PDA

View Full Version : Tip.. when getting off the ship

NJGIRL
04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
For people who have never cruised before here is a tip we have used over and over again. Sometimes it is really crazy in the customs area. We have always used a "porter" to get our bags. Not only is it easier but they pretty much get you to the front of the line. They say just follow me. I guess from being in there all of the time they know the "checkers" and maybe they even share the tip with them. I know it gets us out of customs very quickly.

ElenitaB
04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
That's a very good tip and the cost:aggravation ratio is definitely worth the extra spend. However, we've never gotten "front of the line" access. No matter... it's totally worth the tip I give them. (And as the daughter of a government employee, I also tend to think that the "checkers" or US Customs agents share tips with the porters.)

Ed
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
...I also tend to think that the "checkers" or US Customs agents share tips with the porters.)

They darn sight better not... that's a sure-fire way for a Customs agent to become an EX-Customs agent! :nono:

Jasper
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
They darn sight better not... that's a sure-fire way for a Customs agent to become an EX-Customs agent! :nono:

And if anyone would know the rules it would be TiggTigg5!

So how much do you normally tip the porter?

NJGIRL
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't know if there is really tip sharing going on. All I know is that we have zipped through the line on many occasions and it's well worth paying the porter.

brdavis
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
While the porters are very helpful, I'm not sure it actually makes it faster. We've done it twice now, the first time with porters, and the second time without... and the second time was quicker. The reason is timing - there are times when the queue is full and you're waiting in line, and other times when it's almost empty. I think timing your breakfast is probably critical.

I'm 99% certain that the porters do not share tips with the customs officials, as that would be against the law (think potential bribery). I made the mistake of trying to take a picture of a hidden mickey in the customs area... and was a hairs breath away from being forcefully detained. Not a place to make a mistake.

--
Brian Davis

NJGIRL
04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
In all the cruises we have done the porters have breezed through the lines. Whether this is right or wrong can be debated. I just follow their instructions and give them the tip. On our first couple of cruises we didn't use a porter and we found it much slower & much more work. With all the tipping that goes on during a cruise we don't mind tipping to get through the line and get the bags to the car.

Jasper
04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
How much do you normally tip the porter?

NJGIRL
04-21-2008, 04:32 PM
When we last went in 2006 we gave him $3 an item which I beleive came out to $15 for 10 minutes of work.

ElenitaB
04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
OMG... is my face red! :blush: Actually much redder.

After writing and rewriting my response a few times, I actually meant to say that they did NOT share tips. I'm so sorry... it's been a long day.