PDA

View Full Version : Pill Found on Floor of CR room

pooh0601
04-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Has anyone else ever had this experience? I'm sure it's somewhat common, especially with the high use of OTC and RX drugs these days. It's just scary to think of the possible consequences though. We were in our hotel room for 4 days, 3 nights, and on the day of departure, as I was checking to make sure we had packed all clothes and toys, I was looking on the floor and under the bed skirts, I uncovered a red and white capsule. I should have brought it home with me and contacted poison control to see what it was, but instead I disposed of it in the trash. A friend said we should have contacted the front desk management immediately. But really...what are they going to do? Just apologize. It just have gotten missed when the housekeeping vacuumed. But who knows how long it really was there?

This was the first time in almost 100 trips for us to DW that we've noticed something like this. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had any experiences like this. I'm just glad I found it before my 1 or 4 year old did.

DisneyDog
04-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Doesn't surprise me that it was missed by mousekeeping. Could have been worse. Last time we visited my inlaws, my DH's step mother (who is a diabetic) dropped her needle on the carpet and didn't know. I almost stepped on it with my bare feet (and it had blood on the end).

Glad you found the pill before your kids did. But, throwing it away was probably all you really could have done.

Von-Drake
04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
That is kind of scary! A friend of ours had a similar experience on a vacation a few years ago (non Disney). We actually look over the floor and counters very carefully now upon checkin. Especially, since our son can get into almost anything now.

MickeyMousse
04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Wow, never had quite that kind of experience. When my youngest DS was on his first trip, he was crawling around our room at YC and found some old goldfish crackers under the sofa...and I thought that was bad! It was then that I did a swift looking around for things all over the room and on the floor. But I did report the found goldfish to the front desk and to a friend who was working there at the time. Promptly he got in touch with housekeeping, who went up and did a thorough cleaning while he watched!
At the DVC resorts, they have a vacuum in the closets so I'd do a once over when we got to into our room.
I still do that even though my DS's are older.

wire0monkey
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
A red and white capsule was probably Tylenol.

Running a quick room inspection at check-in is a good idea, though.

dfamasb
04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
I have had this happen on several occasions, though never at Disney. Knowing how overworked housekeeping staffs are it is not shocking. When you only have a limited amount of time to clean each room it is bound to happen once in awhile. If you've got little one's it's a great idea to check the "easy to miss" spots like under the bedskirts, under desks and along edges of furniture...anyplace a quick vaccuming might miss!

Jasper
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately this is very possible and probably happens more often than we realize. I know that Mousekeeping does a good job but things will and do get missed. In the past I would have said always do a thorough check as others have already suggested and then flush anything you find down the toilet. However, with the current concern about the high levels of pharmaceuticals in our water that is no longer considered a good way to dispose of it.

You know, this reminds me of a situation from a couple of years ago when I left a half bottle of blood pressure medicine behind at an Embassy Suites in Indianapolis. The housekeeping staff found it and called me before we returned home and even knew I had left them behind.

In the past I would have said just check the rest of the room carefully, flush it down the toilet and go on. But with the current concern about pharmaceuticals in the drinking water I would say that you should probably give it to Mousekeeping or the front desk. When you consider how many rooms Disney has I have to believe that this happens more often than most of us realize. And if it does, then I would bet that they have a policy on what to do with it if it is turned in.

By the way, while it certainly could be Tylenol as someone else suggested I would not take that as a certainty because I have one medication that comes in a red and white capsule and it is most definitely NOT Tylenol!

Spartan_Jeff
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Never found any pills, however, I did find a beer bottle hidden in a fake plant once. This subject will make me check out the room upon check-in everytime now.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-25-2008, 05:02 PM
I could see how that would happen, probably the pill was just pushed along instead of vacuumed (sp?) up. I have always been a germ-a-phob so no one would be on the floor anyway or the bedspreads for that matter. After seeing a show on 20/20 about whats on a hotel bedspread that is the 1st thing that comes off the bed and folded and put on a chair. My son gets so mad at me (he's 7 now) I always make him wear shoes when walking in the room. A small container of clorox wipes always make it into our suitcase to wipe down the phone, countertops and toilet seats. I know it's crazy but I am sure they don't clean like I would, even in Disney, LOL!

