PDA

View Full Version : Camping tips?

Dulcee
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Alright, so in a month my boyfriend is dragging me on a camping trip to Assategue Island. I have never camped before, :confused: just not something my family is into. He camped a couple of times while younger and swears thats enough for him to know what he's doing :cap:. He talked me into this by booking a few nights at a bed and breakfast before this camping adventure. I like the outdoors and i live on the beach so at least i'm not in the mountains but quite frankly I'm scared,:shake: :help:so I'd love any tips/hints/suggestions from anyone who camps or has gone beach camping. We're also bringing our 6 month old puppy with us.

NJ Camper
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm guessing you're tenting i would check if you are allowed to bring your pup not all campgrounds allow dogs or not in tents have never camped at the spot you are going to have been to myrtle beach in a trailer it was great if you have any ?'s i will try to help but could use a little background like what are you camping in?
how long?
is it just you 3 or are friends going?
how much supplies for camping do you have or are you roughing it?
i'm sure i have more but this will give me a start

Dulcee
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
We are tent camping and we did check ahead of time to make sure the campground takes dogs, she'll just have to stay leashed which won't be a problem. The campsite has an upright grill and within the vicinty theres bathroom and shower facilites (my one major concern).

We're only staying three nights over memorial day weekends and its only the three of us. As for the rest of "supplies" all I'm really aware of is a blow up mattress and a couple of sleeping bags.

busterthebronco
04-28-2008, 03:15 PM
bug spray!
i like to take a headlamp style flashight to find my way to the bathrooms after the sun sets.
dont forget asprin or rolaids or whatever over the counter medicine you like to have handy.
lastly take your favorite pillow.
its good to have something comfy from home.

Gooftroop5
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Been years since I tent camped. What need to be brought depends on how you are planning on cooking. A big thing is if cooking over open fire use dishwashing soap on the OUTSIDE of the pot. (My dad can tell you stories about a father using on the inside on a scouting trip) It helps cleaning the pot. make sure you have flip flops or water shoes for the shower facility (I'm sure you might have guessed this if you go to the beach a lot).

We usually bring a propane portable stove. This saves cooking over a fire. I see they have an upright grill but there is still things you can't cook very easily that way. If bringing can goods make sure you have a can opener.

Flashlights are always good. Warm clothes for morning & night. Plastic garbage bags to help keep things dry and to put dirty clothes in.

Have fun. I'm trying to convince dh to go tent camping with the kids. He's been too spoiled -like I have- from my parents rv & doesn't like sleeping on the ground even with the air matress.

biodtl
04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
We love to camp! Some things you should not go without are bug spray, sunscreen, plenty of water, some tarps for rain protection, waterproof matches, flashlights and/or lanterns, first aid kit and sturdy footwear.

Depending on the wildlife in the area, you may want to bring gear to tie up your food (and make sure it is stored well).

And bring garbage bags, so you leave it as clean as (or better) than it was when you arrived.

Janmac
05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm assuming you're camping at the National Park Campground which is where we camped at Assateague a few summers ago. There's a state park campground too but we didn't camp there.

Mosquitos and horses are insane. Mosquitos in the shower house which my granddaughter did not care for. They didn't really bother me much - I think the more calm you are the less they notice you.

When we were there the path to the shower house we were using was covered in sand. So your feet will be sandy almost all the time.

The shower house was a typical beach shower house. Lots of sand and some rust because of the salt air/water so be prepared. You will have to bring all your toiletries that you want to use, towel, flip flops for the shower, and there won't be much place to put anything - no handy ledges, etc.

As one poster said, bring a personal flashlight in case of needing to walk to the shower house after dark. (Many people feel that it's a BF or DH's responsibility to accompany a person to the bathhouse at any time after dark :D)

Also, a sweatshirt/pants. Evenings always seem to feel cool. We didn't tent camp as much as our daughter. She always brought a small light area rug (you could use a large beach towel maybe) for in front of the tent door, and that's where shoes stayed. No shoes in the tent.

The horses walk wherever they feel like. Right through campsites. There are signs everywhere to leave them alone - wide berths. They aren't shy about people at all. With the horses around you might want to have a plastic storage box to keep your shoes in. I wouldn't put it past them to walk off with one.

As others said, sunscreen, bug repellent, sun glasses, hats/visors - there can be a lot of sun, as you probably know. Bring chairs. We really like the battery lanterns from either Walmart or Target. There are some for under $20. Very handy when camping. We have a travel trailer and still have 4 of these.

Also, the campground will probably have quiet hours - usually from 10 pm to 6 or even 8 am. This only means no loud carrying on - you can still sit up and visit and look at the stars, etc.

We enjoyed the beach and seeing the horses, once we got used to them. At the Visitor Center our granddaughter paid something like $20 or maybe $40 and "adopted" a horse. She got a photo and her adoption fee goes to helping keep the horse healthy.

If you're camping at the Nat'l Park CG, highly recommend stopping at the Visitor Center. It's small but has some interesting stuff.

Just relax and go with the flow - camping can be a lot of fun.

Jan

tys_mommy
05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
You could spend hundreds on dollars on fancy camping supplies but I'd wait to see if you like it first. Ask around to see if friends have anything you could borrow. Remember to bring cheap flip flops to wear in the showers.

I never pictured myself as an outdoors person but we went camping 3 years ago and love it – we now go at least 1 weekend a month – usually a lot more. Don’t write it off until you try it.