PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Megastore closing?

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi guys

I am going to WDW in June and remember reading somewhere that the Virgin Megastore in DTD is closed..is this true??

Sunshine1010
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Ooooooohhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhh.....I heard that too and forgot all about it. I'd like to know this info as well.

taymaesmom
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Your post got me to thinking, we recently visited Chicago and I noticed that the Virgin Megastore on Michigan Ave was gone. So I just checked their website and still shows the DTD location as open but the Chicago one was completely removed.

disneygirlie11
04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
i hope not! I bought a bag there last december and they didn't take the security tag off. I could never get a response from anyone at the store as to what I should do so I was just going to bring it back down with me in October

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
wow I really hope someone knows..:(

Everytime I visit America I always buy many, many DVD's (they are so much cheaper and much more choice) and this time I am going to Florida alone without a car. I am staying at the DTD area so really hope that Virgin Megastore is open

JPelle76
04-22-2008, 11:21 PM
OOOHHHH!!! NO!!!!! I love Virgin! Our tradition is for my sister and I to go shopping in there while my dad waits for our table at Wolfgang puck!

I live on Long Island and I know the one 10 min from my house closed a few years back. It's now a david's bridal. UGG!! I know the one in Times Square is still open, anytime I'm in the area I have to go in! And then usually come back out with some cd or dvd in a shopping bag!!!

That stinks about the secutity tag. I'd go to virgin.com and see if you can find some general # for the stores. Good Luck!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I hope not. My nephew Joe will be so upset!

AdventurerKim
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I hope it doesn't close either! That's where I get my vinyl now since the one here (New Orleans) never reopened after Katrina.

Polynesian Dweller
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Apparently this is still just a rumour BUT, Branson sold the entire American chain and at least 3 have been closed in the USA. Given how poor sales of CDs and DVDs have been recently and the closing of several record stores, its not that unlikely that eventually the sales of all DVDs etc will lead to the end of this type of store.

prprincess
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
No, it's not. I just bought a CBGB shirt there this past Saturday!:thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
05-12-2008, 05:20 AM
It was open on May 6th. It didn't look like it was going to close any time soon.

PetefromRI
05-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I was there 2 days ago and got some good CD's on sale.There was no sign that they were closing.

MinnieMommie
05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
No, it's not. I just bought a CBGB shirt there this past Saturday!:thumbsup:

Did they have more CBGB shirts? I am going to be shopping there this weekend and want to pick up a few as presents. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
05-27-2008, 02:32 AM
1) The Virgin Stores are going by the wayside.
2) The DTD store remains open, but not known for how long.

From BBC News:

"Virgin's UK record stores were the business that established Richard Branson as an entrepreneur. But now, after more than 30 years, he is getting out of music retailing altogether. Last week, he said entertainment retail was "no longer viewed as core to the group's future".

Imagineer1981
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
If Virgin doesn't close, it will be the only one left in the country, and considering its main consumer is CMs...I would bet its going to go

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
What a shame! I love those music mega stores. We used to have Tower here and they all closed. Everytime I'm at Disney we shop at Virgin. I can always find a CD of an unpopular band to buy. Those stores always carry CDs you can't find anywhere else. I hope they stay open at least through Oct.