PDA

View Full Version : Headaches...

wdwgrl377
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Ya'll,

Lately, I've been experiencing major headaches. At times, I suffer with migranes and have taken RX's for it. At the moment I am all out of RX medicine and need some advice.

What else can I do or take to get rid of it until I can get in to see a Dr. *Which will be later this week - thank God*!!

The headaches are so bad that it even hurts my teeth. Is that weird? Anyone else experience that? :confused:

I do know that we're having pollen around here like crazy. That does play a key role in my headaches b/c my eyes are watering, and itching too.

Any advice or tips would be helpful - until I can see my Dr..

Thanks all! Have a great week everyone! :mickey:

castlegirl
04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
I get very bad headaches too. Here's what I've tried...

1) put heat on your forehead (heating pad, etc) and an ice pack on the back of your neck.
My chiropractor suggested this.

2) If your eyes are itchy and watery, it does sound like allergies. Can you take any kind of antihistime (sp?) That may give you some relief

3) If it is allergies, try some saline nasal spray to break up the congestion in your head that may be causing you discomfort.

I suffer from sinus headaches several times a year and these tricks do give me some relief until I can get to the doctor.

Hope this helps! Here's some :pixie: for a speedy recovery!

wdwgrl377
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I get very bad headaches too. Here's what I've tried...

1) put heat on your forehead (heating pad, etc) and an ice pack on the back of your neck.
My chiropractor suggested this.

2) If your eyes are itchy and watery, it does sound like allergies. Can you take any kind of antihistime (sp?) That may give you some relief

3) If it is allergies, try some saline nasal spray to break up the congestion in your head that may be causing you discomfort.

I suffer from sinus headaches several times a year and these tricks do give me some relief until I can get to the doctor.

Hope this helps! Here's some :pixie: for a speedy recovery!

Thank you!!

I will try the heat on my head and the cold pack on my neck.

I can take an antihistamine. The pharmacy dept., at the store, told me to get some eye drops for my eyes itching. due to the allergies. I've yet to put them in my eyes..but will try it out.

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate all I can get!

:D

jodijo
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I have had migraines for over 30 years. I am sorry that you are suffering. Here is my advice. Hope it helps.

Be careful with any antihistamines. Those with ephedrine or sudoephedrine can make headaches worse.

I know that sleep helps me. However, getting to sleep is hard with a headache. I take Advil PM and it works well for me.

I agree that a hot compress over the forehead and eyes helps some.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

SBETigg
04-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Migraine headaches and sinus headaches like you might get from allergies are very different kinds of headaches. I've suffered from both. Yours sounds sinus/allergy related currently, and I would try the antihistamines and also see a doctor. If you have a sinus infection, it can present like this and that won't go away very likely until you get a prescription for an antibiotic to help knock out the infection.

If it's only seasonal allergies, the anti-allergy/anti-histamine route may work. But if you also suffer from migraines, it may take some experimentation to find the right remedy that won't bring on a whole different kind of headache. The only thing that helps my migraines is spending time in the dark after a light meal and taking some painkillers. Best wishes with getting rid of the pain.

Disneyfun
04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
DW suffers from migranes. Here are some of the things that help her:

Massaging the area of the neck at the base of the skull.
Massaging the balls of her feet.
Placing a cold compress over her eyes and cutting off all forms of stimulus as possible.
Massaging the top of her head.
As funny as this sounds, I have her lay on her back and I sit above her head. I then carefully grip her ears and gently pull down and out at about a 45 degree angle. This releaves a lot of pressure for her.

wdwgrl377
04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.

I had to wind up taking a really strong pain killer, and believe it or not - it's still throbbing. I had my mom massage my scalp and I put a cold compress on my neck, and did some of the other suggestions from others.

I will just call my Dr. tomorrow and see what she suggests and just get my Rx refilled. I had to earlier take my contacts out and put my glasses on. Even the pressure from my glasses resting on my nose, makes it feel worse.

Well, I'm off to bed and hopefully can get some sleep. :confused: It's kinda making me feel :ill:

Argh! This too shall pass, right?!

Thanks again. And please don't stop the suggestions! I really appreciate everyone's advice and tips!:cloud9:

Marilyn Michetti
04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
For allergy headaches, a strong cup of coffee helps. Caffiene is a vaso-dialator, and a good thing to try before you go to the heavy stuff.

Good luck ! Headaches are awful !:(

JanetMegan
04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Along the same lines as the caffinene, Excedrin is for me still the best at knocking out headaches...

ChipDale2708
04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I too am sinus allergy sufferer. With the weather finally warm here in the NE everything blossomed over the past week so I've been miserable. Currently Excedrin Migraine has been working for me. My doctor also said to use warm packs on your eyes and cheek bones to open up the blood vessels. I always used cold because my face generally felt hot. What a difference the hot packs make. Good luck - hope you feel better!

MsMin
04-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Monica, stress doesn't help your headaches either and I know you have a lot to worry about. Try some relaxation techniques and if you have a lot on your mind try writing them down so they stop spinning in your head. Sorry I can't do any deep relaxation here! I don't want to put the board to sleep. :sleepin: :pixie: hope you feel better soon.

laprana
04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I definitely feel your pain! I get a lot of headaches, including migraines and sinus headaches. This time of the year and the fall are the worst for me because allergies trigger a lot of my sinus headaches. These are some things that have seemed to help me quite a bit:

1.) If you do have allergies that are triggering sinus headaches, I would highly recommend taking a daily medication like Allegra or Claritin (without a decongestant, not Claritin-D or Allegra-D). I started taking Allegra once a day about a year ago and have seen a big improvement in not only the allergy problems I get, but also the sinus problems, including headaches. I tried Claritin and it didn't seem to work that well, so I asked my doctor who gave me the prescription for Allegra. It has really helped.