nicjohn3
04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
We do the same--clorox or Lysol:ack:

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
This did not happen at Disney but just the same we learned ALOT from it. We were vacationing in Denver and DS 16 months at the time started having a seizure. We rushed him to the hospital. After running several tests and not finding anything they transported him to the Children's Hospital in Denver. After even more tests - still nothing. They gave him medication to stop the seizures but they still continued. They finally tried a high dose that stopped the seizures. After spending 4 days in the hospital we returned to our room. While packing to go home I found a pill. Yep, DS must have found one too and that caused all of the seizures. It caused damage to the left side of his brain and he lost ability to speak and even make noises. After 2 years of speech therapy he is back to normal now.
On a happy note when we went to WDW our quiet nonresponsive little boy when wild on It's A Small World. He started making all kinds of noises and pointing and even smiling. IASW will always be my most favorite ride.
You can never check out your room well enough. Check and double check for anything that might hurt your little one. They are too precious not to take a little time to prevent something bad from happening.

pink
04-25-2008, 06:24 PM
That is scary- especially if you have young children in the room.

By the way, while it certainly could be Tylenol as someone else suggested I would not take that as a certainty because I have one medication that comes in a red and white capsule and it is most definitely NOT Tylenol!

I agree- I thought that Tylenol no longer used capsules because people were tampering with the powder inside of them? :mickey:

murphy1
04-25-2008, 06:50 PM
There are so many meds out there now, who knows what it was. Just be glad DS didn't eat it. I have stayed all over hotels when I traveled and never had that one happen! I guess there are worse thing you could find though.

magicofdisney
04-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Doesn't surprise me that it was missed by mousekeeping. Could have been worse. Last time we visited my inlaws, my DH's step mother (who is a diabetic) dropped her needle on the carpet and didn't know. I almost stepped on it with my bare feet (and it had blood on the end).

Glad you found the pill before your kids did. But, throwing it away was probably all you really could have done.
Finding pills is bad enough, but a used needle freaks me out also.

Here we go again...
04-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I agree- I thought that Tylenol no longer used capsules because people were tampering with the powder inside of them? :mickey:
You are right, they use gel caps now so they do not open like the old capsules.
I work in a pharmacy and you would be surprised to see how many little red and white pills are counted in a day... never assume it is harmless. What we don't know could kill someone.

mrsgaribaldi
04-28-2008, 01:05 AM
We found a pill in on the floor in one of the moderates. I called and let them know. One pill can kill a baby or small child. Make sure you check your rooms and if a child does take something, get them to an ER right away. We had an incident at work where a young child took his grandma's blood pressure pill. They waited like 5 hours to get him to the ER and it was to late. He could have lived with the proper treatment. It still makes me so sad to think of him.

MNNHFLTX
04-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Ideally, the person taking the pills (or using syringes, needles, etc.) should take extra care in handling them, but things do get missed sometimes. I agree that you pretty much have to child-proof your own environment wherever you go, and that's not just hotel rooms. I have found unknown pills on several occasions where children could potentially get ahold of them--the dressing room floor of a department store and under the table at a restaurant, to name two. Your experience is a reminder that we have to be extra-vigilant about looking for such things before giving kids free reign to explore.

DisneyDog
04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
We once had a woman come to my house to sign some mortgage papers. She opened up her purse, and a pill came flying out and landed in our dog's water bowl. :mad:

