PDA

View Full Version : ADR's & Walk-ups...

Tygger7
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone! A lady I work with just returned from WDW yesterday and stopped by to give me the latest on the happenings in "the world". Her son is also a CM, so she also gives me "heads up" about the current state of all things Disney.

All that said, I wanted to pass along her experience regarding ADR's & walk up dining last week. She was waiting for her 11:30am lunch ADR at Le Cellier, along with a large group of people that had also gathered awaiting their ADR times. At 11:35am, the hostess came out and announced to the group that Le Cellier was completely booked for the day and that they would not be able to accomodate "walk ups". At this point, a woman in the crowd went nuts. She started screaming at the hostess, complaining about the fact that she had purchased the dining plan, yet this was the second time she had been turned away from a restaurant (you guessed it...as a walk up). She stormed out to go "file a complaint" with guest relations. I'm sure you all can see several things wrong with this scenario, not the least of which is trying to get a walk up table at Le Cellier. Just be prepared if you don't make ADR's that you may not be able to eat everywhere you want to, when you want to. Remember...blessed are the flexible for they shall bend and not break. :mickey:

And finally, an interesting "tidbit" that may come to pass, given the current state of the ADR/dining situations. Disney is considering taking credit cards to guarantee ALL dining reservations. The problem is many people are making multiple reservations for the same meal, and not cancelling the ones they don't use. So, the restuarants have to hold those tables even if the ADR doesn't show up. She observed this at breakfast at O'Hauna...a family was trying to get in as a walk up, and there were over 20 empty tables. When the family asked, the hostess said there were ADR's and since no one had cancelled, they couldn't release the tables. The idea being thrown around is requiring a credit card to hold ADR's and charging for "no shows". This may not come to pass, but it is being seriously considered at this point.

Just wanted to pass along the latest...
:thumbsup::D:mickey:

Taja
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
It would make more sense to release unclaimed ADR tables to walk-ups 20 minutes after the ADR time if the guests don't show. Fifteen minutes for unexpected delay, five minutes grace period, then--too bad! That's what most restaurants do.

I don't use credit/debit cards (emergencies only--and dining is not an emergency!), so if they implement CC hold, I see no visits to WDW in my future!

medic9016
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
I think you must have a credit card for the dinner shows ADR already. I would not have a problem with securing my ADR with a credit card. They would not charge anything unless you did not show up. I would still pay cash like we do now, so no big deal.

Jared
04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
I also wouldn't particularly mind if Disney started requiring a credit card hold on all dining reservations. I'm not sure how much it would help necessarily, but it's definitely an option worth exploring. The idea behind the potential rule would be to ensure guests making Advance Dining Reservations actually cancel if they will not come and stop making excess arrangements, which affects others.

Even threatening to release tables may not fix the problem, but threatening wallets might.

:tasty:

Tygger7
04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I also wouldn't particularly mind if Disney started requiring a credit card hold on all dining reservations.
Even threatening to release tables may not fix the problem, but threatening wallets might.

My feelings exactly....since they already require it for some dinner shows & restaurants (i.e. Hoop Dee Doo, Cali Grill, etc.), I wonder how much lower the rate of "no shows" are...I have to believe that if you charge for not cancelling, it would help with availability for walk ups. Another thought is that they should require a reservation number when you make your ADR's....this would prevent multiple people on the same reservation from calling in and making multiple ADR's for the same times. Not sure what the solution would be for off-property guests...

Again, nothing may ever change, but it would help everyone if there were better controls around the process. Just my :twocents:
:D

silentbob007
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
It would be nice to release those reservations, but also to give some extra leeway (or maybe a number to call) if there is an extenuating circumstance ... such as getting stuck in one of the long voids that can occasionally occur with Disney transportation.

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I think that if they require a card for every ADR and the people double booking and not showing up for a reservation then they will think twice when they are charged for not showing...I know that when we have had an ADR and were not going to keep it we called and cancelled...It doesnt time that much time to do it and it is just the right thing to do...Let them get charged...:thedolls:

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree that this is becoming more and more of an issue, with the DDP and the real need to make ADR's so far in advance.

I actually saw, on another board (gasp, yes, I read another board) a post recommending that people call back a couple of time to book multiple ADR's at the same time, if they aren't sure what they are going to feel like.

So, I think that it is a great idea to enforce some sort of penalty for no-shows, as long as Disney can get it right (I have visions of people coming, and still getting charged the no-show fee, especially if they show up a bit early or late!) It is already in place for some of the more popular ADR's.

It would be so nice if people were as nice and caring as us here on intercot (most of us call to cancel, etc), but that just isn't the real world. I don't know what they can do to stop multiple ADR's, even with requiring a phone number, people can easily get around it, and reservation numbers wouldn't work for those off-site.

It is a challenge, and I'm glad they are looking at something to improve it.

KylesMom
04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I also would have no problems whatsoever guaranteeing my ADRs with a credit card. Heck, when making my 180+10 ressies, I already gave them my cc # for the Fantasmic package. Why not just apply the number to all of my ADRs?!

We, too, witnessed some very ugly scenes last June when walk-ups were not even considered at many of the eateries we were waiting to enter with our ADRs. The amount of the abuse the CMs took was simply deplorable. As guests, it made us very uncomfortable to watch and listen to. :( I'm awfully certain that it is pasted all over the DDP information to make ADRs!

Tygger, thanks for sharing!

MOJoe
04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Disney already treats those staying on property differently from those who do not. So it makes sense to require those off property guests to make a guarantee they are coming. For resort guests the issue is more complicated. They have to eat somewhere, and may not be able to get to an ADR for many reasons, not the least being Disney Transportation.
One thing is certain. Measures are needed to prevent Disney Dining from spiriling out of control.

thrillme
04-23-2008, 04:06 PM
I really can't stand this whole thing of making ADR's MONTHS ahead of time unless there's a "special" occasion or an unusually large party.

Back in the OLD days...you made reservations the day of for lunch/dinner and the day before for breakfast.

I don't get upset but it is frusterating seeing a bunch of open tables. I can see a walk up having to wait an hour or two but...I can't even say what I'm in the mood for day by day...how can anyone figure what they want to eat 6 months out and at what time. Maybe ONE or TWO special places...sure...but some people plan breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks every single day...I'm surprised they have anytime for rollercoasters...

KylesMom
04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Back in the OLD days...you made reservations the day of for lunch/dinner and the day before for breakfast.
This will be our ninth annual trip, and we've never had success walking up to a restaurant without ADRs (and before that, PS'). Chef Mickey's, Garden Grill, Ohana, Crystal Palace, Sci-Fi, Mama Melrose - we were always turned away. I don't mind making ADRs a reasonable amount ahead of time, but I do think 180 days is excessive and just adds to the "double ADR" problem Disney is experiencing.

DestinationWDW
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Look this isn't rocket science, when someone makes an ADR you have to provide your reservation number right? Plus you still have to confirm your vacation reservation. My guess is that Disney uses an AS400 which they probably maintain and write there own applications. They just need to make a slight modification to the Dining reservation system to search the database to verify that requestor doesn’t have other ADRs. If they have an ADR within a certain time period, say 4 hoursof one another then the system should present a red flag and then the ADR requestor should have to make a decision. If the requestor can not decide which ADR they want then a credit card should be taken and if they don’t show with in say 30 minutes charge the card. The table should then be given to a walk-up.

Walk-ups are still going to have problems especially if they have large groups. Walk-ups need to take a few minutes to plan there vacation then they wouldn’t' have an issue. Disney World is a huge place with a swarm of people from all around the world with the same thought at hand, FOOD whats good and where do I get it.

I do agree if I saw 20 empty tables I would be angry, but I also take the time to do a little planning. Plans do change and I have canceled my ADR for the same or even next day, but I have always respected in giving others a chance to take my table accordingly. People today have no concern for fellow beings, most people only care about themselves and are the first to complain when they don’t get there way.

Sorry for the rant it wasn’t meant to be one.

Seasonscraps
04-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Look this isn't rocket science, when someone makes an ADR you have to provide your reservation number right? Plus you still have to confirm your vacation reservation. My guess is that Disney uses an AS400 which they probably maintain and write there own applications. They just need to make a slight modification to the Dining reservation system to search the database to verify that requestor doesn’t have other ADRs. If they have an ADR within a certain time period, say 4 hoursof one another then the system should present a red flag and then the ADR requestor should have to make a decision. If the requestor can not decide which ADR they want then a credit card should be taken and if they don’t show with in say 30 minutes charge the card. The table should then be given to a walk-up.

You don't need a reservation number to make an ADR unless you are booking 180+10 as a resort guest. In all other instances, you need to provide a phone number or reservation number. Between home, cell, work for DH & I - we can provide 7 valid phone numbers plus the reservation number. We would never make 8 sets of ADRs but this is where there is room for crazy abuse.

I hate to see that credit cards would be required to make and ADR but I can't think of another way to help stop people from doubling up on ADRs.

I do agree with the poster above that said making ADRs 180 days out is too far in advance. Perhaps if people didn't need to decide 6 months in advance, it would be an easier desicion?? I also don't see any reason to hold a table longer then 30 minutes for a no show/late arrival.

Magic Smiles
04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
I just wonder how long a restaurant in the 'real world' hold tables for reservations that appear to be no shows? Personally holding the table for even 30 minutes is too long, as this would backlog all the guests booked for that table. IMHO 10 minutes would be max, then give the table to a walk up. It's not like you don't know that you have a reservation to get to.
I think giving a CC would cut down a lot on the abuse of double bookings, changing your mind without cancelling.

Jared
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I think canceling a reservation after just 10 minutes is a little harsh, especially at Walt Disney World. The transportation system is often confusing and unpredictable, and many guests are unaware how to properly use it. It seems unfair to automatically release a reserved table to because a family didn't know how to reach a certain resort or that it takes two monorails to reach the Magic Kingdom is from Epcot or the World Showcase restaurants are 25 minutes away from the park's main gate.

Mickey91
04-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I really can't stand this whole thing of making ADR's MONTHS ahead of time unless there's a "special" occasion or an unusually large party.

I don't get upset but it is frusterating seeing a bunch of open tables. I can see a walk up having to wait an hour or two but...I can't even say what I'm in the mood for day by day...how can anyone figure what they want to eat 6 months out and at what time. Maybe ONE or TWO special places...sure...but some people plan breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks every single day...I'm surprised they have anytime for rollercoasters...
That's getting a bit personal. It really isn't hard to plan where you will eat while at WDW. I guess I'm not self absorbed enough to really care if I eat steak tonight or fish n chips. I'm just excited to be at "The World" and that I get to eat at any WDW TS restaurant. With my plans made well in advance I can look forward to every single moment of dining and be happy I'll be in one of my favorite restaurants in 128 days!

dismommy
04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
What is upsetting currently is the the amount of abuse the CM's seem to be taking, they did not put the ADR system into place and they are not at fault for there being no room at the inn or for not being able to seat you at reserved tables people haven't bothered to show up for. Improvements of some kind have to be made to the system over all.

katzctkpt
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
It would make more sense to release unclaimed ADR tables to walk-ups 20 minutes after the ADR time if the guests don't show. Fifteen minutes for unexpected delay, five minutes grace period, then--too bad! That's what most restaurants do.

I don't use credit/debit cards (emergencies only--and dining is not an emergency!), so if they implement CC hold, I see no visits to WDW in my future!

What do people do if they don't have a credit/debit card? I have family members that won't apply for credit and when the bank tried to give them a debit card they took it back to the bank and had them destroy it. (They're old school) everything is paid for in cash and if you don't have the $$ you save before you buy.

Mickey'sGirl
04-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I hate to see that credit cards would be required to make and ADR but I can't think of another way to help stop people from doubling up on ADRs.I agree....especially during free dining. Some of the guidebooks actually recommend making multiple reservations too! People tend to get a little inconsiderate when their "magical holiday" is at stake. I think a credit card reservation is a good idea. It wont be a problem for the regular consumer, provided they show up for the ADR they have made.

Bohms4
04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
This past week we saw CM's turn away walk ups for Tony's Town Square saying that they won't even accept walk ups. Also at Big River Grille & Brewing Works, the walk up wait was 90 mins to 2 hours at 7:45pm. Crazy....
I don't mind making ADRs 180 days before. I would rather do that then make them the day of - then I would be stressing on vacation as to whether or not I would be able to eat at my favorite place. Not good....

joonyer
04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
What do people do if they don't have a credit/debit card? I have family members that won't apply for credit and when the bank tried to give them a debit card they took it back to the bank and had them destroy it. (They're old school) everything is paid for in cash and if you don't have the $$ you save before you buy.

I guess the same they would do if they try to rent a car without a CC. No credit card, No car rental. ;)
A CC policy for ADR would affect very few people who are able to afford to visit WDW and the benefit of such a policy to many many people would outweigh the detriment to the very few people who wouldn't be able to get ADR without a CC. Yes, that is unfair to those people, but the current rules allowing abuse of the ADR system are unfair to a great many more people. Choosing to live without having a credit card may have some benefits, but it is a choice that costs one convenience in many places and transactions in the world. This would be just one of those conveniences you would choose to not have by electing not to own any credit cards.