PDA

View Full Version : 1st Visit Must Do Dining?

houseofmouse103
04-21-2008, 10:02 AM
I have 2 friends who are taking their families down for their very first visit, one the 1st week in Nov, the other the 2nd week in Nov. Both participating in DDP and staying at POFQ. One is a family of 4 with a 10 yo & 16 yo, the other is a family of 3 with a 6 yo. Please help me think of 5 or 6 restaurants with serious "wow" factor in atmosphere or quality of food.:mickey:

Seasonscraps
04-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I think Sci-Fi diner is pretty cool - the kids will get a kick out of the drive in dining.

Coral Reef is impressive with dining around the acquarium.

The 6 year old will probably love any of the character meals.

Whispering Canyon Cafe is all about tom-foolery that can be fun for everyone...horse races, singing, stomping, napkin waving, etc.

Boatrights at POR has a great breakfast and I think Bob Jackson in the evening is a must see.

RockinRollerMom
04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
My vote is definetly for Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. Both the breakfast and dinner buffet has good food. It is a really fun atmosphere and is good for all ages. Plus if you've never been is WDW before there is something just breathtaking about being in the Contemporary and watching the monorail come through. It is also super easy to get to either from your hotel or from MK or EPCOT.

My other vote is for Cape May's clambake buffet dinner. This is my family's favorite. Don't worry if there are some non seafood loving people in your party, plenty of other things to choose from. Also very easy to get to. Either walk from EPCOT or take the boat from DHS.

Good luck and have a great trip!!:mickey:

Dyanna
04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Our family liked 50's prime time. We had a good "player" whom made the experience worth wanting to go back. They really picked on my daughter a lot & she loved it.

MickeyandTink
04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
My vote is definetly for Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. ...
Good luck and have a great trip!!:mickey:

I'll second Chef Mickey's as a "must-do". We also really enjoyed Akershus and O'hana's was fun as well.

Marker
04-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I think I'd have to say 50's Prime Time, the kids will get a kick out of it, especially when mom & dad get "yelled at" for having their elbows on the table.

wedway fan
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
another vote for chef mickey's- something for everyone there.

the family with the 6yo might also like crystal palace, and the family with the teenagers might like one of the WS restaurants. (san angel's food is only OK but the atmosphere is great, and le cellier is certainly a great option if the teenagers are meat eaters)

joonyer
04-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Our favorite restaurant and the one restaurant we hit on every trip is dinner at 'Ohana in the Polynesian Hotel. :lei: :papple: :tikki:
It's the best "family fun" restaurant in all of WDW, IMO. It's got a great setting, in the Poly, with views of MK, (you can see the fireworks at night), great atmosphere (giant fire grill :camp: in the middle of the dining room) and live hawaiian music. (singer with a ukelele) It has very good food and all you can eat. (grilled steak, pork, turkey and sausage on skewers) plus peel 'n eat sweet & sour shrimp, not to mention fabulous melt-in-your-mouth bread pudding (don't knock it 'til you try it & save some room in the tummy). On top of that they have coconut races around the dining room and hula hoop contests for the kids. Another plus for us is we always travel there by monorail, which the kids love to ride. It's like traveling directly from a magical place (MK) on an ultra-modern conveyance right to a south sea island. Just another part of the magic of WDW.
You'll all have a great time. It's not to be missed. :number1: No visit to WDW is complete without it for us.

LandFan
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Nothing beats dining inside the castle during the fireworks (even if it is too pricey now since it is a fairy godmother thing). The wow factor is really high and the dinner food is pretty darn good.

Second, I would suggest O'hana's. It has games for the little one and great atmosphere in general. You can also see the fireworks if you are at a window seat during the fireworks show.

mdricks
04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
A 3rd vote for Chef Mickeys. What a great time.

O'hana's is a great idea as well.

KylesMom
04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Chef Mickey's (CR) - Ohana (Poly) - Whispering Canyon (WL) - The Garden Grill (Epcot) - Sci-Fi (DHS) - Crystal Palace (MK) are all great places to take newbies that have their own certain "WOW" factor. :mickey:

Jared
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
There are so many restaurants, and it's so hard to suggest any without knowing a little more about the families' tastes and dining preferences.

Are you looking for any character meals? For breakfast, try 'Ohana or Cape May Cafe. Dinner is good at 1900 Park Fare and Liberty Tree Tavern. Chef Mickey's and The Crystal Palace offer the two traditional, popular character buffets.

My three favorite restaurants overall are 'Ohana and Kona Cafe, both at the Polynesian, and Boma - Flavors of Africa in the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

:tasty:

TheMartellFamily
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
First one that is good for all ages is O'hana's at they Poly. Here is another vote for Chef Mickeys, this is always our first meal at WDW. This trip we are trying so many new restaurants that we hope this will be added to our must do lists. These two that I gave you are ones that are must do's for us. Hope this helps.

MinnieMommie
04-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Chef Mickey is a must do. Gee Whiz..so many other good place to dine. Not sure exactly what you are looking for such as type of food, sit down/character/table service and price range. Ohana is a fun place. We used to always do Chef Mickey for dinner, Park 1900 for breakfast and Kona for dinner. Go to Info Central and check out the menus. :mickey:

cal5755
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM
The five I would suggest as must do's are

Crystal Palace
Chef Mickeys
Akershus
50's Prime Time Cafe
Liberty Tree Tavern

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Sci Fi for the atmosphere...Chef Mickeys for the characters...Ohana for the bread pudding...50s Prime Time for the entertainment...You have to eat breakfast at Boatwrights at POR...The sweet potato pancakes will be on the top of your list I bet...:thumbsup:

houseofmouse103
04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Great suggestions! This is the list I came up with from all the input:

1. Chef Mickey's
2. Ohana
3. Sci-Fi
4. Whispering Canyon
5. 50's Prime Time
6. Coral Reef
7. Le Cellier

I also threw in Planet Hollywood (just 'cause it's there) & ESPN Club (football fans). Thanks for all your help! I've been back from our last trip only 3 weeks, but after making this list, I can't wait to go again!

jakeybake
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I think Italy is nice. But I love Cape May Cafe if you want to go to another hotel to eat. :chef: