PDA

View Full Version : Our Magical Honeymoon - Day 1 (4/12/08)

brewcrew26
04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
You can read my pre-trip report here http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=129594

Cast:
Me, 27 (going on 8), veteran with at least 20 trips (I've lost count). Last trip Aug. '01. My goal is to find as many Lumpy heffalumps as possible.

DH (Brett), 25 (going on 40), only been twice, never stayed on-site or eaten at a TS restaurant. Last trip 1998. DH's goal not to lose DW in any theme park.

Day 1 – Arrival Day

I was having one of those “I’m-too-excited-to-sleep” months (yes, not just a night, a month) waiting for our trip to the World. My last trip was in 2001 so needless to say I was due for a fix even after going to Disneyland in ’05.

Surprisingly, I was able to sleep the night before our flight. I guess my excitement just wore me out. But, our flight was at 7:30 that morning. There had been a lot of problems with our airline (Midwest) earlier in the week doing checks of their MD-80 planes. So, many flights to the Orlando area were canceled. There had also been some heavy fog that canceled flights leaving a lot of people scrambling to get out of Milwaukee early on a Saturday morning.

Thank goodness my Dad instilled a “get-to-the-airport-three-hours-early” rule in me because I have never seen so many people at Milwaukee’s airport before. It took us a half hour to check-in plus another 45 minutes with the TSA. We barely had enough time to get breakfast (there’s a Cinnabon at our airport so it’s a kind of treat when I fly) and say goodbye to my brother and Dad.

The flight made it off the ground on-time (without some passengers who had yet to make it through security). DH hates flying so he gets really tense and anxious. But finally the 2.5 hour flight was over and we made it to sunny Orlando.

I just love being greeted by an airport tram that has the smell of wet athletic sock and a dirty diaper, but at least I was somewhere 40 degrees warmer, right? Plus, we’re on our honeymoon. Even better!

This was our first time using Disney’s Magical Express. In retrospect, DH and I probably won’t fly on a Saturday again since it seems like the busiest time. But, we didn’t actually wait long at all to get on a motor coach to Caribbean Beach Resort. We got lucky and were put in the line that was the next to get out of the airport.

So, we made it to CBR around noon. There was quite a line of people out the door of the Custom House (the registration building at the resort). There were also a lot of people waiting to catch a DME back to the airport. My only gripe with registration is that they didn’t seem to have a lot of people working – only four with a line of people going out a door. It took us at least 45 minutes to an hour before we were all checked in. Our room wasn’t ready, but the Cast Member gave us a number to call at 3 p.m. to find our room number in Trinidad North.

So, we took the Internal Bus on over to Old Port Royale (the main hub with the food court, shopping, arcade, concierge) to get our refillable mugs and relax for a bit. I’ve never gotten a refillable mug before, but I’m so glad I did! It’s one of the best buys in the all of the world. I don’t think I drink more lemonade than I do when I’m in the World. It was great because DH is an early riser. He would head to OPR while I was still asleep or in the shower, get me some lemonade, and it was just a great start of each day.
Once our room was ready, we called Bell Services. They had all of our bags, even the one’s from DME. So, we were able to freshen up before dinner that night. (But, still remember to pack a carry-on, folks!)

We had dinner ressies that night at Boma (feel free to read my post on that over in the Dining Section). I was very surprised. I went in not knowing a whole lot about African cuisine and came out loving many of the new and bold flavors.

I was also very impressed by the grandeur of Animal Kingdom Lodge. With its large picture window overlooking the savannah, artifacts from African tribes, and knowledgeable cast members, DH and I would definitely think about staying here on a future trip. We have some amazing pictures of the Watusis and the zebras in the savannah. Plus, there’s cozy seating around a fireplace where you can hear native storytelling. There’s even a certain aroma to the building that whisks you across an ocean to a different continent.

After dinner, we decided to head to the Boardwalk. We wanted to enjoy some dueling pianos at Jellyrolls, but apparently they were closed for a private party that evening. So, we just strolled along the area peeking into shops. We loved the Wyland gallery even though we can’t afford anything right now. I was a little disappointed with the arcade at ESPN Club. I remembered something bigger, but it was packed with screaming kids and even louder adults trying to restrain the kids.

So, after that we were beat and decided to call it an early evening at head back to the resort. Since it was still warm, we went for a swim in the quiet pool of Trinidad North. It felt so nice since it was heated. There were a few families enjoying a night swim, but most were still in the parks. That would be us tomorrow since it was a first full day in the theme parks and, of course, we’re headed to the Magic Kingdom!

MOJoe
04-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I only had one of those "i'm too excited to sleep" weeks. But then i'm already married. Great that you made your flight and your dinner at Bomas. I'm sorry i missed getting to the AK lodge this year.
Looking forward to reading more!

faline
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Whew! When you started talking about airline troubles and fog, I was concerned about your getting on your way! Overall, it worked out pretty smoothly and you are now ready to enjoy your trip!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm so glad to hear that it worked out after a bit of a bumpy start!

Can't wait to read the rest :mickey:

pogo
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
A wonderful start to your honeymoon ! :thumbsup:

We stayed at CRB for our Honeymoon too and loved it !:cloud9:
Going to read day two ! :D

cal5755
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
ooh it is off to such a nice start I can't wait to hear more... be back to read the rest after I do the dinner dishes!!

Congrats on your honeymood vacation too!!:mickey:

Sunshine1010
04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
LOVED your report.

In December, we will be flying in on a Saturday. First time doing that. We usually fly in on a Tues/Wed (due to the special prices). Is it really THAT much more crowded than during the weekday?

Oh well --- no matter what - we'll be at Disney!

Congratulations on your wedding!

Hull-onian
04-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Congrats on your wedding!!! You couldn't have started wedded life in a better place on earth.:thumbsup:

brewcrew26
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
LOVED your report.

In December, we will be flying in on a Saturday. First time doing that. We usually fly in on a Tues/Wed (due to the special prices). Is it really THAT much more crowded than during the weekday?

Oh well --- no matter what - we'll be at Disney!

Congratulations on your wedding!

Well, being my first time trying DME, it looked pretty packed in that little loading area. I'm not good spatially, but there had to be at least 150-200 people. I'm sure with such huge busses it moved fairly quick.

Bethis26fan
04-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Sounds like an intreasting start.

pdrlkr
04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

HndrdPrcnt
04-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Let me tell you, I am already excited beyond belief and we are not even positive that we are going. Just the idea of possibly being able to go is enough to get excited about!!:thumbsup:

Sounds like you are off to a good honeymoon!! I can't wait to read the rest!!:mickey:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Sounds like you had a great start!

I am sorry we missed each other! It would've been fun to meet up.

ElenitaB
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
This is sure is a great way to start your "happily ever after." Loving your trip report! Onto the next installment...

vizsla
04-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the report.

wdwgrl377
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
What a great day you had! Thanks for sharing! Off to read more! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
05-01-2008, 06:01 AM
Whew! Travel portion is done and you made it safely. I think the CBR is a perfect resort to honeymoon at as it is so pretty and peaceful. Sounds like you managed to get some fun in on your travel day. Thanks for sharing. :mickey: