PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Mumblings on Shopping Bags

Red Randal
04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
As some of you might remember from my "Rated and Reviewed" posts (which will be returning some day soon, hopefully,) my love of Disney is matched only by my ability to nitpick every detail of their creations. In this spirit, I present my "Grumpy Mumblings" on some subject of Disneyana. Basically, whenever something like this strikes my fancy I'll post it here and see if anybody actually agrees with me or if I am, as most people assume, crazy.

The idea for this post came to me yesterday as I perused the local outlet mall for a much needed new summer wardrobe. As I walked around with shopping bags from the likes of Nautica, Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer, etc. I noticed how diverse the shopping bags are and how they often perfectly reflect the store from which they came.

It was in this moment that I began to consider the generic Disney shopping bags that you recieve everywhere from the Emporium to Mouse Gear to the Beach Club gift shop to a fruit stand in the middle of Harambe. Sure, there are a few exceptions at Downtown Disney and in World Showcase, but for the most part Disney is missing out on a golden opportunity to showcase it's many diverse shopping destinations. It's odd, really, considering the amount of time and effort Disney puts into theming their parks that they would completely ignore this part of the experience.

I understand that there is a practical aspect of the generic bags, as it must be much cheaper and easier to ship boxes of the same bags to every store instead of worrying about store specific bags (much like the same napkins and cups are used in every counter service place, and the same cash register tape is used pretty much everywhere.) However, I would think that they could make a few exceptions for some instances. Maybe a specific set of bags for each park and deluxe resort? Or perhaps "specialize" only the large shopping bags?

I don't know what the "solution" to this would be. All I know is that it's kind of exciting to think about the different cool bags Disney could use in shops as diverse as Animal Kingdom's Island Mercantile, Epcot's Plaza de los Amigos, and the Polynesian Resort's BouTIKI. Instead, I just have a pile of yellow and red plastic Mickey bags from trips gone by.

Don't mind me, these are just my grumpy mumblings of the moment,

- Red Randal

biodtl
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I haven't really thought about it before. I try not to use disposable bags, but I would love to see different park logo reusable bags. I'd gladly buy one upon entering the park, or at my first purchase, and use it all day or multiple days.

TigChatt
04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I haven't really thought about it before. I try not to use disposable bags, but I would love to see different park logo reusable bags. I'd gladly buy one upon entering the park, or at my first purchase, and use it all day or multiple days.

I agree w/you on this one. Offer us reusable bags that we could always carry with us.

baby minnie's mommy
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
I like the thought of having different bags. Sounds more fun! But I think I'd prefer they keep the identical bags if it keeps costs down for me as a customer.

Regarding the reuse factor, the Disney bags are great for reusing around the house! I use them to store things in our closet. I used them to carry things in when we moved to another house, too! :mickey:

Also, if you're already carrying a Disney bag at WDW you could ask to have your next purchase put in that same bag, if big enough.

You could even try asking for an extra large bag at your first purchase, to use as much as you can the rest of your trip. (If they're short on bags, though, they may not be able to oblige.)

:shop:

Sunshine1010
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Perhaps they are using it to get 'free advertising'. You know, ...saturate Orlando, the airport, resorts, etc with the 'WDW bags'.

It's very recognizable to anyone. It puts the 'Disney' thought in your brain.

Just a thought.

Mickey91
04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I totally agree with you! I don't see Disney doing anything in that manner though. We will probably go back this year to find that the bags are yet another casualty of the generic DisneyParks logo. Soon, we won't have to worry about venturing to the different parks world wide as they will all be carbon copies of one another and have all the same merchandise with DisneyParks plastered on them. I guess it's one way Disney is going to help us save some money.:mad:

I was totally dismayed(and I have DH's permission to say so:D) that the new themepark souvenir mugs have DisneyParks on them. Oh and I am also upset that the resort mugs are generic. Seems most of the merchandise is generic and the different parks have very little to offer that is unique. It is a shame that in trying to save a buck, Disney is making their souvenirs less desirable. I truly feel that eventually, their penny pinching will cut into their bottom line. At least I hope it does!:thedolls:

cal5755
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I agree they should have different bags per park etc. I also agree it is more practical and probably cost effective to have the generic WDW bags.

