PDA

View Full Version : Which restaurant..........????????

DisneyBunch
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Based on reviews here on the forum, which restaurant do you actually like/ dislike despite what others say, and why?
I have seen a great majority rave about California Grill, but we didn't like it. My family didn't care for the food that they served. There was nothing wrong with the quality, we just didn't care for the selection.
50's Primetime has been rated from good to bad, but we eat there every trip. We have never had a bad experience at 50's, and my family loves the atmosphere/ interaction during our meal.
If there is one thing I have learned from this forum, it is not to completely disregard what others say, but do not let others opinions be the determining factor whether you eat or not eat somewhere. I love hearing what others have to say, but it is the details of their experience that interest me the most. The only thing that everyone from the forum definitely has in common is a love of "all things Disney." :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
If there is one thing I have learned from this forum, it is not to completely disregard what others say, but do not let others opinions be the determining factor whether you eat or not eat somewhere. I love hearing what others have to say, but it is the details of their experience that interest me the most.:mickey:

I agree 100% with this statement. For every question, there will be several differing opinions. You really do need to read through them and decide for yourself. Personally, we have had several bad experiences at Coral Reef and won't go back there again. But we have friends who love it. You can't always take the opinions to heart!!

IceCreamlover
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Artist Point was a disappointment for me, especially the Berry Cobbler.
A major disappointment was Tony's Town Square, my fish was raw (as in not cooked nearly enough & I like fish cooked rare- this was inedible.)
It's not in Disney, but Universal, Emeril's Tchoup Tchop seems to be hit or miss for food & service.

the real Alice
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes there are many varied opinions, which is good. However sometimes it can make your choices confusing :mickey:
It seems almost everyone on here love Boma. We tried it last year and really didn't care for it. It wasn't that we didn't like the different African foods, we just didn't think the overall quality was very good. We also didn't like the zebra domes... I'll probably be banned now :D

joonyer
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
There are usually a lot of folks who give bad reviews on the Sci-Fi Dine-In on these boards, but we have eaten there several times (always at lunch) and have always had very good food. We stick to Burgers and sandwiches, and the onion rings and milkshakes are GREAT, as good as you will get anywhere, in or out of WDW. WE will definitely go back every chance we get.

On the other hand, we were disappointed when we had dinner at 50's Prime-Time Cafe after reading lots of rave reviews here on Intercot. Our waitress was great, and it was a lot of fun, but the food was just ordinary to poor. we had 4 different entrees at our table and none of them were very good. OK but not great. It could have been just a bad night in the kitchen.

Having worked in the restaurant business when I was younger, I know that no restaurant is great every single night, so there is no guarantee that you'll have the same experiences as other posters on the board. And remember, different people have different tastes and expectations when it comes to dining experiences at WDW.

The bottom line: If you think you might like it, try it rather than decide solely on reviews posted here (or on any other sites). Then make up your mind.

KineGirl
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes there are many varied opinions, which is good. However sometimes it can make your choices confusing :mickey:
It seems almost everyone on here love Boma. We tried it last year and really didn't care for it. It wasn't that we didn't like the different African foods, we just didn't think the overall quality was very good. We also didn't like the zebra domes... I'll probably be banned now :D

I agree with everyone - check out menus and if it sounds like you - try it out!

Two years ago we were so looking forward to Bomas! I love exotic, new foods and it seemed to be right up my alley. However, once there, there seemed to be very little on the buffet I actually cared for and I tried everything. I thought the dining experience itself was great! I loved the views, loved the waitstaff, loved the amibiance- disappointed in the food and yes even the beloved zebra domes. Now JIKOS :thumbsup: IMO is worth every rave it gets! hehe

Mackflava99
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I have been to Sci fi- 3times and always had a good meal and tremendous service-
regardless of comments-
We really enjoyed Club Marakesh but have tried italy 2 times and each time had poor service and bland food.

I guess its timing for everything.

Mickey'sGirl
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Le Cellier and The Rose and Crown didn't do it for us. I don't get Le Cellier's popularity -- unless it's for the meat -- and the Cheese Soup was completely disappointing. The Rose and Crown was also a huge let down. The fish and chips were greasy and tasteless.

I read the reviews, but make decisions based on my own experience as opposed to popular opinion.

Please don't flame me. :hide2:

FriendsofMickey
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I have visited Le Cellier twice and both times I did not think it was as good as I have heard.

The cheddar soup was too salty for my husband and I on both trips.

Both trips the waitress was good, but the food just took a long time to get out.
This past trip, we waited for a long while after we ordred to get our main dish; however, when it did come out, my one daughters steak was bloody. I am not saying rare, the outside was black and the inside was blood red.
The staff was nice and the food was good. It just really isn't as great (in our opinions) as we have heard. There will not be a third trip to Le Cellier for us... which I am sure a lot of people will be happy to take our table. :)

2MuchWDFun
04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I'd have to say the Coral Reef. On our last trip in 2006 it was the best meal of our trip. I had the seared ahi tuna...it was fabulous! My son and his girlfriend ate there last fall and they absolutely loved it too. We've seen lots of bad and mixed reviews...I guess it depends on when you go. We'll definitely be going back this September.

We also love the sci-fi diner...good food; great atmosphere. Great shakes:cloud9:! We are not expecting a gourmet meal so we are never disappointed!

LandFan
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree with a lot of what has already been posted... I am not a fan of Cali Grill or Artist's Point. I love Le Cellier but DH thinks I make a better cheddar/beer soup than they do. We love Coral Reef! Finally tried it and had the best meal there last fall - the Fried catfish was fantastic! We tend to like VERY good/interesting food AND very good/interesting atmosphere. If has one but not the other, we usually aren't as interested.

Kona is probably our one exception. It doesn't have great atmosphere itself, but it is open to the middle of the Poly where you can hear the waterfall and smell the Poly so it still works!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
:mickey: Two restaurants that we had good service and food in but are not popular with Intercottees were Rainforest Cafe-AK and Planet Hollywood DTD....we didn't care for Mama Melrose's but it gets mixed reviews

Jared
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Actually, we've been disappointed by almost every World Showcase restaurant despite positive reviews on the boards. I was especially excited for Restaurant Marrakesh because I love Middle Eastern food and every account suggests it is one o the best eateries in Epcot, but we probably would not return. The meal was good, not great, but the dining room was so unbelievably loud my family of five could barely talk. Perhaps that was an unusual experience, but there are so many other places we like to risk a bad dinner again.

Conversely, I had read virtually all negative reviews of Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano, and we've had two good meals there.

:tasty:

TheMartellFamily
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
We really love Trails End buffet in Ft. Wilderness, it is not talked about much here. Great food and we have never had a bad meal. This food appeals to everyone in our group.
I can tell you one that was bad where they said was good was 1900 park fare. I will never go back there again. From the time we checked in to the time we left it was not good. While many say it is good I will disagree. They say try again but it was so bad that I can truly say I can not try it again.

wendy*darling
04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
We enjoy Sci-Fi. Love the atmosphere and have never had a bad meal.

We also love Chefs de France- dinner or lunch. Have always had good service and excellent food. I love their escagot and the short ribs... :eat:

San Angel- my DH's favorite! We go nearly every trip. We think their food is good. Yes, it's crowded, but having eaten in many a Mexican restaurant in Chicago- run by Mexicans, no English spoken at all- we believe the food is fairly authentic.

We have not had excellent experiences at Coral Reef- but the last time was many years ago. So I am reading the recent good reviews with hope that we will have a good meal in the fall.

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Our choice is go with where you havent gone to before...After all to each his own...What you like may be disliked by everyone else and vice versa...We are going to try to go to each at least once...

jakeybake
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
The atmosphere at Mexico is nice but the food is :sick: so I like Italy with the atmosphere and the food. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Despite all of the negative reviews of Nine Dragons, DH and I absolutely LOVE this place! We've always had delicious food, and fantastic service. It's a nice step up from standard Chinese food at home, and the prices aren't all that bad considering you're in WDW. We are so sad to know that we won't be able to dine there on either trip this year! :(

While Citricos gets many high marks here, it's at the bottom of our list. Food is great, but service is rude and downright horrendous (from the host to the servers). We won't go back. We are treated like royalty at Narcoossee's, so we'll keep going there!

We also love the RFC in AK, despite all of the negative comments here. We've always had delicious meals there, and the service was always very attentive and friendly. No complaints at all!

Chefs de France......blech! One of the worst meals we've ever had at WDW, or anywhere else. We've had better cuts of meat at Applebee's. I also like my seafood actually fully cooked. I would also expect my French cream puffs and creme brulee to be freshly prepared....not partially thawed and soggy/watery.