PDA

View Full Version : Car Seats on Southwest

Lucyrella
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Has anyone taken a carseat with them on SW? We are trying to decide whether to take our carseats to help eliminate a cost with a rental car, plus the girls would be more comfortable on the plane, or maybe just check them, or not take them at all. I have a sit n stroll that would be perfect for our youngest, then just a booster seat for our almost 5 year old. Was just wondering what experiences you have had. I will search the SW website and see what I can find. Thanks for your input!:plane:

dw2649
04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I've seen people take carseats on Southwest. As long as the carseat is approved by the FAA for use in flight (see: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/ for more information to find out if yours is approved ) you should have no problem using the seat. Also, I believe that children might be more comfortable if they are in a car seat that they are familiar with.

Hope this helps

Lucyrella
04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
thanks for the info, our seats are definitely FAA approved, one of them has been to China and back....LOL. One thing we found when traveling abroad is that the seat size on the plane can differ and not give you the room you need for the car seat. We have a sit n stroll and a booster seat.

Thanks so Much! I am so glad we have summer in front of our trip, much more to do while waiting for our trip!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I have brought my daughter's car seat on our SW flights the past three years. It is a Century booster with a 5 point harness. Not sure what model, I only use it for travel since her Britax Regent that is in our car is WAY to heavy and large for an airplane.
My daughter was just shy of 4 in September for our last trip and I felt so much better having her safely in her car seat since I am not a fan of flying. I would put my 8 and 10 year old sons in car seats on the plane if I could!:blush:
She stayed put, only got out of her seat to use the bathroom.
Each of the flights we have been on we have been asked to put her on the window seat. They also checked for the FAA sticker before we belted it in.
We always try to get an A boarding pass, which we have lucked out in getting each trip. It is much easier to get the car seat on the plane and belted in before the plane is full.

HTH

chick20679
04-23-2008, 08:52 AM
thanks for the info, our seats are definitely FAA approved, one of them has been to China and back....LOL. One thing we found when traveling abroad is that the seat size on the plane can differ and not give you the room you need for the car seat. We have a sit n stroll and a booster seat.

If you have travelled with both seats before, you should be all set. (some booster seats are not FAA approved)

SW flys B737s, so you shouldn't have any problem fitting your car seats.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

onjbj
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Each of the flights we have been on we have been asked to put her on the window seat.

That's interesting b/c when we fly SW with our twins and their carseats, they told us no carseats at the window seats, only the middle seat. That was last summer. They said it was a safety regulation.

TheMartellFamily
04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Ok all flights we have been on carseats were to be placed by the window.

Lucyrella
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the info, I looked up the size of the seats on "seatguru.com" and they are
17" so we are in good shape. We will probably just go ahead and take them and since it is a non stop flight just try to take one carryon for all of us. I think that should work out the best. I am so ready to go!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
That's interesting b/c when we fly SW with our twins and their carseats, they told us no carseats at the window seats, only the middle seat. That was last summer. They said it was a safety regulation.

Yup, we have always been told to put the car seat in the window seat.
Here is a pic of my daughter in September:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d707b3127ccebc9164de729a00000025108Act2bly4btb
:)

teambricker04
04-23-2008, 03:54 PM
That is interesting that someone told you to put your seat in the middle! They should always be by the window so everyone can get out in an emergency.

I always make sure I can locate the tag that says my carseat is FAA approved. Some flight crew ask and some don't. Some check and make sure it is in, and some don't. Better to know what your doing before someone who doesn't really know makes a fuss.

seatguru is neat isn't it?!?!

Another option is to use the CARES system in planes. The only thing is they only fit children up to 40 inches tall and my 3yo is already 42 inches! It is IMPOSSIBLE to even use any kind of carseat for him on the plane. He does pretty well at sitting and staying buckled up. I am always nervous of him flying out of his seat though!