PDA

View Full Version : Flying first class ?

Mulan
04-23-2008, 08:22 AM
We have flown alot in coach, but an upcoming vacation to Jamaica we will be flying first class. Since this will be the first time, what can we expect? Our party is big enough that we have taken all first class seats and this is a Northwestern flight. If anyone can give me some insight, the kids want to know what will happen.

Thanks!

JPL
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
It's basically a bigger seat,much better service(more flight attendants per customer), usually a full meal instead of just a snack, free beverages of all kinds. Overall it's not really worth the extra money and I would only consider flying First class again on a much longer flight like California so I can really enjoy the service more. The few time I have flown first class it wa son short flights like NY to Orlando.

kakn7294
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I haven't been in first-class in 15 years and it was on USAirways (USAir back then) but I do remember that it was cushier (nicer seats, roomier), quieter, and the service was better with free drinks, snacks, and a full meal. We were also offered hot towels to wash up and had much nicer blankets and pillows as opposed to those dinky little things in coach.

Wells
04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
More room, more comfortable seats, less noise, "free" beverages (but no Kaluha on Northwest:() better food and snacks (Dove bars!) and most importantly........Real plates, glasses, cups and silverware! (no sporks allowed):D
Probably not worth the extra cost to most, but it sure is nice! :cloud9:The disadvantage is that the flight seems waay too short!

Baloo Da Man!
04-23-2008, 03:37 PM
It also depends upon the type of airplane. On overseas flights on the jumbos, the seats are huge and almost fully recline. There is so much food you gain weight before you land. My favorite thing on one Delta flight was the sundae cart, from which the flight attendant made my sundae in front of me to my specifications. Those flights remind me of the Seinfeld episode.

Then again, on some of the smaller domestic plane, the first class just means priority boarding, a little bigger seat and more food.

If you have a layover, try to find the special club for first class in the airport . More free food and drinks and comfortable seats - JFK has free massage seats! Even shower facilities in some.

Have fun.

MNNHFLTX
04-26-2008, 12:38 PM
As everyone has mentioned, first class usually means a wider (more comfortable) seat with more leg room, free drinks and better food served with real plates and cutlery (and after the meals the infamous hot towel service). It also means getting on first (of course) and more attention from flight attendants.

I have never been in first class on a Northwest flight, but have had the luck to be upgraded several times on Continental flights (due to my husband's frequent-flier participation). It really is a nice perk if you can get it. After flying economy class to England last year, I definitely want to go first class the next time we fly internationally. We will probably use our frequent flier miles for upgrades, as the more comfortable seat and leg room would surely be appreciated there!