TinkerbellT421
04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
One time, at a restaurant I sat down and on the floor was a opened bottle with pills scattered about ( I had stepped on something and felt it crunch so I looked down), and sure enough there were pills EVERYWHERE, I picked up the bottle, and it was a bottle of Vicodin, I freaked out on management, they were all over the place for it to have been "missed" by SOMEONE ANYONE. And I dont know about anyone else but I have seen people let their children crawl around the floor at restaurants (which skeeves me out as it is nevermind just picturing a child ingesting a Vicodin pill if not more). Then at our last vacation we stayed at POP and when we walked in I noticed a tshirt under the bed. Very noticeable. But the worst was (I am a huge germ-a-phob) I check the bed sheets upon arrival everytime I dont care who what where when, I pulled back the sheets and there was blood spots (about the size of a quarter) scattered about the bed (like someone cut themselves and moved their hand) I freaked out and called room service and told them I wanted the place cleaned from top to bottom. They did very nicely and were very VERY appologetic. She threw out the sheets in front of me too and took out the garbage.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I could see how that would happen, probably the pill was just pushed along instead of vacuumed (sp?) up. I have always been a germ-a-phob so no one would be on the floor anyway or the bedspreads for that matter. After seeing a show on 20/20 about whats on a hotel bedspread that is the 1st thing that comes off the bed and folded and put on a chair. My son gets so mad at me (he's 7 now) I always make him wear shoes when walking in the room. A small container of clorox wipes always make it into our suitcase to wipe down the phone, countertops and toilet seats. I know it's crazy but I am sure they don't clean like I would, even in Disney, LOL!

I do they same thing and I've never seen that 20/20 special. If I did I don't think I could sleep in a hotel room again.

You are right, they use gel caps now so they do not open like the old capsules.
I work in a pharmacy and you would be surprised to see how many little red and white pills are counted in a day... never assume it is harmless. What we don't know could kill someone.

I take an antibiotic that is in a red/white capsule.

I think if I found a pill I'd take it to the front desk. Just so that they'd be better aware of the problem. It could be really dangerous if a small child happened to consume one.

Disney Doll
04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for posting! It's a good reminder to check out the floors especially for those of us with kids.

dizknee531
04-30-2008, 11:05 PM
i feel like housekeeping has been lax lately.I have found hairbands and food by the bed. thank God I have never found a pill. But, when you complain, nicely, they just don't seem to care. I'm talking about grand Floridian, Poly and OKW. i'm very frustrated between this thread and the bedbug thread. What's going on. we're paying so much money, it disgusts me!!:bang::bang::bang:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds stuff. We found a bottle of soda once and usually odds and ends. I don't want to see anything from the guest before. Not even a fruitloop. :humph: I can't imagine a pill. I ALWAYS check around all the beds and even under the bed every time we stay in a hotel. I expect to find the worst so I rather go looking for it than my kids stumble on it. I'm usally looking for snakes and wildlife too.:blush: Hey, you never know. They leave those doors cracked open. Have you seen the number of lizards in the summer?:jaw:

katzctkpt
05-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I most definately will check the rooms thoroughly upon check in.

krorx
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
This is both creepy and scary. I have the same problem due to 20/20. I am creeped out by germs in hotel rooms. But I never thought to look for pills. Thanks for the info.

Patty
05-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Am I the only one that is starting to think that checking into a hotel is begining to become a real pain. I have never been a germ-a-phobe (although I do have other issues :blush: ) but I do want a clean room, especially with the money I am dishing out. Hotel owners may not think that the money is alot, but as a proud member of the blue collar working class, it is alot. Not only do you have to do a "quick" check around your room to make sure there are no "remainings" of the previous guests, now we have to do a much more thourough check to make sure there are no bugs making them selves comfy in the beds just waiting to make us there next meal, and then maybe catch a free ride home with us to make our life hell trying to get rid of them. I honestly think theses should be issues for the hotels to take care of not for the guests dishing out hundreds or even a thousand or more (depending on where you stay, and how long) to have to worry about. If it means they have to hire more staff to do these inspections after EVERY guest checks out then so be it. I don't know about your area of the country, but in mine the unemployment is out of control. I don't know about anyone else, but there are a few things that I expect. I expect the food that I buy at the market to be safe to eat, I expect the prescriptions I pick up at the pharmacy to be right and I would love to expect the hotel rooms that I stay at to be clean and free of parasitic infestations. O.K. I will come down of my soap box now. I just know that I am held accountable for my actions or lack of at work, and customer satisfaction is held above all, I think that every industry should be held accountable for issues within there industry. Germs, lack of thourough cleaning, and bed bugs are a hotel industry issue and they should have to figure it out and take care of it. Sorry for going on, and to all the people out there working in the industry, by no means am I trying to put you all down, I know there are alot more good than bad, I just hate the fact that the hotels (which alot of times are the most expensive part of your vacation) are the biggest problem and you don't see any evidence that they are trying to change things. Because of all of this it makes me really think twice before going away.