I also re-use my wdw bags over and over and over again for everything. The kids love them too. They will use the bags to pack clothes in for sleep overs instead of the duffle bags we have.

dizknee531
04-24-2008, 12:44 AM
:number1:I would love to see different Disney bags. They are a souvenier in itself. It would be great to see the different specialty stores have different bags!! What a great idea!!:thumbsup:

biodtl
04-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Regarding the reuse factor, the Disney bags are great for reusing around the house! I use them to store things in our closet. I used them to carry things in when we moved to another house, too!

Also, if you're already carrying a Disney bag at WDW you could ask to have your next purchase put in that same bag, if big enough.

You could even try asking for an extra large bag at your first purchase, to use as much as you can the rest of your trip. (If they're short on bags, though, they may not be able to oblige.)

I do reuse the bags that I have but I would much prefer a bag made from cloth or recycled materials over plastic.

I bought the extra large shopping bag in the past (it was about $5), but it was SO large, it was hard to carry.

Here we go again...
04-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I was totally dismayed(and I have DH's permission to say so:D) that the new themepark souvenir mugs have DisneyParks on them. Oh and I am also upset that the resort mugs are generic. Seems most of the merchandise is generic and the different parks have very little to offer that is unique. It is a shame that in trying to save a buck, Disney is making their souvenirs less desirable. I truly feel that eventually, their penny pinching will cut into their bottom line. At least I hope it does!:thedolls:
This is one thing that bothers me to death... I vacation at DISNEY WORLD... not Disney Parks or Disney Land/Disney World. If I purchase a gift I want it to be from the park I purchased it FROM. What good does it do me to bring a gift to a friend or family member from plain old Disney... I could just go to Walmart and do that.

DDuck66
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
This is one thing that bothers me to death... I vacation at DISNEY WORLD... not Disney Parks or Disney Land/Disney World. If I purchase a gift I want it to be from the park I purchased it FROM. What good does it do me to bring a gift to a friend or family member from plain old Disney... I could just go to Walmart and do that.
:ditto: A lot of times you cannot tell the difference between the Wal-mart Merchandise and some of the generic stuff from WDW.

Donalds#1fan
04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Ok, I have actually worked for a company that produces high-end shopping bags and boxes (sephora, Oscar de la Renta, that sort of thing) I can tell you that the cost of bags isn't cheap. Multiple bag art requires a big investment at start-up, and with 4 parks, 2 waterparks, and dozens of individual shops around WDW it is cost prohibative to do that many bags. What WOULD be more reasonable is different art on each SIZE of bag. Even that, however, is an expense, and as has been mentioned it evidently isn't an expense that Disney is willing to pay.

Taja
04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Have to agree with those who would like to see resort/park specific bags--particularly reuseable ones. If they kept the prices reasonable, as the grocery stores do, I have a feeling many people would buy them, particularly at the parks.

Have to agree with horrendous upfront costs, though. Disney would do it only if the numbers make sense over a reasonable period of time.

Also have to agree that we had difficulty finding souveniers that were WDW specific last December. Since we're from Disneyland territory, we didn't want anything generic or that included Disneyland--and the items had to practical. The pickins were pretty slim! Apart from a few pins (parks & resort), I found a photo frame (didn't really like it, but there were only two--it was better of the two), ruler, and some pens (very cheap-looking pens).

Granted, there were other items, but we didn't want things because they said "WDW," they had to be practical within our lifestyles.

pink
04-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't mind that they keep the bags generic everywhere in WDW. I also think that it would be neat if they created a specific design for each resort, park, etc but like others have said it would just cost us more. :mickey:

Alligirl
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM

I completely agree with you on this! The only time I was ever lucky enough to go to Disneyland was 30 odd years ago! I go to WDW almost every year, so no offense but I want my mug, hat, frame whatever to say Walt Disney World! When (if) I am ever able to go to Disneyland I would not want something that refers to WDW!!!
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one!;)

Mickey91
04-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok, I have actually worked for a company that produces high-end shopping bags and boxes (sephora, Oscar de la Renta, that sort of thing) I can tell you that the cost of bags isn't cheap. Multiple bag art requires a big investment at start-up, and with 4 parks, 2 waterparks, and dozens of individual shops around WDW it is cost prohibative to do that many bags. What WOULD be more reasonable is different art on each SIZE of bag. Even that, however, is an expense, and as has been mentioned it evidently isn't an expense that Disney is willing to pay.

