at Earl of Sandwich).

Tuesday 22nd April
Andrew and I have a quiet morning while Mikki rushes off to the Animal Kingdom to celebrate its 10th anniversary. Her taxi picks her up at 6.30am. She takes my “stunt kitten”, Travelling Beanie.

Mikki spends a long – but excellent and memorable – morning at DAK. She is there early to register for the Wild Decade event organised by WDW Celebrations with collaboration from Disney. She was also there for the Re-Dedication Ceremony with Jane Goodhall and Joe Rohde.

The most special event was a talk from Joe
Rohde in the Theatre in the Wild. This was mainly for cast members – the only non cast members were the few hundred from the Wild Decade group. Rohde definitely addressed his remarks to an audience of cast members and there were many references to former Disney management who commissioned Animal Kingdom.

Rohde also took part in a signing event for guests generally and Mikki waited in line to get him to sign a copy of “Disney’s Mountains” and an Animal Kingdom lithograph.

The first disappointment of the day was Mikki’s sandwich “lunch”: ham thin enough to see through on bread she judged as stale. The group was planning a more substantial meal later but she didn’t stay.

The final event Mikki took part in was the history walk. This was interesting but the jet lag was setting in. When the walk reached the entrance gates Mikki decided to leave the group. Thanks to Adam Roth and team for organising a great day. Mikki said that if you get a chance to participate in a WDWCelebrations event you should take it.

Back to OKW and we all go to the Hollywood Studios (as they now are) for the evening. Seeking another snack, we check out the fast food places. ABC Commissary spices up its offerings by naming them after tv shows – but the descriptions of the food sound as unappealing as ever. Let’s go to Studio Catering for their pulled pork sandwiches. No, it’s closed and you have to walk back the long way. We end up at Backlot Express where at least the ubiquitous Disney chicken strips will not let us down. Uh Ohh, they’re now “nuggets”. Can’t be sure the chicken is re-constituted but the taste has definitely gone “low budget”. And, there’s no honey mustard dip. A cast member claims it has disappeared from the property!

offwego
04-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Aside from food mishaps it sounds like a pretty good time so far.

The walk sounds like it would have been great fun if you were not tired out. Glad that most of the travel part went so well.

Thanks as always for sharing with us.

DizNee143
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
sounds like a great first couple of days..cant wait to hear all about the rest of your trip!!! :mickey:

faline
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
An exciting start to the trip! The celebration at Animal Kingdom sounds awesome (except for the food)!

We once saw Joe Rohde just strolling through Animal Kingdom. He was deep in conversation with the person he was with so we did not interrupt him but it was pretty cool to see him!

pogo
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm glad you traveled safe and that the humans had a good time as well.

Can't wait to read more ! :D

MauiMouse
04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
It was really nice to be able to spend the morning with Mikki, we missed you Figaro today.

Jeff
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Very cool!
Thanks for reporting.:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for sharing.

NotaGeek
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Well don Figaro! I always marvel at how entertaining your trip reports are! Those humans are sure lucky to have you play the part of scribe! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Figaro, it sounds like your Lady human had a wonderful time at the Animal Kingdom events. Thanks for giving us some an exciting report of all that she was able to take part in. :mickey:

pdrlkr
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

wdwgrl377
05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for sharing this great report, Figaro! Glad you and your humans had a nice travel! Can't wait to read more! :mickey:

cal5755
05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Well Figaro your first 2 days sounded great!! And the AK celebration day sounded like a unique experience!

gauvin4
05-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Figaro you have a way of writing a trip report that only a cat has. I always look forward to reading them!! Sounds like the trip is off to a great start. Off to read more!

dolphinmickey9170
05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
This is awesome, Figaro. Thanks for sharing!! MEOW.:mickey:

KylesMom
05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
How fabulous that your human got to participate in the Wild Decade event. However, I'm sorry that the food was fit for neither kitty or human! The conversion of chicken strips to nuggets is a travesty! :(

Looking forward to the next installment! :mickey:

tinkerbell04
05-16-2008, 05:53 PM
How fantastic for Mikki that she got to participate in the Animal Kingdom celebration. Thanks for sharing, Figaro, you make a great reporter!:mickey: