PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom's 10th Birthday !

Ed
04-20-2008, 06:54 AM
:monkey::gator::elephant:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANIMAL KINGDOM !!

From OrlandoSentinel.com

Disney's Animal Kingdom celebrates 10-year anniversary

For 10 years, we've been under the spell of Disney's animal attraction.

Dewayne Bevil
Sentinel Staff Writer

April 20, 2008

It's so obvious and so true: Animal is the middle name of Disney's Animal Kingdom. The attraction is king of the jungle when it comes to theming. Animals -- real and merely realistic -- are everywhere in the park: in the trees, in water, in air, in architecture, on uniforms, in stage shows, in conservation efforts. In honor of the park's 10-year anniversary on Tuesday, here are 10 fun, sometimes furry facts you should know about Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom.

1 House warmers.
The very first inhabitants of Disney's Animal Kingdom were four giraffes and three gorillas.

2 Big numbers.

The park reportedly cost nearly $800 MILLION

It covers 500 ACRES

5 times the size of Magic Kingdom.

More than 40,000 mature trees were planted before the opening.

3 It's all about tree.

The internal structure of the park's iconic Tree of Life is based on the design for an oil rig. The Tree is covered with images of 325 animals carved into its "bark," and it has more than 100,000 leaves.

4 The price we pay.

On opening day, Disney World ticket prices went up. One-day, one-park admission rose to $44.52 (tax included) for adults, $36.04 for children age 3-9. Today's prices: $75.62 and $63.90, respectively.

5 Paging Melissa Joan Hart.

Animal Kingdom was the first Disney World park to open after the company purchased the ABC television network. Early synergy: Segments for ABC comedy "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" were taped there.

6 Sasquatch, your safari is ready.

Early plans for the park touted an area known as Beastly Kingdom, set to feature mythical beasts such as griffins and fire-breathing dragons. For the most part, Disney has kept things in the realistic realm. Two exceptions would be the menacing yeti inside the Expedition Everest roller coaster and the Unicorn section of the parking lot.

7 Mild kingdom?

When the park opened, it had only one thrill ride, Countdown to Extinction. That attraction underwent a name change to Dinosaur in conjunction with Disney's 2000 film of the same name. Now adventurous guests can turn to the Everest coaster, Primeval Whirl and Kali River Rapids for excitement.

8 By the mouthful.

The popular Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction mixes open-air vehicles and wildlife -- zebras, elephants, rhinos, lions and more -- over a 110-acre savannah. The grazing animals help with maintenance costs: That part of the park has never been mowed by machine (although it was almost needed after one particularly rainy season).

9 Name games.

The original announced name for the park was Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom, but the Wild was dropped two years before it even opened. Other names tested: Disney's Wild World, Disney's Animal Adventure, Disney's Animal Encounter and Disney's Wild Territorium.

10 When the whistle blows.

An audio cue signals animals that it's time to come in for the night. Most birds stay in the park, but most mammals go to their shelters at the end of the day. If they want to stay out, they can.

Dewayne Bevil can be reached at 407-420-5477 or [email protected].
WALT DISNEY CO.

dlpmikki
04-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm going to the wild decade event on Tuesday. Can't wait!

mainemajor
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
It does not seem like it has been 10 years. We were there on opening day. - What a MADHOUSE and it was still under construction. Everywhere we went that week was crazy as not only tourist were there, but international media was there all week for the opening.
I didn't really enjoy AK on that trip, but I do now

dudeman1975
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Happy 10th Animal Kingdom. I remember when it first opened as well.

cal5755
04-20-2008, 10:29 AM
WOW that is amazing... we were not there of course but I remember reading about the opening and I can not believe it was 10 years ago!! Time flies...

I am glad for this park though..... it is so relaxing and the kids love it. Happy Birthday to Animal Kingdom!! I hope all the animals get a great treat to celebrate.:mickey:

Diznee4Me
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Good Morning America broadcast their entire show from AK on opening morning - or there about. Can't believe it has been ten years.

garymacd
04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
6 Sasquatch, your safari is ready.

Early plans for the park touted an area known as Beastly Kingdom, set to feature mythical beasts such as griffins and fire-breathing dragons. For the most part, Disney has kept things in the realistic realm. Two exceptions would be the menacing yeti inside the Expedition Everest roller coaster and the Unicorn section of the parking lot.

Um. Point of Order.
How do we know the yeti isn't real? We just haven't found it yet.

As for the unicorn, we all know they were wiped out because they were too busy, "Hidin', playin' silly games. Kickin' and splashin' while the rain was fallin'", to get on the Ark!

