PDA

View Full Version : HELP?! Ideas for surprising my 6 and 9 year olds

magicmark
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Here's the situation:
I live in New Orleans. My son lives with his mom in Chicago. My girlfriend and son live in St. Louis. (Complicated, I know.)
I bought the 7 day land and sea vacation scheduled to leave on April 30th. It's an understatement to say that we are beyond excited BUT the kids don't know yet. On April 30th I will fly to St. louis and meet my son. The two of us will then go to my girlfriend's place where we will have maybe 1 or 2 hours and then get into a cab and head back to the airport to head for Orlando. My girlfriend and I are racking our heads trying to come up with the best way to break the news to the kids!
Any ideas? Remember, it'll be an immedate thing. We'll announce it and then within 2 hours be on our way!

Help?!!
Mark

tron1970
04-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Wait till you land and our on the way there and then ask "did you bring you passport for the Disney Cruise?"

SBETigg
04-20-2008, 11:08 PM
You could give them surprise packages to unwrap with hints to the trip destination inside (mickey ears, Disney clothes or activity books, swimwear or swim accessories, etc).

I have to add that surprising kids can go in unexpected ways. They thrive on routine to a certain extent and breaking from that may throw them for a loop, not always in the best of ways. Considering they don't live with you in the first place, they may develop different expectations of how their time with you will go. I would drop some hints so that they are aware that they will be traveling and in for vacation time, not the usual Dad time. You don't have to spill the beans, but be sure they are prepared mentally for the adventure coming to them. Best wishes and have a great time!

SFTrny
04-21-2008, 07:15 AM
I would start early. A week before the trip, mail them a Disney t-shirt and a guide book. Be sparse on details. Give them an extra week of magic by planning up to it themselves and anticipating the trip. They'll have fun packing the night before (or several nights before like my kids have done!). And you won't have any surprises with your fast turn-around time picking the kids up.