PDA

View Full Version : Non-Toxic Household Cleaners

mjaclyn
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
I was just wondering; how many of you out there use non-toxic cleaning supplies? I just started using Method products for some of my cleaning. I've just read too many horror stories about young children getting into cabinets and drinking poisionous cleaners. I wanted to make sure that even if she DID get into them (my cabinets are babyproofed, but still...) she wouldn't die from drinking something toxic. The only thing that worries me about non-toxic cleaners is how well they actually clean. It seems to be fine so far, but I'm worried about when I have to clean my kitchen countertops (for example) if I spill raw egg or raw chicken juice on it. It's so important to get rid of harmful bacterial that comes from raw meats...does anyone know if these non-toxic cleaners can do the job? I know they don't disinfect so I was wondering if I should still stick to the toxic (but antibacterial) Lysol cleaner that I had used before for really dirty places that may have harmful bacteria. Any thoughts?

DisneyDog
04-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I tried the Method glass cleaner and was disappointed in the results. I thought my mirrors looked just as dirty after I cleaned them. They smelled really good (like Lavendar), but didn't look clean.

Terra
04-23-2008, 04:20 PM
I try to use all natural or non-toxic myself.
I make up many of my own cleaning supplies with essential oils and vinegar/baking soda, etc.

I agree about reducing the use of non-toxic chemicals in the household. It's good all around!

I've used the method dish soap and liked it.

You can find "recipes" online for natural more non toxic cleaning products. You can just google natural cleaning products or such.

Our cabinets are baby proofed too because I worry about that as well. We do keep all of our chemicals up high also which I know is not always possible in every home. We are lucky to have some cabinets that are almost out of my reach even! :)

BrerGnat
04-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't use "natural" cleaners, but Clorox makes an all purpose spray cleaner that is NON TOXIC and safe to be ingested. It is marketed mainly towards parents with babies/toddlers. It comes in a blue bottle. It kills 99.9% of bacteria on surfaces. I use it to clean the high chair trays and the kid's toys (plastic stuff).

FYI, one of the best cleaners is white vinegar. If you mix up (in a spray bottle) a combination of 1 part table salt to 5 parts vinegar (enough vinegar to essentially dissolve the salt), that is more effective at killing bacteria than almost anything out there. Bacteria hate salt and acid and it's safe to use around food.

Mickey91
04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't usually worry about the toxicity of my cleaners, but I have a friend that is a compulsive worrier. I found while cleaning my stove that the cleaner I was using, Simple Green, was nontoxic. I immediately called her as this is one of the best products I have found that gets all the grease off the stove. :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I have tried some of the method cleaners but honestly they just did not work well. I wash my kitchen floors with Dawn antibacterial dishsoap and it works great and does not seem to leave any residue or anything. I also use the clorox anywhere spray on my counters and stuff. I think I will try the Simple Green cleaner mentioned in another post to clean my stove.