But, Disney has changed the design several times since 2000. Obviously they aren't too hard up to pay a design fee. Why not have the different bags and just not change them so often. I really don't mind always getting the same Magic Kingdom bag. But it would be really cool to have them from different parks and resorts.

JMTStone
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Has anyone noticed that the ink (or whatever) from the bags comes off on your hands, especially when using sunscreen? I got a big ol bag at BBB for DD6's dress and tried to use it for my purchases but by the end of the first day, most of the ink had come off on my hands.

Kenny1113
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Disney is missing out on a golden opportunity to showcase it's many diverse shopping destinations.
I

They don't need bags to do this...they already have the rides to do this;)

DestinationWDW
05-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I have noticed the ink on the hands JMTStone...I think I would enjoy even more than a diversity of shopping bags would be to go back "to the old days" where the shops each had unique and different items....I enjoy looking for unique Christmas tree ornaments - I am not even impressed with these recently. Only unique shopping is World Showcase. Every store and gift shop basically has every same shirt and item for sale - was it always like that or am I losing the magic?:(

*goofy'sgirls*
05-03-2008, 08:28 PM
ok on the bags. I totally agreed with the parks idea but the plastic bag issue really bugs me. So u know the reusable bags that they sell for like a dollar more at the grocery? My local disney store in NY had a similar offer and of course I jumped on it. It was alittle after the holidays for about 1.50 more I bought a vintage red color bag with a vintage mickey pic on it with the word MICKEY MOUSE along the bottom.I use the bag for everything from grocerys to shopping. Of course it regular tote size not huge but I took out the plastic rectangular bottom piece and fold it up in my purse for easy access. I haven't seen them anywhere else but they did sell out here. I think bags like that should be offered in all the stores and give us an option besides those generic plastic bags.

rumblytummy
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I LOVE the idea of the different bags. At least the different parks having one of their own, in all sizes to make it cost-justifiable. AND to have the reuseable material bags would be great!! I would prefer the material to the plastic and would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for them. But then, I tend to like fabric. I was so disappointed in the resort mugs last year, and again this year. PLEASE redesign those. I make refillable mug carriers now to cover those ugly mugs up. It started with my family, but has spread since other people have seen them around the parks. Perhaps it's time for some Disney-inspired reuseable shopping bags. I like the post about folding it up and keeping it in your purse! They could be very in weight, yet durable. It would be cool if they would come out with Disney cloth that was based on the RIDES or the individual parks!! The most creative place I know has really fallen into a slump when it comes to their merchandise. I am glad to see the people that frequent Disney are creative and like the details, as I do.

thejens
05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree about the ink melting on our hands and the need for recycled bag or light weight totes for our goodies. Maybe if Disney sees us bringing our own reusable totes to the park they will see the opportunity to sell us one. Unfortunately I think most people have no problem with disposable bags. I also agree about the merchandise and the mugs. There is no uniqueness, therefore for me, no desire to buy merchandise. However, if there were items that could ONLY be purchased, say, at the gift shop coming out of Splash, I would definitely want a souvenir. I have a tshirt with a pic of EE on it and we like to get pins for our favorite resorts or rides. I am fond of some items we purchased in the AKL that are particular to that resort. But this seems to be the rare find. The overload of the same stuff after every ride and in every resort just makes everything less special. So for me the bags are not as important. I like this "column." I myself ADORE Disney, but am probably also a natural nitpicker. I like to analyze what Disney could do better, despite the fact that I am a huge fan. But just let someone (who isn't a fan) criticize or minimize Disney to me! People think I am nuts too.

Mousemates
05-17-2008, 01:31 PM
:stop::nono::down::noway::cry: Please no to the unique bag per store idea...my disney collecting daughter and wife would likely want to start a collection...you know one from each store...my wallet isn't fat enough to handle the load.:mickey: