PDA

View Full Version : New Member Q's

OhToodles!
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
On average how long does the process of buying a membership take?
When can you book your first vacation? (I'm assuming right away if inside the 11 months.)
At AKV: are there 2 or 3 bathrooms in a 2 bedroom? Are 1 and 2 bedrooms available currently?

Thanks!

hlkeck
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
It took awhile for the membership to be complete. I'd say 3 months or so, but some of that was my fault not getting the docs returned quicker. They were pretty great with us, however, and we didn't have any of the problems some other people have posted.

We are booked in a 1 bedroom at AKL this September, so yes, they're available.

We were able to book IMMEDIATELY for our next vacations. We even took a vacation before all of our documents were totally and completely finished...:secret: We had closed, but we hadn't gotten a single bill yet.

My only caveat that was a bit of an issue (although they took care of everything in true Disney class), if you take the developer points incentive for a free vacation -- you cannot book those points 11 months out, even if you're combining them with your AKL '08 points, for example. You have to use them at 6 months out only - and I let a CM talk me into using my '07 and '08 points at 11 mos out, and he told me to call back and 'switch' it to the other points when I was w/i 6 months. WELL, they don't do that...I would have had to cancel my reservation completely and then rebook the reservation -- in my case, I would have gone to the end of a waitlist.

JUST A BIG FYI. Disney helped me figure something out that would work for our family, but they won't do it at the expense of another member who's waiting for that space, so be aware....

OhToodles!
04-21-2008, 01:57 PM
My only caveat that was a bit of an issue (although they took care of everything in true Disney class), if you take the developer points incentive for a free vacation -- you cannot book those points 11 months out, even if you're combining them with your AKL '08 points, for example. You have to use them at 6 months out only - and I let a CM talk me into using my '07 and '08 points at 11 mos out, and he told me to call back and 'switch' it to the other points when I was w/i 6 months. WELL, they don't do that...I would have had to cancel my reservation completely and then rebook the reservation -- in my case, I would have gone to the end of a waitlist.

So if we wanted to use our 'developer' points (if we get them) for our October trip it shouldn't be a problem since it's within 6 months? We're already booked for October, but if we go through with this I'd rather use the points if possible.

hlkeck
04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
You can use the developer points immediately if you're within the time frame. We were able to go to Vero instead with the points during a time that we were able to go - and I booked that 4 mos out or so...

Actually - it might even be 7 months...don't know why I keep saying 6 months. Either way, use those first because THEY EXPIRE IN 1 YEAR.

Kidsmom
04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
We started our DVC process last Sept. and closed in December. We booked our trip with incentive points at the 7 month window (Oct)for our april break and were able to get a 2 bedroom villa at AKL. We pushed our 07 points to 08 and will go again next Feb.

Regarding your bathroom questions.....In the Jambo House (the current building) the 2 bedroom DVC's have 2 bathrooms. (one in the studio and one in the 1 bedroom).

I believe that in the new building that is under construction there will be 3 bathrooms in the 2 bedroom villas (one in the studio and 2 in the one bedroom portions) Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

We have been very happy!