PDA

View Full Version : flying Allegiant with 21 mo. old - ID question

DmoDisney
04-22-2008, 12:29 PM
We are flying Allegiant in 3 days to WDW (yay!). As were reviewing confirmations for all our reservations, my wife read in the fine print on Allegiant's website that they "recommend" for children between 14-24 months a valid birth certificate. We don't fly very often and the last time we flew with my oldest daughter (she was closer to 15 months) we had no problems and no one asked us for her BC. We do not have in our possession our 21 month old's BC. Our options at this point are to drive six hours round trip to the capitol to get the BC (not enough time to get it mailed) or to show up at the airport with the letter of birth we have from the hospital and hope they don't ask or hope for the best.
Anyone have any experience (esp. w/ Allegiant) where you were required to show a BC for your young child? If you didn't have one were you required to pay for a seat?

thanks!

teambricker04
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
We have never flown with either of our sons birth certs. Ever, on any airline. I tend not to want to bring them because of identity theft, and my own paranoia. But... I have never flown on Allegiant. My DH works for a major airline, and it isn't common for them to request it. I would imagine that the letter from the hospital would be fine. You should call and make sure with the airline.

Side note... I would love to hear how your flight on Allegiant goes! We always like to fly different airlines.

Have a fun trip!!!:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
1) It is not the airline that wants an ID.
2) It is TSA at the screening station.
3) Although they let under-16 go without ID, you just never know.

TSA=
Thousands Standing Around
Truly Stupid Activities
Take Scissors Away

DmoDisney
04-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I guess the airline's incentive to want birth certificates is to prevent families with children older than 2 from abusing the system, otherwise they could be losing a seat to a child that is technically older than 2. I suppose it happens on occasion. We are going to have the letter from the hospital and also her immunization record. Hopefully the agent won't be a "Cruella" and get our vacation off on the wrong foot!

teambricker04
04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
1) It is not the airline that wants an ID.
2) It is TSA at the screening station.
3) Although they let under-16 go without ID, you just never know.

TSA=
Thousands Standing Around
Truly Stupid Activities
Take Scissors Away

This is from the TSA site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/index.shtm):
We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint (children are not required to show identification). The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening.

Personally, I have never had an issue with TSA regarding children's ID. This shouldn't be an issue with TSA.

I have a couple of really tall kids, and I can see how it would be confusing to tell how old they are. I am sure you are right, that people try to get away with having older kids on laps.

You leave soon and I am jealous:envy:! The countdown is on for us... a little over a week. Hooray!