PDA

View Full Version : Had biopsy today

murphy1
04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I had my thyroid scans done and the dr. said the nodules I have didn't look good and had changed, so he did a biopsy. If it's cancer, I get surgery and if it isn't, then I just go back later. I'm so sore in my neck and ear, he couldn't get a lot of cells out at first and had to get out this big plunger thing! LOL. Thanks again, here's hoping no cancer!

Just to let you know, I've been through this before, and thyroid cancer is one of the best you can have and the surgery takes care of most of it, sometimes radiation is used. It's just going to be a hassle with scheduling and all that.

SBETigg
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Shari, wow, that sounds kind of scary. You're handling it pretty well, so I guess you know your stuff. Are you feeling better now? Sending best wishes for your good health!

:pixie: :pixie:

KineGirl
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
... still!Thats awful :ill: Im keeping my fingers crossed for you :fingers: I hope it works out and you are better sooner than later!

RedSoxFan
04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
:pixie::pixie:that everything turns out OK.

Gooftroop5
04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
:hug::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Hoping the best for you. Take care of yourself.

Strmchsr
04-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Lots of :pixie: and prayers for you Shari! Keep us updated.

disneydeb
04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking of you!:pixie:

buzznwoodysmom
04-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Tons of :pixie: and prayers. Good luck with everything.

HndrdPrcnt
04-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey Shari -

As you well know, I am in the battle with ya!! Once you have to deal with it, you deal with it for the rest of your life. However, I feel lucky that I get to live my life with the testing for the recurrence of cancer. Many are not that lucky!!

In the strangest way, my whole experience with cancer has been a blessing. I just keep asking God what he wants me to take from this experience and what I can share with others. The one thing that I have learned is that life is precious and should not be taken for granted. AND, the same is true of my family!! I do my best to tell my wife and my girls every day that I love them and that they mean the world to me!!

I will be praying for you and for good news. If the cancer is back, I pray that the docs will have options to get rid of it for you!

God Bless!!

kakn7294
04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Shari, I'll be keeping you in my prayers that things turn out for the best. Keep us updated. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Stitchahula
04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for you. Here's a ton of pixie dust and more prayers for you.

Kairi_7378
04-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Prayers and pixie dust for you! My brother is a liver cancer survivor and he said that the wait after the biopsy was the worst part... even worse than the surgery. Let us know how you make out!

PirateLover
04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
BIG HUG!!! Even if you are prepared, it still stinks. Here's some more :pixie: and hopefully you will get the all clear.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Lots of good thoughts and wishes for you.:pixie:

ElenitaB
04-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Shari, here's to NEGATIVE! Please keep us posted!

RenDuran
04-25-2008, 06:26 AM
You're definitely in my thoughts. I hope everything turns out well.

pogo
04-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Shari.... can you feel the "Love" coming from everyone ??? Here's some more :pixie: and :hug: from me.

You are right... if you have to have cancer, this is a good one to have. God bless and be strong for your girls.

I hope you can get to come down to WDW in December to see us. :D

offwego
04-25-2008, 08:50 AM
More pulling for negatives coming your way. :pixie: keep us updated please.

Hopefully you'll find out good news really soon.

murphy1
04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys!! It really means a lot. I'm glad it's end of school year, we are so busy. I'm heading for a nice little trip to Florida for a bit after I get that wonderful negative news!!

MsMin
04-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Keeping you and my thoughts and prayers. :pixie:

laprana
04-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Sending lots and lots of :pixie:, prayers, and postivie thoughts your way!

sharimac
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Shari-
I have just been a lurker here but your post prompted me to register. I'm going through the same thing right now. I had 2 biopsies that came back inconclusive so I'm having surgery on Wednesday. If the nodule is cancerous, they will remove the entire thyroid. I just can't wait for the whole thing to be over. It's very stressful.

BTW-My name is Shari, too!

SBETigg
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Shari-
I have just been a lurker here but your post prompted me to register. I'm going through the same thing right now. I had 2 biopsies that came back inconclusive so I'm having surgery on Wednesday. If the nodule is cancerous, they will remove the entire thyroid. I just can't wait for the whole thing to be over. It's very stressful.

BTW-My name is Shari, too!

Welcome, Shari. That's so sweet of you to register to offer support to Shari. :hug: Best wishes for you. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday.
:pixie: :pixie:

murphy1
04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi, Shari, this is so weird! Hope all goes well for you, give yourself lots of time to recoup, my partial 11 years ago was a full month, with the first two weeks the hardest and then the last two just really tired. Back then they did partials more and now they do totals. Are you hypo too? I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune thing. If I can help you at all or you have questions, let me know. I am on the Babycenter Thyroid Board, the ladies there are wonderful and great support. I should be hearing next week on mine.

kakn7294
04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Shari-

BTW-My name is Shari, too!Welcome to Intercot Shari! Best of luck with your surgery - I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. Please let us know how it goes.

