PDA

View Full Version : Great Movie Ride - wait times?

Gregandmel
04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Has anyone done the Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios? Is this something that usually has a long wait, or can you get on it fairly easily? We are going Sunday October 5th in the late afternoon/early evening and I'm trying to strategize - it's the EMH in the evening and we plan on seeing the 9pm Fantasmic Show. I figured the area where Tower of Terror & Rock n Rollercoaster might be too busy at that time, we'll try to hit it when the 7:30 show is playing. Wondered if anyone had thoughts on the ride itself. WE have an 8 year old and 17 year old (both boys), Thanks!

GoofeyAtDisney
04-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Im 16, and a boy, and I LOVE the Great Movie Ride! Cant go to MGM (or whatever its called now) without riding it!

It seems that they are closed for technicle difficulties everytime I want to ride, but when I do get it line, it varies from 5 to 20 minutes. It also depends on what time of day you want to ride it.

Also, if you dont like waits, this queue (I think thats how you spell it) has some entertainment playing at all time (dont wanna spoil it) so dont worry about being bored!

Anyways, enjoy your trip! :mickey:

cal5755
04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
GOOFEYATDISNEY said it perfectly. We go in Sept and have never had more than a 20 minute wait. Have Fun!!

katzctkpt
04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Last of June we had a 30 minute wait pretty early in the day. I don't think you'll have that long. From what I've read Oct has low crowds.

JMTStone
04-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Your wait should be short and should not be missed by boys that age!!! (Or 38 year old women, apparently as I go every time)

Mickey91
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
We love it! It is a must see for us! The wait times vary and we have seen a pretty hefty line at times. If all the line is inside the building, you shouldn't have to wait more than 20 mins. Once it spills outside the wait times go up.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Yup, what they said!;)

A must do for us every trip. We have only seen the line outside of the building once. That was this past September and we still waited. The wait time did not seem overly long to us. Once you are inside the building it is cool and there are lots of things to look at, so the wait time is not so bad.

Don't miss it!

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
We have not had to wait too long...I will say that it is worth the wait...I liked waiting and watching the older movie clips...

GrmGrninGost
04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
GMR is my favorite ride at MGM! (I know they changed the name, but I like MGM) I wouldn't think the lines would be longer than 15-20 minutes, but if people are backed up outside the building, the line will be a lot longer than that! Usually if the line is long you can come back later and it will be shorter.

Jared
04-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Despite all the fancy and expensive additions to Disney's Hollywood Studios, The Great Movie Ride, an old classic, is still probably my favorite attraction in the park. It is a perfect dark ride, even if it is a little outdated now. We've talked a lot on the boards about how it desperately needs an upgrade, but we shouldn't lose sight of how it wonderful it is nonetheless.

Traditionally, The Great Movie Ride is the first attraction my family visits in the morning, but the wait is never too long, even in the middle of the day. There are classic trailers playing in the queue area, so it's actually fun to wait for a while.

:tasty:

Gregandmel
04-22-2008, 11:17 PM
You guys are great! Thanks so much for the insight on this. We were sort of on the fence, but now we will definitely make it part of our day there. And VERY good to know about if the line is "outside". Thanks again!!

wdwgrl377
04-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I just love The Great Movie Ride! It's a classic to me as well. It's a MUST on my list! I've never had to wait a long, long time to ride this in all my times going. Watching the movie clips, in the queue before riding is so neat!

I love the CM's during the ride, the atmosphere in the ride is just great!

You will have a great time seeing this!! :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
04-23-2008, 02:59 AM
If you like the movies, then you will like the Great Movie Ride! I've seen waits anywhere from 10 to 50 minutes. Depends on when you are visiting, and what time of day it is.

DisneyDog
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
No one should miss this ride. In my opinion, it sets the tone for your visit to this park. It's as if getting on this ride enters you in the magical world of movies. It's a must-see:thumbsup: