PDA

View Full Version : Week of Thanksgiving---what is it like?

nicjohn3
04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Hello--I am trying to plan a trip for free dining in Sept or week of Thanksgiving. We want to stay at POR. Can anyone tell me--

1. What POR is like at Thanksgiving? Is it decorated for the holidays

2. Are the Christmas decorations/lights up at the parks by Thanksgiving or do they decorate after Thanksgiving?

Strmchsr
04-25-2008, 04:29 PM
As for the "free" dining, you should probably check availability on that. Disney only sets a limited number of rooms with each discount, so those may be sold out at POR. MJ can tell you for sure.

The decorations are definitely up Thanksgiving week. The Osborne Lights and MVMCP both start in mid November and most things are decorated by then. Everything else is generally up and fully in the Christmas spirit by Thanksgiving. The only things that start after Thanksgiving are the Epcot holiday storytellers and Candlelight Processional.

Buttercup
04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I would MUCH rather go in September than around Thanksgiving. After going to WDW around Easter one year, I have whole-heartedly decided to avoid Disney World around holidays. Waaaaaaay too crowded. No thanks. :(

Go in September.:thumbsup:

nicjohn3
04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks--I have gone the last 2 years at Easter and thought it was great (I am use to the crowds in the summer along with the heat).

The thing with Sept is that I am a teacher and would much rather take 3 days in Nov. rather than 6 in Sept. (Due to the fact we get the days off in November) I know it will cost more--about $800 more, but less days off of work :)

jillluvsdisney
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I've been twice the past 4 years at Thanksgiving. The crowds were fine the days up the Thanksgiving. We didn't go to a park on the actual holiday though. The resorts are decorated for Christmas by that time. Last year, I was there the first week of November and holiday decorations were going up already.
The weather was very nice both times during Thanksgiving week. It was warm but not hot. Jeans and a sweatshirt were good for evenings.

Pirate & Princess Mom
04-25-2008, 10:47 PM
We went the week of Thanksgiving '07 and it was great. The decorations were up and the parks were relatively slow from the Friday-Sunday before on Monday and Tuesday we started noticing an increase in attendance at the parks and by Wednesday the MK really started to fill up. We just hopped to DHS on Wednesday and it was fine. We left Wed afternoon so we weren't there for Thanksgiving Day. I would go again that time of the year, but just leave the day before Thanksgiving to avoid the large crowds. Nice weather and awesome decorations!!!!

SodaPopMGK
04-26-2008, 09:01 AM
My family went Thanksgiving week in 2005 and we were prepared for the worst. It was one of our best trips. It definitely became more crowded as the week went on and we had planned to avoid the parks on Thanksgiving. Luckily, we decided to try MGM on Thanksgiving and I have to say it was one of the best days we have ever had in a park. I would not hesitate to go that week again, unfortunately two of my three boys are in high school so I can't afford to take them out for the whole week. Have a great time planning your trip!:mickey:

JMTStone
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
We went last Thanksgiving. Wednesday through Saturday were busy (they even limited fastpasses) but still manageable. We were happy at MVMCP. We also had to take the time near a holiday because of the "no child left behind" limit on school absences.

Christmas decorations were up everywhere and it was just beautiful.

That being said, if you decide for November bring a sweatshirt for night time!!!!

tinklvr
04-26-2008, 05:21 PM
We went last Thanksgiving. Wednesday through Saturday were busy (they even limited fastpasses) but still manageable. We were happy at MVMCP. We also had to take the time near a holiday because of the "no child left behind" limit on school absences.

Christmas decorations were up everywhere and it was just beautiful.

That being said, if you decide for November bring a sweatshirt for night time!!!!

Where do you live that NCLB puts a limit on absences? I work in a school and we do not have that rule here (Illinois)

We are going the week of Thanksgiving (sun-fri) the worst thing right now is the airfare going from Chi to Orlando! :(

buzznwoodysmom
04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
We went for Thanksgiving 2007 and had a fantastic time. We've been at all different times of the year and this was one of our best trips ever. We arrived the Thursday night before Thanksgiving, attened MVMCP on the Friday night and stayed until the Sat. after Thanksgiving. We were able to do so much at MK during the party, definitely worth it. We didn't do a WDW park on Thanksgiving Day(went to Sea World instead) so I can't comment on the crowds that day. The only day we felt the crowds were bad was the Friday after Thanksgiving at Epcot. It was mobbed, but we were still able to do everything with evening EMH. I think you'll have a great time. I know lots of people that were in WDW last year for Thanksgiving and everyone said they had a great time and the crowds weren't nearly as bad as everyone expected.

nicjohn3
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all your help! I think it will be Thanksgiving. I teach in Missouri and we do not have the rule about absent days--I sometimes wish we did for some of the students who are always absent for no reason--hard to do my job when they are not at school. If we do this, my son, hubbie, and I will only miss 3 school days --we are off the Wed. b4 and we will leave the Friday before Thanksgiving

JMTStone
04-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Where do you live that NCLB puts a limit on absences? I work in a school and we do not have that rule here (Illinois)

We are going the week of Thanksgiving (sun-fri) the worst thing right now is the airfare going from Chi to Orlando! :(

I live in PA. The last time we took DD out of school May 2006, I sure got an earful from the principal of my school. "Its a good thing her grades are good" etc. etc.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
My husband and I are going to Disney over this years Thanksgiving holiday from 11/24 thru 12/5. We usually go in October or early November. But this year our niece is dancing at the Magic Kingdom with her dance class. We couldn't pass it up to see her. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

bigbabyblues
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
We went for Thanksgiving 2007 and had a fantastic time. We've been at all different times of the year and this was one of our best trips ever. We arrived the Thursday night before Thanksgiving, attened MVMCP on the Friday night and stayed until the Sat. after Thanksgiving. We were able to do so much at MK during the party, definitely worth it. We didn't do a WDW park on Thanksgiving Day(went to Sea World instead) so I can't comment on the crowds that day. The only day we felt the crowds were bad was the Friday after Thanksgiving at Epcot. It was mobbed, but we were still able to do everything with evening EMH. I think you'll have a great time. I know lots of people that were in WDW last year for Thanksgiving and everyone said they had a great time and the crowds weren't nearly as bad as everyone expected.

These are our dates this year...the Thursday before until the Saturday after. Glad to hear you had a great trip!