Jasper
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I was diagnosed at the beginning of April with Papillary thyroid cancer and had my entire thyroid removed on April 18 so I can understand and sympathize with what you are going through. The surgery itself is not that bad compared to some of the back surgeries I have had. (I am going under the knife for my eighth back surgery as soon as I get the thyroid taken care of.)

I assume that if you do have one of the simple kinds of thyroid cancer that you will go through the standard routine of having a full body scan and then taking one or two doses of radioactive iodine, and then they will start you on a thyroid medication that you will take for the rest of your life. Fortunately none of this is a big deal including the radiation. You will not be sick or lose your hair in the process.

The only bad thing about the process is that they can't do the scan or radiation until all of the natural thyroid hormone is out of your body. That means you will become VERY lethargic and sluggish before you get started on the medication.

Fortunately I am scheduled to start this process next Monday. While it is never fun to do stuff like this I am actually looking forward to getting this done so I can get on thyroid medication and having some energy again.

murphy1
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I was lucky enough not to have to go through RAI with my surgery, they rarely give Chemo unless it's anaplastic thyroid cancer, my bad stuff was all in one place, so it was pretty much taken out with the surgery and they felt I didn't need radiation then (my cousin had a total due to invasive thyroid cancer). I am on lifetime Synthroid, which is okay, when I was pregnant, it was pretty jacked up to the highest level. I was talking to another patient who said she feels better without a thyroid. Jasper good luck, gee we can all start a thyroid club!I have talked to a lady last year who lived near the Hanford Plant which is notorious for thyroid cancer in Washington state. I have never had radiation exposure, just luck of the draw.

Shari

ElenitaB
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
:pixie: to our two Sharis and to Jasper!

disneydeb
04-28-2008, 08:36 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::grouphug:

sharimac
04-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Are you hypo too? I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune thing. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's and hypothyroid. I have started on Synthroid but it hasn't helped yet. Hopefully once the surgery is over we can figure out the right dosage and I can start feeling better. I'm so tired of being tired!

Thank you all for the well wishes, you're very kind.

Shari

BronxTigger
04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I have talked to a lady last year who lived near the Hanford Plant which is notorious for thyroid cancer in Washington state. I have never had radiation exposure, just luck of the draw.

Shari

Ahh, Hanford. I lived near there for about 15 years. It's a bit scary.

:pixie: to all in this thread who need it!

Flower
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
To both Shari's and Jasper, my thoughts are with all of you :hugs:

tinkerbellybutton
04-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Sending lots of pixie dust to our 2 Sharis and Jasper. :pixie: :pixie: the three of you will stay close in my thoughts.

sharimac
05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. My surgery went well, I was home by noon on Wednesday. The pain hasn’t been too bad, my ears bother me more than anything. I have been pretty much sleeping off and on all day every day since I got home from the hospital. My neck is really swollen but I’m guessing that’s normal. I was thinking I may be able to work from home this week, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. It’s a struggle just to keep my head up. I feel a little better every day, though.

murphy1
05-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Shari, glad you're doing well! Your surgery sounds a lot better than mine was! Don't rush back to work, rest! Give yourself time like Jasper said for the meds to adjust, it takes some time and you'll be amazed at how much better you will feel after a bit.

murphy1
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
My dr. called tonight. My biopsy results came back and he thinks it might be thyroid lymphoma (it's a form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma). I have to call my surgeon in the morning to schedule removing the rest of my thyroid. My autoimmune disease could be contributing to having this lymphoma, so the surgeon will take a section of it on the table and find out for sure, then I know if I have to have radiation or whatever comes next.

PirateLover
05-06-2008, 01:05 AM
My dr. called tonight. My biopsy results came back and he thinks it might be thyroid lymphoma (it's a form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma). I have to call my surgeon in the morning to schedule removing the rest of my thyroid. My autoimmune disease could be contributing to having this lymphoma, so the surgeon will take a section of it on the table and find out for sure, then I know if I have to have radiation or whatever comes next.

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :hug:
You'll be in my prayers.

HndrdPrcnt
05-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Shari -

I am so sorry that you have to continue to deal with this, but I am happy that your doctors and surgeons are staying on top of it and thus giving you options for conquering it early. I know the struggles of living with cancer, believe me, and it is not fun!!

However, we have to stand strong in knowing that our Lord & Savior is there for us and he has promised not to forsake us and to give us hope and a future!! Amen!!