2.) When I get migranes, usually the only thing I can do once they hit is lay down in a dark room with very little sound and as little light as possible. I usually put a heating pad or warm compress on my forehead, which seems to help dull the pain. Usually sleep is the only thing that will fully get rid of the migrane for me. My doc gave me a prescription for migranes, but all it did was make me sick to my stomach, which made things so much worse!

3.) When you feel a headache coming on, take something right away as soon as you feel it!

4.) Peppermint oil is supposed to have some properties that help ease and relieve headaches. I never put much stock into this until I tried it, and it really does seem to help! I got a small bottle of aromatherapy Tranquil Mint lotion from my local Bath & Body Works store (you can probably find similar lotions, massage oils, etc. at other stores, too). I take a little of the lotion and massage it into my neck muscles where my neck meets the tops of my shoulders and at the base of my skull. I also massage a little into my temples. It really seems to dull the pain and help the headache go away!

I hope some of these suggestions help you find some headache relief! I know how you feel! A bad headache or migrane really can be debilitating and interrupt your life. I hope you're feeling better soon! :)

Disneyatic
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
You mentioned that with these headaches your teeth hurt.
Is that a normal symptom with the migraines you suffer?
That description made me instantly think of a sinus infection related symptom.
I get sinus and TMJ related headaches alot and when my back teeth start to ache, I try to head to the doctor.

Good luck with finding the relief you need!

McGoofy
04-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I totally feel your pain!! I too suffer from migraines. There has been some really good advice already given, so I'm not going to re-hash. Currently, your headache sounds alergy related. The hurting teeth is the classic sign, plus you have the itchy water eyes.

I take Maxalt (prescription med) for migraines, and I swear by that. For anything else, I take Excedrin. (Well, either the Wal-Mart version or Walgreens version...the generics have the same ingredients.) If you compare the ingredients to regular Excedrin and Excedrin Migraine, they are exactly the same. I'm not sure why they are marketed differently.

I know you are looking for an instant cure. I wish I could PM you one of my Maxalts.:(

Can you get into a chiropractor's office? I have been seeing a chiropractor since this past November, and my headaches have been reduced significantly.

I sure hope that you feel better soon!:pixie: Let us know how you are doing when you have a chance. Take care and get some rest!

Donald's Girl
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
As a female, I used to get the same headaches. Ferocious ones that would last for a few days. They often mimicked symptoms of sinus headaches but I finally was diagnosed as having migraines that were hormone related. Talk to your doctor about when you seem to get these headaches; there's a good chance they are affected by estrogen levels!

DisneyDog
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Have you ever had any orthodontia? Do you wear a retainer? I find that if I don't wear my retainer at least every other night, then my teeth move and I get a bad headache. If I do get a headache, the first thing I do is put in my retainer.

wdwgrl377
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Thank you everyone for giving me advice and tips on how to beat this headache.

It finally did go away. I had done several of the suggestions here on the board and it did help. I've placed a call into the local Pharmacy so I can get my refill incase/when it happens again.

I do have alot to worry about too. And I know something that did trigger it off, but I have to learn to just let go and stop worrying about things I can't fix.

I do think it had to do with my sinuses, b/c as I mentioned my teeth hurt. I don't wear anything at night, such as a night guard or retainer.

I also see the Dr. tomorrow *yay* and so I will tell her all about it.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

crazeedizneefinatic
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I too suffer from terrible headaches and also sinus stuff. There is an over the counter medicine called Vanquish. It will knock out a headache in a matter of 10 minutes. The stuff is amazing and is an old brand, it is hard to find. It's cheaper than Excedrin too. Excedrin is not bad but if you can get ahold of Vanquish try it. It's great for all aches and pains too. It does contain aspirin just so you know, in case anyone reading this cannot take aspirin. Also for sinus, this sounds crazy but Head On really takes the bite out of a sinus headache. You know those really annoying commercials! My husband brought some home as samples and I laughed until I tried it. It really did work!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Hope you got some help from the doc today. How did it go? A few ideas you might try next time for sinuses (I have to take a quick nap to knock out the migraines...)
Hair dryer on the back of your neck and head
Inhale a cup of hot tea as you slowly drink it--the steam really helps.
Good luck.:pixie:

thrillme
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I love an Excedrin, a hot bubble bath with Johnson and Johnson's baby Mentholatum bath, an ice pack on my neck and perhaps only candle light instead of the usual bathroom light.

wdwgrl377
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, the Dr. told me that it is most likely an allergy/sinus headache. The pollen over here is really bad. She refilled my Immitrex and just told me to take Claritin, and if it gets worse to take the Immitrex. She said that if it gets unbearable to let her know and she will do testing just to rule out anything. She just was certain it was allergy related. :yes:

Several years ago, I had to be rushed to the ER (on Christmas Day), no, not for the Crohn's this time thank God, but b/c I had a major, MAJOR migrain! They did some tests and found nothing wrong.

So far, I've been fine and haven't had any more headaches since then. Seems like since I went to the Dr. my head is now all better! It's like it knew I was going to the Dr. so it started behaving!! heehee!! :crazy:

Thanks again for all the suggestions and tips! They've been all so helpful! :dance:

LibertyTreeGal
04-24-2008, 08:16 AM
I used to suffer from debilitating headaches. What worked for me was chiropractic adjustments (my cervical vertebrae in my neck were whacked badly) and giving up soda (diet and regular both). The acid in soda messes with your blood chemistry and can cause many conditions from arthritis to headaches. I couldn't believe the difference!!! My arthritis and my headaches are now gone for seven years now.