Oh, them silly unicorns! :D

Terk24
04-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Got to love rumors.......Cousin is down there and a CM told her two big announcements coming today regarding additions.

huzzah4
04-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Today is Animal Kingdom's 10th birthday. Since this is one of our favorite parks, I am pleased to be the first to wish it and all of the CM's who work there a very Happy Birthday.

ibrowse17
04-22-2008, 08:58 AM
:birthday: to all of the CM's and critters:party:

TKDONALD
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
:cake::birthday::mickey:

Goofeygal
04-22-2008, 01:00 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AK!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party:

cal5755
04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Happy Birthday Dear Animal Kingdom CM's and Animals!!! :party2::elephant::turtle::gator::squirrel::deer2:

JPL
04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I have to say they have been 10 wonderful years of Adventure :mickey:

I started out on my first trip not really sure what to make of the new park but as the years went by the park continued to grow on me. Now I would say it's very close to my second favorite park just about tied with Epcot. I love the fact that everytime I walk down the trails or ride the safari it's a new and unique experience. After 10 years of visits I am still noticing the little details and as the park matures it gets more beautiful each year. Wish I could have squeezed a trip to be there for the celebration.

McGoofy
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
:birthday::monkey::simba::elephant::balloon:

HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY ANIMAL KINGDOM!

I can always remember the date because it is the day after my birthday, and the same year that my son was born.
I can't wait to hear any reports of anybody who is at AK today. Anything special happening? Any 10 year anniversary souveniers we should be on the look out for?

DisneyDog
04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Is there anything special going on at AK to celebrate?

katzctkpt
04-22-2008, 05:49 PM
:party2::birthday::cake:
Happy 10th Birthday!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Is there anything special going on at AK to celebrate?

There were some speakers and special events. They had 10,000 birthday pins and I had gotten one...but I lost it! Thankfully, a nice CM (nicer than the ones at Guest Relations) gave me hers. I almost cried!

GrumpyFan
04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Happy Birthday AK! Looking purty good at 10!

Gottaluvgoof
04-22-2008, 08:28 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANIMAL KINGDOM

:party::pixie::simba::monkey::dumbo::tigger:

The amazing thing to me though is the cost of admission. Holy Cow! My trip in September, with resort, park tickets, and free dining plan (How sweet it is) will add up to $58 per person, per day. Why in the world would anyone buy a one day ticket? :confused:

merlinmagic4
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm going to the wild decade event on Tuesday. Can't wait!

We were supposed to be there today! However, my son is not feeling well so we stayed "home" :( I'd love to hear about what went on. We saw some friends of ours who went Monday and said it was totally packed. What were the crowds like today?

KineGirl
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Its hard to believe its been 10 years! I remember being there the year it opened - my DD was 7 .. now shes 17! AK has grown so beautifully too. Its a park I love to slow down in and really enjoy. From the giant aloes to monkey island to scary yetis - its such an amazing park!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AK!!!!!!!!!

SpecJoe Magic
04-23-2008, 04:51 AM
Happy birthday to my second favorite WDW park! I have grown more fond of you over the years, and I hope that trend continues in the next ten years and beyond.

Carol
04-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Special birthday gift;
AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET(I):

Josh Gates (right), host of the Sci-Fi Channel series “Destination Truth,” presents a cast of what is believed to be a “yeti” footprint to Joe Rohde (left), vice president/executive designer of Walt Disney Imagineering, at the Expedition Everest attraction at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Gates and his expedition team found the footprint while filming an episode of “Destination Truth” in Nepal in November 2007. The cast will soon be placed on display at Expedition Everest, a Himalayan-themed, high-speed, coaster-like attraction where guests come face-to-face with a yeti.

GothMickey
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
I watch Destination Truth, and I saw that episode. Josh Gates just won major points with me.

Strmchsr
04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
That was a great episode and I can't think of a better place for that footprint to be on display. Kudos to Josh! :number1:

NJGIRL
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I watch that show too because it's on right after Ghost Hunters. While I find the show amusing I have yet to see him prove anything or even come close;)

GothMickey
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I watch that show too because it's on right after Ghost Hunters. While I find the show amusing I have yet to see him prove anything or even come close;)

I think he more or less tries to disprove the folk stories and claims of monsters. Still an interesting show though.

tinklover
04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I am so excitedabout this. I saw that episode, I watch every week after ghost hunters as well and can not wait to see teh print at AK when we go in June

CU Tiger
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
:birthday:

It does not seem like it has been 10 years.:mickey:

Magic Smiles
04-23-2008, 06:46 PM
I wonder if the footprint will be on display within the next couple of weeks? We arrive on the May 2nd.

LauraleeH
04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
So is this already on display? Or is there another one, maybe a fake one? Because we were there Saturday and went on the ride 3 times and we saw a Yeti cast. It was really cool, my brother really liked it.

MauiMouse
04-25-2008, 12:03 AM
There were some speakers and special events. They had 10,000 birthday pins and I had gotten one...but I lost it! Thankfully, a nice CM (nicer than the ones at Guest Relations) gave me hers. I almost cried!
I just got back and got to experience the opening dedication of Animal Kingdom last Tuesday. Joe Rhode also put on a special talk about Animal Kingdom through out the past 10 years, it was great.

I too got one of those birthday pins, it will be very special in deed. It was great to be a part of Animal Kingdom's 10th anniversary. Photos to follow soon on my home page.

Jeany031
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
happy Birthday Animal Kingdom! I really love this ride!