You are in my prayers!!:thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
05-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Sorry I missed this, Shari (we were in Disney when you posted and I missed a lot). Sorry the results weren't negative. :pixie: :pixie: for your treatments.

kakn7294
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. My surgery went well, I was home by noon on Wednesday. The pain hasn’t been too bad, my ears bother me more than anything. I have been pretty much sleeping off and on all day every day since I got home from the hospital. My neck is really swollen but I’m guessing that’s normal. I was thinking I may be able to work from home this week, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. It’s a struggle just to keep my head up. I feel a little better every day, though.I'm glad to hear that things went well for you. :pixie: for a continued speedy recovery!

My dr. called tonight. My biopsy results came back and he thinks it might be thyroid lymphoma (it's a form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma). I have to call my surgeon in the morning to schedule removing the rest of my thyroid. My autoimmune disease could be contributing to having this lymphoma, so the surgeon will take a section of it on the table and find out for sure, then I know if I have to have radiation or whatever comes next.Shari, I'm so sorry your results weren't good this time around. Let us know when your surgery will be so I can pray extra hard then. :pixie:

MsMin
05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Shari, I'm sorry to hear your news was not as hoped. Will kick up the prayers a notch (ask my mom and friends to help ;) :angel: Sending :pixie: for you and your family.
More :pixie: and prayers for Jasper and Sharimac too! and Sharimac :welcome:

prprincess
05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Sorry, but I missed your original post (was in WDW). But I wish you all the best, and you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Terra
05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
More :pixie: that it turns out to be nothing!
But I'm very happy to hear that if it is something that it is highly treatable!!!

Hey are you guys coming back to Florida anytime soon?

murphy1
05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I am meeting with my original surgeon next Weds and going over my reports and scheduling the surgery for end of May, beg. June. Mom and dad are coming up from Tampa, I am bummed we were planning to go down there when school was out, but I need to do this now. If anyone out there is ever told to do just a partial thyroidectomy, consider doing a total, I am not happy about going through this again.

Terra
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
:grouphug:
I sure hate that you have to miss coming down now...

sharimac
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
My dr. called tonight. My biopsy results came back and he thinks it might be thyroid lymphoma (it's a form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma). I have to call my surgeon in the morning to schedule removing the rest of my thyroid. My autoimmune disease could be contributing to having this lymphoma, so the surgeon will take a section of it on the table and find out for sure, then I know if I have to have radiation or whatever comes next.I'm so sorry to hear that things did not turn out as well as you had hoped. I'll say some prayers and hope that your surgery goes well.

Sharimac :welcome:
Thank you for the welcome! Everyone here has been so nice.

Kairi_7378
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
So sorry to hear about your results... Prayers and pixie dust to you!

ElenitaB
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Shari, my thoughts and prayers are with you! Here's a bunch of :pixie: ... know that your INTERCOT family is with you in spirit. You can and will get through this. As John says, it certainly isn't fun; I'd add to that, we're blessed to be HERE to complain about it. ;)

sharimac
05-09-2008, 07:15 PM
I had my one week post surgery follow-up yesterday and boy was I knocked for a loop. After further testing on the part of my thyroid that they removed, they found 2 cancerous spots. I was shocked, I thought everything was fine. Apparently the spots are so small that nobody would have been able to see them.

Now I have to go through the surgery again in about a month. I can't believe this is happening. I wish I told him just to take out the whole thryoid the first time.

I just wanted to update you all since you have been so kind.

murphy1
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
OMG Shari! That's terrible! What kind of cancer is it? I'm guessing papillary which is most common. Are you doing radiation? I have had ten years in between, I can't imagine going through this so fast again. They found out I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis when I got my last surgery, I would ask about that, it's an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism. I get mad about partials now b/c they know they have to end up taking it out later anyway, they did more partials back when I had mine. Please email me per my pm if you need support or anything I can do. It's still weird to see you posting with my name and same disease!

kakn7294
05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Shari, that's terrible! I'm so sorry you have to go through this all over again. Let us know when you are scheduled so we can send you some pixie dust and prayers.

sharimac
05-10-2008, 11:25 AM
It is papillary. It's so early that the prognosis is very good. After the surgery they will give me a radioactive iodine pill to make sure all of the cells are gone. I'm surprised that I'm not more worried about it than I am. I'm sure it will hit me as the surgery comes closer.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis a few months ago. We're still trying to get the medication right. I started on 25 mcg, then went to 50 now I'm on 75. I'm probably going to need more once my thyroid's gone so it's still going to be a while before my levels are right. I just want it to all be over so I can feel good again, it has been a while.

I am meeting with my surgeon on 5/28 and hopefully the surgery will be scheduled shortly after that.

murphy1
05-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Good luck! I have half my thyroid and am on 175 mcg. I really don't give med advice, but am now. You need to be higher I think for sure. When I was pregnant, I went up to 300 mcg. No wonder you are so tired! They started me on my first dose at 125, not that this is necessarily your case, but you sound like you might be too low. If you have Hashi, I just found out it increases the lymphoma risk, ask them about that one, too, this was news to me. Again, not that you have it, I just know I wish I knew the risk at least. Take care! We might be in the hospital at the same time now. Papillary is the absolute best to have and sounds like they are on the right track with that part, just need to get your meds straight.

azdisneymom
05-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Shari - 1991 my obgyn dr. found a lump on my thryroid so off I went for a biopsy. It was done by one our states leading drs at the time however he didn't do an ultrasound guided biopsy and the diagnosis was Hashimoto's. Fast forward to 2001, new endocrinologist who wanted to re-biopsy just because the lump had grown - Stage 1 Papillary Carcinoma. Given the fact that it had been misdiagnosed 10 years earlier and it was still stage 1 tells you exactly how slow growing it is. Within weeks I had a total thyroidectomy and a full body RAI scan. No matastisis (sp?). Praise the Lord.

I am so glad your surgery went well. Feeling tired for me was the worst part of it all and it did take a few months to feel back to normal. I take 88 mcg of Synthroid and feel good. There is an organization for thyroid cancer survivors online ThyCa.com. It is a wealth of information. (Mods - not sure if I can post the name so feel free to edit.)

Feel free to PM me anytime. I would have loved to talk to someone who has been through it but didn't know anyone.

You will be fine. Take it easy and listen to your body. I am so grateful my dr. really listens to me. I was started on 125 mcg. of Synthroid. My bloodwork would come back right in the range she wanted me in but I would have cardiac palpatations constantly. She lowered the dose until I felt good yet was still in the range she wanted. I am grateful she does not go strictly from the test results. I have had 2 RAI scans now and am still clear. Make sure yor dr. follows your bone density. It is adversly affected by thryroid replacement hormones.

My prayers are with you . :mickey:

murphy1
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
My update:

I really felt blessed to have the same dr. I did before, I wasn't very nervous. We went over my labs and he also told me he has only had one or two people with my disease come in with thyroid lymphoma in his 16 years as a surgeon, so that made me feel better. We are doing the surgery June 5, b/c the thyroid that I have left is so burned out it isn't even working anymore (most people with partial surgery don't even take meds, but mine is very high). We can then have the biopsy done on the thyroid and the two nodules (I thought there was only one, but there are two and one is an inch big stuck in my throat). I'll just be in overnight and am actually relieved b/c I don't want to go through the darn biopsies anymore and if it is anything else, we can take care of it b/c the report comes back in 3 to 5 days, I asked him if there were any red flags, he was cautiously optomistic saying not red, but yellow, he won't give me a return patient discount, darn it LOL. Thanks for your prayers again!

Shari, many continued prayers to you. And you too, azdisney, good luck with your continued journey.

Shari

sharimac
05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I'll keep sending the prayers your way, Shari. Is there a reason why they are keeping you overnight? I was home by noon the last time and she said next time it should be pretty much the same.

An inch is big! Mine was 1.6 cm. I had been having a shortness of breath for the past several months which I thought was due to weight gain from the hypothyroid. After my surgery the shortness of breath is pretty much gone, so it must have been from the nodule.

murphy1
05-14-2008, 01:22 PM
They kept me overnight to monitor my calcium levels from the parathyroid glands. I was also on a morphine drip too. I was in overnight last time too, which was good b/c I did not feel well enough to go home before I did.

wdwgrl377
05-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Much love, prayers and pixie dust! :pixie: :pixie:

SBETigg
05-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Shari, thanks for the update. I was thinking of you today. Lots more best wishes and :pixie: for the surgery.

kakn7294
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Shari / Murphy1 - best wishes for an easy surgery and a speedy recovery! I'll be thinking of you.

Shari / sharimac - are you feeling better? What's new with you health issues? I hope all is well.

Keep us updated ladies...

azdisneymom
05-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Shari / Murphy1 - best wishes for an easy surgery and a speedy recovery! I'll be thinking of you.

Shari / sharimac - are you feeling better? What's new with you health issues? I hope all is well.

Keep us updated ladies...

Thinking of both of you, too. Hope it is not long before you are out and about! :walk:

sharimac
05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Shari / sharimac - are you feeling better? What's new with you health issues? I hope all is well.I am feeling much better, just tired. I am meeting with the surgeon on 5/28 and we'll schedule the next surgery then. Thanks for asking!