PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy to even consider this?

aurorafan
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm looking at flights for our Dec. trip. AirTran has a good price of $656 for the 4 of us roundtrip nonstop, but I'm thinking Jetblue may have a better price when they release their Dec. schedule. But I like AirTran's return flight schedule better than the JetBlue one (at least of the flights they have going to Orlando right now), and the Jetblue flight schedule for going down is more to my liking. So I'm wondering if/how it would work to get one-way tickets for the flights I like (JetBlue going down and Airtran coming back). I've always used one airline roundtrip before because it was easier/more convenient--are there any drawbacks to doing it this way?

TIA!

MMouse6937
04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
OK, you're crazy!! ;)

Just kidding, but it does sound very confusing to me. I like to just be on the same airline, same thing, both ways. If you think it's going to be a better deal for you in the long run, I would go for it. Now, keep in mind with fuel prices they are talking about airfare going higher, etc. Sounds like you might have a pretty good deal as is for 4 of you, but you'll have to decide what type of gamble you want to take. Good luck no matter what you do!! :thumbsup:

nls721
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
If you don't get bad weather in December, I wouldn't worry about it and just do two different carriers. It's really not a big deal. It's not like you need JetBlue for anything once your in FL - and if they do misroute your bags, you'll get them regardless :) I've flown different carriers numerous times.
The only stipulation would be if you get bad weather. I live in WI. In the winter, I can't risk doing two different carriers. Because if I just do a long weekend someplace and my flight out is canceled on a Friday for example, I have to be rebooked, usually the next day or sometimes 2 days later. Then, if I'm returning home on a Sunday, I'm outa luck because that ticket is a different carrier that isn't weather effected. But, if it were all on the same carrier, then they'd rebook both my departure and return.

kakn7294
04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
The first time we flew in recent years, I considered it as well between Southwest (better prices) and USAirways (better return flights). Fortunately for me, before I bought the tickets, SW came out with additional flights that were both better priced and had great times but to fly on separate airlines would be no big deal for us. You still have the same information to keep track of for any airline - reservation numbers and / or tickets, boarding passes, etc. The only other issue is remembering which airline you are using for which flight (and the ticket in your hand should be a big hint! :thumbsup:)

javamama
04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
IMO book now, w/oil prices the way they are fares are going to go up sky high they said in the paper sunday and with all the airlines merging. Get it while it's good, and I'm an airline employee.

Bringonthemouse!
04-23-2008, 08:49 AM
IMO book now, w/oil prices the way they are fares are going to go up sky high they said in the paper sunday and with all the airlines merging. Get it while it's good, and I'm an airline employee.

:ditto:
This morning, many news reports were regarding fuel costs and steadily increasing flight prices over the next few months.:(

scootch713
04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I booked our mid november trip down airtran at $79. The flight I wanted was 935am, theirs is 1025 am... I figured for 50 min later.. it was worth grabbing the cheaper fair(even though I preferred to go on the 935 flight) But their flight back, also $79 the latest flight is 1pm... Southwest has a 8pm flight, which would give us another day in the world.... so I am going to wait for southwest. I guess I am taking my chances waiting, but it is worth it to me to have almost a whole day to go to the park(9-4pm) instead of none.

TinkerbellT421
04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I booked our mid november trip down airtran at $79. The flight I wanted was 935am, theirs is 1025 am... I figured for 50 min later.. it was worth grabbing the cheaper fair(even though I preferred to go on the 935 flight) But their flight back, also $79 the latest flight is 1pm... Southwest has a 8pm flight, which would give us another day in the world.... so I am going to wait for southwest. I guess I am taking my chances waiting, but it is worth it to me to have almost a whole day to go to the park(9-4pm) instead of none.

Well keep in mind that, no matter how late your flight is, if your using disney transport to get back to the airport they have certain times that they pick u up and drop u off. I know ours the last two years has been a 3pm pick up at the hotel, and our flight was 7:45pm each time too. So just keep that in mind. But I would wait for southwest. Those are the same times we fly too, we prefer them. I dont think your crazy, I think on the same wave length lol :D

katzctkpt
04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Have you checked with Allegiant Air? Don't know if they're in your area but, out of Greensboro NC they're showing $39 one way.

scootch713
04-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Well keep in mind that, no matter how late your flight is, if your using disney transport to get back to the airport they have certain times that they pick u up and drop u off. I know ours the last two years has been a 3pm pick up at the hotel, and our flight was 7:45pm each time too. So just keep that in mind. But I would wait for southwest. Those are the same times we fly too, we prefer them. I dont think your crazy, I think on the same wave length lol :D

yea..the past years our pickuptime has always been 3 hours before the flight. So figured we will be picked up around 5pm, so we can stay in MK till about 4pm(then just back to WL) HOpeflly they will sleep on the plane :cloud9:

Jodileigh
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
If it were me, I'd book NOW! With gas prices going up as we head towards summer, finding lower fares may be hit or miss, if available at all. It sounds like a good fare already (I paid $700 for the boys and I on airtran a while back b/c we're flying out of Wichita and I am THRILLED with that!), and waiting could end up costing you more in the long run. Some folks are lucky with the waiting game, but I've never been! Good luck whatever you do!

Jodi