PDA

View Full Version : Why do they have to be so mean???

princessjojo
04-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I generally only hang out around this Disney board, and really didn't know why, other than I just liked it here and thought everyone here was always kind and welcoming to others. If opinions weren't the same, posters many times agreed to disagree and that was that.

Well, recently, in the process of planning our June trip, I have ventured out trying to get ideas for some newbies that will be with us. I hit on another site I had lurked on some time back and just recently began to read some things out there within the last two weeks. Well today I was looking at a post; I knew what the op was talking about as did many others. But there were a couple others that wanted nothing more than to bash him and bash him hard. Over something I felt was merely trivial. Then when confronted about it, one of the bashers replied with a really sophomoric statement. I couldn't believe how childish they were acting over something so minuscule.

As a result I think I can do without them. I like it here much better. Everyone is nice and kind and accepting of others mistakes. The posters here always constructively correct any errors others may have and never berate those who have differing opinions or topics that leave you scratching your head wondering were that came from.

Thank you all for being civil towards each other. It makes it worth it and we can all have fun talking, and learning about something we all love...Disney among other things.

KineGirl
04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
:ditto::exactly::rocks:

SgtTigger
04-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Welcome back home.........:D

:)

:cop: :tigger:

kakn7294
04-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Been there, done that, got seriously bashed so now I tend to only hang around here or VERY carefully word what I say on other one of those "other" sites. Seems to me as if either their moderators are invisible people who don't really exist or they join right in on the bashing - I've never seen a moderator step in over there. Our moderators here are obviously quite active and do a great job of keeping this site from becoming like all the others! THANKS MODS!!!

Jeff
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm glad you're back home with us!:thumbsup:

Kykatt
04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm with you.

I have been looking around here for a while( last June I think) and on another board.

Not much of a poster.. just like looking for information.. but one day I started a thread.. and literally got BEAT UP !!! NO ONE wanted to be nice. Thread is still there.. I wish moderators would ban people for behavoir laike that.

Sorry you got "beat up too" :(

I think I'll be over here more from now on.. and actually posting !!:joy:

Yeah!! MY first post here !!

Jeff
04-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Glad to have you join us Kykatt.

Welcome to Intercot!:thumbsup:

Kykatt
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Glad to have you join us Kykatt.

Welcome to Intercot!:thumbsup:

Thanks !!

Am I overlooking it??
Is there a "place to say Hello I'm a Newbie " Even though I have been Looking for almost a year I have not been posting I want to get on the right foot.

Ed
04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
:ditto:

I've been hanging around here since 1999, and have also done my share of lurking on other WDW-related sites, and I have to agree ~~ some people can be downright nasty! :mad:

I'm not going to tell you that there haven't been some problems of that nature here over the years, but management and the mods try our very best to stay on top of what's happening on the boards, and we don't hesitate to step in and take whatever action is needed to resolve problems. If that means editing or deleting a post, we do it. If it means banning certain people, we do that too.

Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often. It seems that many potential 'trouble-makers' lurk a while, see that their nonsense will not be tolerated, and they go away. Thankfully.

:welcome: back to what we feel is the friendliest WDW boards on the 'net.

:rocks:

PirateLover
04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I think I only posted once or twice on another site. It was in a Pop Century thread when I was planning my first trip with my boyfriend. Every once and awhile I'll check another site to see what they are talking about but to be honest, not only are the people mean but the sites are a cluttered mess. Signatures are a mile long, advertisements everywhere. Of course Intercot isn't perfect but it's the best around when it comes to online communities. You will always find people who seem like they are looking to ruffle some feathers, but none of the outright meanness that you find elsewhere on the net.

MsMin
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I've never played around on other sites. I did see one and didn't like the layout and heard they didn't manage their sites as effectively against trolls and bashers.
While not Disney, I heard JK Rowling say she was bashed while posting on a HP site... she was appalled.. but it's really funny when you think about it and how ignorant they look. Yes, I love to tease and poke fun but I try to be very clear that I'm teasing and know the people I'm teasing. I wonder if the people who are out right ugly really know how bad that makes them look to others? It's times like that I just imagine I have a mirror and remember what a bad reflection they are projecting.

wdwgrl377
04-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I've gone to other boards before just to see, well, really to read what's going on, etc.:lurk: I've never felt comfortable on their boards as I do here. I've also, like you have read some horrible things people have made to a poster. It's really, really sad and yes it does make them look bad.

This board is the BEST EVER!!:cheer: The people here are so friendly, and have so much advice to give on many, many things. It's like a big family here! :grouphug:

I love it! :rocks:

Glad to have you here on the board!! :dance:

MMouse6937
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I also have tried other boards because I couldn't really get any info here on Mousefest (I started a thread and no replies :( )

The other site I went on wasn't necessarily nasty just really confusing. Nothing was organized very clearly, and I got really confused as to where to post things, and then once I did I got lost as to where I put it!! :confused:

Intercot is definately well organized and the people are very nice. :number1:

poeticeclipse
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
YES!!! :number1:

Everyone is nailing it and taking the words right out of my mouth.

I've done my fair share of lurking and sometimes posting on one other board. I have a few main complaints about them. First off, those people can be mean!! Here I am trying to talk about the happiest place on Earth and everyone is fighting with each other about things that do not matter!! Secondly, the "other site" I check out once in a while is just terribly unorganized. I know some people like being able to "personalize" their signature but to me, it just makes for a one big 'ol mess. Keep it simple and keep it clean.

There are so many "groups" of people and not being a frequent poster over there I feel very out of the loop and unwelcome. Here, I immeditely felt comfortable to post what I wanted and not be bashed for it.

The threads move SO fast on some other discussion boards that I can't keep up. Everyone posts in a very unorganized way and I just don't know what everything is. The advertisements also make it very difficult to figure out what is an actual topic and what isn't. INTERCOT is more my pace.

To all of the mods ... Thanks! Thank you for making this place really welcoming and warm to those who are new and those who are old timers. I'll keep coming back as long as things only get better :)

Jeff
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks !!

Am I overlooking it??
Is there a "place to say Hello I'm a Newbie " Even though I have been Looking for almost a year I have not been posting I want to get on the right foot.

You found it. The "Water Cooler" is just the place!:)

Marker
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the new folks. I for one am happy that you feel comfortable here. I would not be at all happy about being associated with the behavior associated with other places.

As long as we're taking the opportunity, I too would like to express my thanks to the folks who make this a welcoming, informative, and friendly place.

Here's to our moderators - who do a fabulous job keeping the rest of us in line.

Here's to participants, who offer their thoughts and opinions without the need to belittle anyone.

Here's to the people, all of us at times, seeking information about WDW, giving the rest of us a reason to talk about the place we all hold dear.

And, here's to those with whom I occasionally disagree, providing the opportunity for some thoughtful discussion without the need to become offensive, or offended. It is these good natured, and occasionally intense, discussions that to me really make this an enjoyable pass-time.

Spaceship Tigger
04-23-2008, 07:45 AM
What kills me is that I have posted on other boards before and had the same thing happen multiple times - I will post a question, and then after a couple of responses, someone else asks an almost completely unrelated question and soon the entire thread is no longer relevant to me. The moderators never want to step in to get people back on track like they do here.

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I know that this sounds silly but whenever I look on other boards I feel like I am cheating...I havent posted anywhere else because I like to ask and answer here...:blush:

Dragongirlx
04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I have tried other boards to and have been either ignored for being new! or not from the US or shouted at for not knowing my way round the boards.

What I love about intercot is everyone is always really nice, the moderators are great and no matter what country you are fom you are welcome.

No matter what question you ask or what you post someone always answers even if it is just to point you in the right direction.