PDA

View Full Version : Mom (and Dad) Friendly Businesses

BrerSchultzy
04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
We were talking about this at work yesterday, and I started thinking about it...there really are some companies that just "get it", and cater to moms really well. Obviously Disney has recognized the importance of moms, with the Moms club and the incredible amenities in the parks for moms of young 'uns.

So I thought I'd ask Intercot folk for suggestions on other companies that go out of their way for moms...I'd like to know about them so that I can tell my lovely bride all about them (we have a 4 month old, so we're just figuring all this stuff out). And I'll look cool the next time this comes up at work!

offwego
04-22-2008, 10:07 AM
One thing that has really changed is malls and the "family" restrooms (both Mom & Dad friendly). Can't recall those being around when we were little.

I also think some clothing stores are more family oriented then others. (In Canada Sears and Zellers both have warranty offers for clothes wearing out before they are grown out)

In general though it's often more local companies that make an effort then really big multinationals.

meldan98
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
IKEA is another one. They have the family restrooms and little sinks for the little ones. I wish more places had little sinks.

BrerGnat
04-22-2008, 02:14 PM
IKEA also has that awesome play area where you can drop off your kids while you shop! It's for older, potty trained kids, but it's awesome!

I would have to say that the malls in general are getting more "mom friendly" with the nice private lounges for mom and baby (where moms of babies can nurse in private in a nice couch and there are usually toys to occupy older siblings). Most of the malls I've seen these at are "high end" and these rooms are ONLY for moms, not dads (they're mainly for nursing moms, but I used to go in there to have a nice place to change my babies and feed them in quiet).

WDW and Disneyland, obviously.

buzznwoodysmom
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
All of the Babys R Us and Toys R Us stores in my area have "Expecting Mother's" parking right along side the handicapped parking. Not helpful for new moms, but great for expecting moms.

Gooftroop5
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd have to agree with the others the malls are getting more "mom" friendly. My dh has mentioned a few places that he has taken ds into that have lower stuff for ds to use.

Wegman's grocery stores are getting more kid friendly they have stools for kids to stand on to wash their hands.

Also more stores like Target have "family bathrooms" back by the pharmacy.

Its not a store but a good side note for dad friendlier place. Our church put a baby changing table in the unisex handicapped bathroom so dad's can change their children. It started when I was singing in the choir & the only changing table was in the ladies room. Dh didn't have anywhere other than in the public to change dd. They couldn't put it in the men's room because there was no room so they did the other bathroom so dad's could too. It has been used a lot.

I feel "dad" friendly are just as important as mom & children friendly.

Flower
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Our local community centres all offer a family changeroom, which is SO nice when DH and I try to take our 2 boys (4 yrs & 1.5 yrs) swimming.

So many stores here offer the new mom/expectant parking, even Home Depot. :baby:

My 4 year old LOVES the mini shopping carts at the grocery store, not to mention the free cookies they give out to the kids; and the 'car' carts at the larger stores. A happy child is a happy mom!

I wish more stores would install the handicap door buttons - they are super handy for a new mom pushing a stroller and toting a toddler too! And several stores on our main street in town still have steps leading to their door - if I can't get there with a stroller, how the heck are people in wheelchairs supposed to shop there? Anyway :offtopic:

Ian
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Huh ... I'm surprised to hear people saying malls are family friendly.

Does no one else besides me have issues with stores overcrowding their floor space and making it near impossible to navigate with a stroller?

Our local Disney Store and our mall's Gymboree are both so jam packed with merchandise racks that there are literally stroller traffic jams. It's one of my biggest pet peeves, the need retailers feel to pack every single square inch of their stores with merchandise. Not only is it annoying to move around, but the amount of merchandise is often such a jumbled, disorganized mess than I get frustrated and leave without buying anything.

Flower
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Ian, I totally agree that the stores overcrowd, but I think the malls themselves are becoming more friendly in that they offer the family washrooms and breast feeding rooms - ours even has a little mini toilet for the kids! I wish ours had a play area though.

meldan98
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I hate the overcrowding of the floor space. At the William Sonoma Store, I actually rammed my stroller by accident into one of the displays and knocked over an entire display. Thank goodness only one thing broke. The manager was so sweet and actually apologized to me. She said that corporate just doesn't understand the layouts and how horrible they are for strollers and wheelchairs to navigate around them. I thought I would have to pay for the broken item, but she said, it was the 4th time that week that it had been knocked over, so she hoped that corporate would finally get the message.

I love the family bathrooms at the malls with the small potties. My dh can go to the mall and take our dd to bathroom without having to shield her eyes and make all the men in the restroom uncomfortable.