PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Contemporary in Nov. 2009

Jodileigh
04-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm really excited b/c DH has finally agreed to take another Disney trip with us! After the disasterous trip in 2002 (let's just say the combination of two young children (2 and 7 at the time), my dad (don't EVEN get me started!), and dh who is ADD (though he is treated now and MUCH better, at that time it was really bad!) the trip was certainly NOT the magical adventure I had hoped so fervently for. DH and I had gone to DW on our honeymoon in 1993, but not since. I had taken my oldest son to DL and DW with my parents and had a great time. I'm the disney girl from a young age, though. Anyway, after THAT trip, dh really had no interest in going back with the boys. He has a terrible fear of them getting lost.... So, the last two trips have been with my mil and this one is just the boys and I. HOWEVER, a month or two ago, dh said he wanted to try DW again with us! Actually, he considered going in August with us, but his schedule won't work. So, we're planning for next Nov. Since the boys will be 14 and 9 by then, he thinks he will be fine since they both will have cell phones. But he wanted to go when he could see the Christmas stuff and he wants to stay at a monorail resort. Contemporary is the most affordable of those! And Jeff loves how the monorail goes right through it! So, I'm aiming for that. Since the amex airline pts should cover our airfare, I can prob swing the upgrade from mod to deluxe. So tell me, what do you think about Contemporary?? Any location I should request a room in? Is it worth the extra $$? I'm just so excited that he wants to go again and I want everything to be exactly what he wants so maybe this trip will be more magical than the 2002 one!:mickey:

Jodi

Mulan
04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Alot of people will say to stay in the Tower. I booked a room in the North Garden Wing. Before I got there I was scared that I made a mistake and convinced that we were going to have a bad time. Believe it or not, our room was GREAT! We were first floor, so we were close to the parking lot. Meaning that walking to MK took no time at all. At night we were able to open our sliding dors and watch the fireworks. The kids even laid in bed and watched them. With our location, we were able to walk in the north end of the main building right into the food court within mintues. This was great when coming back at night and having fewer steps with two tired children. I'm sure the towers are better, but I would not hesitate to stay in the NGW again.

LisRich
04-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I've heard many positives about the garden wing too but haven't stayed there so can't speak about it. Our family has stayed the last two years in the tower w/a Magic Kingdom view and it is far away the very best place to be anywhere (IMO)! The renovations are wonderful, the convenience of being on the monorail and walking distance to MK is great and there are lots of great eating options there. We considered the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian, and while I know there are many who consider those their favorites, I'm sure your husband and boys will prefer the Contemporary in theme and convenience. I promise you will LOVE it!!!!!

Janet89
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I was thinking that I read one of the garden wings was demolished. I was thinking it was the North.:confused: Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in!

My DH is not a :mickey: fan, so I am planning a trip and he can tag along if he wants. Contemporary is on my list, too!

wdwfansince75
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Since the North Tower has been demolished, your choices are the South Wing or the main building. Either is a great place. Rooms are more than large enough for four. Most rooms have two Queens and a day bed which is certainly large enough for the 9 year old. By November, the game room will be back up and operating...on the concourse level. Consider MK view.....great for just relaxing, and a great view of Wishes.....And ifother monorail hotels will be in full Christmas decor, they will be easy to visit....and you can get to the EPCOT resorts via the monorails, and a short walk through the park.

The buses from CR to DHS and AK are frequent, and rarely crowded...they do stop at Poly and GF on their way to the parks, so plan an hour for wait and ride....usually less than that, never longer.....

If you are there during the Christmas season, plan on at least one evening at DTD....and the kids would love Disney Quest.

Jodileigh
04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all your input!! It's always exciting to try a new resort, but a little scary, too! But I'm really looking forward to this! Your info has been a WORLD of help! Thanks again!!

Jodi

Nekochan
04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
FWIW - I stayed at All Star Sports one year, and the poly the next. I try to be frugal when I can, but the extra bucks for the convenience of the monorail can not be beat. I prefer the theme and decor of the poly, but I would stay at the Contemporary if that's what could afford, just for the monorail. Paying extra to stay on a monorail is worth every single penny.